Upper Geyser Basin and Old Faithful Observation Point Loop

Upper Geyser Basin and Old Faithful Observation Point Loop is a 4.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming that features hot springs and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from May until October.

hot springs

Yellowstone National Park PO Box 168 Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190-0168 307-344-7381 (recorded information and an option to speak with someone) Additional info: http://www.nps.gov/yell/contacts.htm

We were able to go in late October. It was a wonderful hike since we were about the only ones there!!! We saw lots of bison and such interesting and magnificent scenery!

I guess if you are going to show some out of town folks Old Faithful and want to call it a hike, this would be the route, but not really something I’d do again unless that was the exact goal. Hiking up to observation point started to feel like I was finally hiking but then by the time I got away from the crowds of people we began to descend into them again. Views of a bunch of tourists waiting for Old Faithful to erupt, and a river bridge, and a descent view overlooking the other side of the lodge. Good if it’s your first time in the park and just want to walk around.

Old Faithful is way too hyped up. Its predictably is about all that’s notable. Beyond that it’s jammed with bus upon bus of tourists who leaving thinking “that was it?”. My recommendation is to get away from the main events and hike to some waterfalls - Mystic, Fairy, Osprey. They are not difficult to get to and you’ll taste more of the ruggedness and beauty of Yellowstone.

Unbelievable sights!

Very Unique geological experience

Too many rv

Went in July 2016.

Crowded

Enjoyed the walk... only failing was my own in not getting a walking guide to know more. Is there an app for information on the geyser walk?

A Yosemite tradition. Just do it. :)

Great way to watch the beautiful Old Faithful erupt. Much better than experiencing the event with all the people at the base.

Very neat set of geysers. Morning glory pool is my favorite one.

Very nice trail whit a lot pools and geyser

Incredible. 9'ly 4 places on earth

If you'd like to enjoy Old Faithful's eruption, without the crowds, take the short hike to observation point.

Easy trail but amazing things to see. We had it all to ourselves today.

A great trail to show the main features of what makes Yellowstone unique. My favorite geyser is Grand Geyser, so if the prediction is close, get over there. it is SO worth it

Friday, December 02, 2016

amazing!

Saturday, November 05, 2016

Nice walk around the board walk for geyser observation. We did the Viewpoint trail (rated easy) for great views of the Geyser basin. The Solitary Geyser on that trail was a bit disappointing (only erupts 1metre high) but the walk was nice.