Tongue River Canyon

Tongue River Canyon is a 3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Dayton, Wyoming that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The views are simply beautiful. We took our dog who is not a trail hiker and she did just fine. The terrain is easy to navigate, with a few steep stretches but overall, easily doable for all. The signage is very vague and does not provide information on trail distance. If you make it to the small creek crossing with log to other side, that is your 2 mike marker. Our dog loved the dipping stop. The trail is active with hikers. We did talk with one seasoned trail hiker and she warned us of rattlesnakes past the creek. She ran into 2 not too up and turned around at that point. She also stated she has never seen them on the path to the creek and she has climbed this trail many times. Highly recommend the hike!

Beautiful as always. Have hiked this trail since I was a little girl. Take the time to jaunt across the bridge and up to the cave-very worth it. Then come back down and hang a left to hike up out of the canyon. The trail will actually eventually lead you to FSR 196 near Bear Lodge (grab lunch!) But that’s about shy of 11 miles one way.

Enjoyed this hike. Kids were able to do this hike well too.

Amazing trail, the views are second to none, just see the photos. This trails engages all 3 senses. Alongside the amazing views, there is the sound of the Tongue river rapids the whole way and the vegetation gives off lovely smells. We started the trail 1.ilea from the trail head where the road narrows because it was not possible to drive an RV closer, but this nicely extended the trail to about 11km up and back. Not to be missed.

First time, had a blast!

I loved this trail! It was a perfect hike. If I didn’t stop and take so many photos I’m sure it would have only been an hour and a half hike. I saw some rock climbers on my way through. As you’re hiking up don’t forget to look back every once in a while. The views are beautiful. However I’m not sure if this is a western thing or not but there was no clear marking to the end of the trail. I kept going past the marker that the app used and I stopped at a meadow at the top

Absolutely relaxation. Beautiful walk

Beautiful canyon, easy to follow trail, shady trailhead with pit toilets. Lots of poison oak along the trail, watch out.