Turtle Rock Loop Trail

Turtle Rock Loop Trail is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Laramie, Wyoming that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

: From Laramie, WY, drive east on I-80 for 12 miles and exit at Vedauwoo Road. Turn left to cross under the interstate, and follow Vedauwoo Road for 1.2 miles to the campground entry gate. Turn left into the campground area and proceed 0.5 mile to a small gravel parking area on the left.

Gorgeous family friendly trail with plenty of opportunity for the kids to climb around on the rocks. Even on a hot day, the trail is short and provides plenty of shade opportunities. We went on a Saturday and saw 5-6 other families as well, but I would still go again. If you went on a weekday, I suspect you'd have the entire place to yourself.

I'm also a trail runner and will be back to do a few loops on this trail. It would work well for long run days, just keep your aid in your vehicle and hit it each 2.8 mile loop.

This is an easy loop with rocky outcrops and nice views of the surrounding area. There are some beaver ponds along the creek, with waterfowl and beautiful mountain flowers. Bring a fleece or windbreaker because the elevation is +8,000 ft., and after all it is Wyoming (windy). The most exciting part of the trip aside from being there with my good friends, was watching rock climbers at the Veedauwoo climbing area.

Hiked the two mile trail and camped. Very peaceful and dry and cool at night. If in WY a must see.

my wife and I enjoyed turtle trails, nice scenic veiws.

Nice and easy loop trail with a trail off of the backside that leads to more trails. The farther you you go the quieter it gets. Keep your eyes peeled for moose.

I love this trail! It's one of my favorites and I can't imagine anyone would tire of it. The scenery is utterly magnificent and varied - huge boulders and rock formations, pine and aspen woodland, ponds and streams with willow, beaver ponds (saw the signs of beaver activity yesterday), alpine paths . . . Vedauwoo is scared to the Arapaho - and if its your first visit you'll very soon understand why it's known as the place of the earth born spirits. The geology is spectacular. There are wildflowers, shrubs, and trees that vary according to which part of the trail you're on, and a wide variety of birds and animal wildlife. I've seen bobcat and black bear prints - OK, the latter only on one occasion about three years ago, but then clearly visible. There are definitely moose. We'd walked the trail at least 7 or 8 times before we saw one, yesterday. (And it was agitated about some other hikers with a dog, so if you see one and have a canine hiking companion its best to keep walking.)
As visitors to Laramie each year, my husband and I always hike Turtle Rock Trail at least once. At weekends, in good weather, it's quite - sometimes very - busy. During the week, you can walk it and meet just two or three people. We usually visit in late winter, early spring, so conditions vary where snow is concerned. At this time of the year, you park beyond the ranger / pay booth. Don't walk down the road to the trail - take the easy-to-follow path that leads beyond the fence from the left-hand side of the booth car park. Enjoy - this is a shortish trail, but one to remember. If you want a shorter walk, you can cut out the pine and aspen woods section and pick up the trail by the beaver ponds - but I'd not want to miss the woodland. Clearly signposted. Difficulty: easy to moderate, depending on your fitness.

Nice and easy trail just outside of Laramie. Rock formations were interesting and we saw a lynx!

Beautiful hike. Would have been better without the 5 classes of 5th graders :)