Whiskey Mountain Trail

Whiskey Mountain Trail is a 14.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Dubois, Wyoming that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

If you're in the area and want a hike that will give you an amazing view of the Teton, Absaroka, and Wind River ranges, Whiskey Mountain Trail is the one you want! The wind was helacious when I went on this hike with gusts up to 70mph, but the experience was worth it! It was a long day hike (8.5 hours) from the Wildlife Viewing Station to the summit then down through Whiskey Creek Canyon and back to the Wildlife Viewing Station. Hiking this in June guarentees you beautiful views of wildflowers, elk herds, and snow-capped mountains.
It's definitely a challenging hike, so trekking poles are highly advised. Also, bring extra layers and lots of water! There are no places to fill up while on the trail. Snowbanks offer an emergency source of water, but only through June since they melt by July. Bear spray is also required in this area. My group saw several bear tracks and scat in addition to fresh wolf prints. Overall, an awesome hike!

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Still lots of snow and a bit of mud in June, made parts difficult.

Sunday, February 02, 2014

I took 18 guys from Dallas to do this by backpacking in and doing some fly-fishing. I was the leader of the group. This was one of my early days of hiking. I was told that it was an easy hike. I was four months out from having my entire right leg re-aligned. Let's just say I struggled. The switch backs the first several miles straight up are tough with a fifty pound pack on. Beautiful country though with awesome views. I want to go back now that I'm more experienced and in better shape.

Monday, August 01, 2011

This trail is in Dubois, Wyoming - NOT Cody

Monday, April 05, 2010

Summit is 11157 ft. Many switchbacks, very strenuous. The view of Ross Lake is stunning.

Sunday, August 20, 2017