Turtle Rock Loop Trail

Turtle Rock Loop Trail is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Laramie, Wyoming that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

: From Laramie, WY, drive east on I-80 for 12 miles and exit at Vedauwoo Road. Turn left to cross under the interstate, and follow Vedauwoo Road for 1.2 miles to the campground entry gate. Turn left into the campground area and proceed 0.5 mile to a small gravel parking area on the left.

I love this trail! It's one of my favorites and I can't imagine anyone would tire of it. The scenery is utterly magnificent and varied - huge boulders and rock formations, pine and aspen woodland, ponds and streams with willow, beaver ponds (saw the signs of beaver activity yesterday), alpine paths . . . Vedauwoo is scared to the Arapaho - and if its your first visit you'll very soon understand why it's known as the place of the earth born spirits. The geology is spectacular. There are wildflowers, shrubs, and trees that vary according to which part of the trail you're on, and a wide variety of birds and animal wildlife. I've seen bobcat and black bear prints - OK, the latter only on one occasion about three years ago, but then clearly visible. There are definitely moose. We'd walked the trail at least 7 or 8 times before we saw one, yesterday. (And it was agitated about some other hikers with a dog, so if you see one and have a canine hiking companion its best to keep walking.)
As visitors to Laramie each year, my husband and I always hike Turtle Rock Trail at least once. At weekends, in good weather, it's quite - sometimes very - busy. During the week, you can walk it and meet just two or three people. We usually visit in late winter, early spring, so conditions vary where snow is concerned. At this time of the year, you park beyond the ranger / pay booth. Don't walk down the road to the trail - take the easy-to-follow path that leads beyond the fence from the left-hand side of the booth car park. Enjoy - this is a shortish trail, but one to remember. If you want a shorter walk, you can cut out the pine and aspen woods section and pick up the trail by the beaver ponds - but I'd not want to miss the woodland. Clearly signposted. Difficulty: easy to moderate, depending on your fitness.

Nice and easy trail just outside of Laramie. Rock formations were interesting and we saw a lynx!

Beautiful hike. Would have been better without the 5 classes of 5th graders :)

It was beautiful and not an overly exerting hike. I will be going back again.

Very good trail for beginners who want to learn to ride some rocks and roots but nothing "scary" by any means. Some loose sand or light gravel in some spots. Only a couple of spots they had to walk but an advanced rider won't have an issue.

Minimal elevation gain so great with dogs. There is a creek on the right side of the rock (see map pic. Blue dot is where the creek is for dogs).

Great family ride but still need good bikes. Don't bring your 30 year old cruiser. Tons of trails all over. All levels. It got the teen boy interested in riding with me!

It was an easy hike, mellow and nice scenery. There were lots of families of all ages around. So for those who are newbie hikers or have little ones it's a great little hike. Lots of places to picnic at so pack a lunch, a camera and some binoculars because there are moose around the area as well. We saw three a couple summers ago.

A nice little hike, the scenery doesn't change much but I grew up here.

Great trail with easy signage. The area is beautiful and the trail is in great condition. Ran into a herd of cattle... So that was interesting!

A great family trail. It is moderately trafficked. Very easy to access from I-80. The trail is in great shape right now.

Haven't been on a hike in forever and was not disappointed when my boyfriend and I decided to go here on they last day I was there on 05/28/2016! There is definitely some beautiful scenery on this trail!!