Explore the most popular trails near Columbus with hand-curated trail maps and driving directions as well as detailed reviews and photos from hikers, campers and nature lovers like you.

Columbus, Mississippi Map
VIEW FULL MAP

Fairly well maintained, ample resting spots (benches, etc). Just not overly exciting. The bluff trail look and lake trail are a little over 1.5 miles.

hiking
off trail
4 months ago

great trail !

SO MANY BEES! 2 trails currently open - Lake Trail is .5mi loop with not totally flat/smooth asphalt Bluff Trail is 1.1mi loop with elevation changes, steps and is mostly loose gravel.

paddle sports
7 months ago

Wife and I kayaker around this little lake, did not do the nature trail. $4 entrance fee, only bathroom we could find that was unlocked was at the sports complex. Looks like it may have once been great, but has gone down a good bit. Somewhat littered...

Fairly flat loop around Lake Lowndes that requires a 1.3 mile road walk to complete. Trail is marked with signs and green blazes nailed to trees. I had no trouble following the trail, but it might get overgrown in the summer. Numerous wet areas need to be negotiated. Most of the bridges are very dilapidated and need to be replaced. One such bridge shifted as I crossed it and sent me plunging into the creek. Fortunately only minor injuries from that fall. Overall, this hike could be one of the best in eastern Mississippi, but the trail infrastructure needs some TLC.

Well marked lovely trail with many small bridges. River views from steep bluff and also cypress swamps. Most of it is in decent shape although some of the steps are a little damaged by years of southern humidity. Some parts of the trail are a bit muddy today.

There are actually two trails. The Plymouth Bluff Trail hikes along a bluff area with views of the river below and has a few ravine crossings and then the River Trail goes along on a flatter section near the river and around a cypress swamp. Both combined trails are just over 4 miles with two different visual views of the river.

nice place but the trefoil was pretty bad

hiking
Mon Jul 23 2018

Great hike for a beginner. It is important to mind the trail markings and if you arent careful you can get off the trail without a clear way to get back. Best bet is to give yourself plenty of daylight to get back just in case. The trail is marked with green tree markers and in a couple spots have arrows to help...pay attention to them. You can see the lake for 75% of the hike, but it's the other 25% you have to be careful.

This was a descent morning hike that took approximately 2 hours to complete. The trail (green route) wraps around the lake, but hiking the loop requires walking on the park roads. There was a small entrance fee to the park. Some of the footbridges were in bad shape, but it made stream crossings more fun.

This is one of my go to hikes while in the Columbus area. It's a very simple but beautiful trail. It's not too strenuous to take my son and dog along with me. The only downside is having to dodge horse poo towards the end of the trail.

Not bad. The trail is run down in a few areas. Definitely a challenge.

Great trails! Because of the recent weather there were several muddy areas but still not enough to make the trail unenjoyable if anything it made it more entertaining.

Great nature trail about 17 miles from Columbus, MS.

hiking
4 months ago

hiking
Sat Sep 08 2018

hiking
Wed Jun 20 2018

hiking
Sat Mar 24 2018

hiking
Fri Feb 23 2018

hiking
Wed Jan 31 2018

hiking
Sat Jan 06 2018

hiking
Fri Oct 06 2017

Load More