Turtle Rock Loop Trail

Turtle Rock Loop Trail is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Laramie, Wyoming that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

From Laramie, WY, drive east on I-80 for 12 miles. Exit at Vedauwoo Road. Turn left to cross under the interstate and follow Vedauwoo Road for 1.2 miles to the campground entry gate. Turn left into the campground area and proceed 0.5 mile to a small gravel parking area on the left.

The trial was beautiful. Got lost and never finished trail. Going to invest and get the pro app. Will do again and rate again when completed.

My first hike, really enjoyed it. Not bad, being a fresh beginner I found some part harder than most. Beautiful scenery. Didn't see any animals other than chipmunks but still fun.

Very nice trail! I really enjoyed it!

Wyoming is so pretty. Easy family hike with lots of places to stop a take in the beauty

Surprisingly great walk. Mostly shaded, and has some variety, not a flat.

Nice hike, lots of shade!

Easy hike, more an out and back loop but I think we lost it at one point and just went up some rocks and back down so as not to get lost. beautiful scenery everywhere you look. I absolutely loved camping here though. Most beautiful place I've been so far for camping.

We liked it, certainly a beautiful area. I do wonder where some of those diverging trails went.

Great trail, very scenic.

Great trail, no crowds, lots of shady spots

Okay for a little hike, especially if you’ve never seen the neat rocks. It’s not marked very well, so allow more time than you think you’ll need in case you get a little lost. Super buggy in the middle of summer, so wear bug repellent.

Nice easy walk beautiful views

This is a hiking trail, NOT a mountain biking trail. If hiking, I would have rated it much higher. The scenery was very pretty. We were here in the middle of June, wear bug spray.

The trail is a loop but it was really easy to loose the trail. We met another group who had also lost the trail and had just given up.

well..all in all real pretty. however trails are not marked real well from the parking lots. I ran into several groups trying to find where it left from. as well, I had to hike the road to find my truck. not a fan of that. a bit confusing. c'mon forest service...you can do better.

Nice trail beautiful views. Family friendly.

nice hike....really like seeing the rock climbers out there. We did go off the trail for a while....wound up on the hill/mountain next to turtle rock then realized we didn't have have an easy way to get back to the parking lot so we made our way back to the trail and and finished it up. No matter if you stay on the trail or venture off a bit it's worth the trip out here especially if you are not used to seeing the giant rocks....it's pretty amazing seeing them for the first time....and after the first time it's pretty darn good too.

What a beautiful area! The abundance of trails and relatively gentle grade of the area made it easy to create a larger loop of our own (we ended up at ~8.5 miles), though many of the trails were muddy and the lingering snow patches meant that we twice lost the trail and bushwhacked until we ran into another one. The campground gate is closed for the season, so there are no entry fees to be paid but you will need to walk down the park road for about a half mile to get to the trailhead. Oh, and we saw a moose, which was icing on the already delicious cake!

Loved this hike. Didn't see anyone else on the actual trails the entire time I was hiking. I ventured off of this trail onto a couple of the other trails that veer off this trail. Ended up doing approximately 7 miles. It wasn't marked at all on those trails so I relied heavily on the map on this app. Was 50's on October 12th. Some snow on the trails but easy to navigate.

Great Hike.. Started out on Hwy 80 and hiked in to the Trail Head.. Very peaceful relaxing hike.. Seen other hikers with dogs.. Animals have to be on a leash.. No horses allowed.. From the Hwy to TH and back it is around 6.1 miles.. Happy Trails!!

Our favorite...

Easy and beautiful hike for a short day trip!

Nice little hike. Fairly scenic, not too strenuous. You will find more people on the front leg of the trail as they seem to like to go to the rock formation and turn around. I saw about 15 people on the way out and only 2 on the way back (past the rock formation). If you don't want to see many people, take the reverse route and turn around at the formation.

great views if you scramble a little

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Real easy and peaceful hike. Took my Doberman there and she loved it. Would recommend this trail to everyone. I'm also new to the area , and I'm not use to Wyomings state parks. But make sure you bring at least $20 cash because there is a $5 fee to enter and a $10 camping fee and you have to put in an envelope. If you forget cash you'll have to drive to Buford for the nearest ATM. It's just up the highway.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Gorgeous family friendly trail with plenty of opportunity for the kids to climb around on the rocks. Even on a hot day, the trail is short and provides plenty of shade opportunities. We went on a Saturday and saw 5-6 other families as well, but I would still go again. If you went on a weekday, I suspect you'd have the entire place to yourself.

I'm also a trail runner and will be back to do a few loops on this trail. It would work well for long run days, just keep your aid in your vehicle and hit it each 2.8 mile loop.

Saturday, July 22, 2017

This is an easy loop with rocky outcrops and nice views of the surrounding area. There are some beaver ponds along the creek, with waterfowl and beautiful mountain flowers. Bring a fleece or windbreaker because the elevation is +8,000 ft., and after all it is Wyoming (windy). The most exciting part of the trip aside from being there with my good friends, was watching rock climbers at the Veedauwoo climbing area.

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Hiked the two mile trail and camped. Very peaceful and dry and cool at night. If in WY a must see.

Monday, May 15, 2017

my wife and I enjoyed turtle trails, nice scenic veiws.

Monday, May 08, 2017

Nice and easy loop trail with a trail off of the backside that leads to more trails. The farther you you go the quieter it gets. Keep your eyes peeled for moose.

Monday, April 17, 2017

I love this trail! It's one of my favorites and I can't imagine anyone would tire of it. The scenery is utterly magnificent and varied - huge boulders and rock formations, pine and aspen woodland, ponds and streams with willow, beaver ponds (saw the signs of beaver activity yesterday), alpine paths . . . Vedauwoo is scared to the Arapaho - and if its your first visit you'll very soon understand why it's known as the place of the earth born spirits. The geology is spectacular. There are wildflowers, shrubs, and trees that vary according to which part of the trail you're on, and a wide variety of birds and animal wildlife. I've seen bobcat and black bear prints - OK, the latter only on one occasion about three years ago, but then clearly visible. There are definitely moose. We'd walked the trail at least 7 or 8 times before we saw one, yesterday. (And it was agitated about some other hikers with a dog, so if you see one and have a canine hiking companion its best to keep walking.)
As visitors to Laramie each year, my husband and I always hike Turtle Rock Trail at least once. At weekends, in good weather, it's quite - sometimes very - busy. During the week, you can walk it and meet just two or three people. We usually visit in late winter, early spring, so conditions vary where snow is concerned. At this time of the year, you park beyond the ranger / pay booth. Don't walk down the road to the trail - take the easy-to-follow path that leads beyond the fence from the left-hand side of the booth car park. Enjoy - this is a shortish trail, but one to remember. If you want a shorter walk, you can cut out the pine and aspen woods section and pick up the trail by the beaver ponds - but I'd not want to miss the woodland. Clearly signposted. Difficulty: easy to moderate, depending on your fitness.