Tongue River Canyon is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Dayton, Wyoming that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.7 miles Elevation Gain: 830 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Absolutely beautiful. Trail was dry. Started out mid morning and the weather was perfect. Saw a rattlesnake right on the trail about 3.5 miles in. Hiked with a 11, 12, and 13 year old and made it about 4.3 miles then turned around. Definitely worth the drive to get there.

Awesome trail!! Will do again!!

Beautiful trail with amazing vistas, raging river, beautiful meadows. Will definitely hike again.

Had an amazing time the weather was beautiful and clear, trail was nice and clear no problems

Fun trail

Pretty amazing hike through the woods along the stream. Lovely views. Highly recommended.

Favorite hike in the area.

Hiked in 3 miles from TH. Turned around at Sheep Creek crossing. Trail was dry and in good shape.

beautiful trail, very hot on that side of the canyon.

Absolutely gorgeous! Not sure how far we hiked, but this trail follows the river. You hike up the canyon. The views are stunning! Waterfalls, mountains, canyon walls are all so beautiful. We crossed Sheep creek, then hiked up through the meadow to the controlled burn sign, then turned around. Took 4 hours, taking our time to enjoy the views. Did it the day after an all day rain and wasn't muddy at all.

This hike was a birthday present to myself and it was as if there was a gift around every corner. If you like towering cliffs and a clear mountain-fed river this is for you. The rushing river music was like surround sound. The ups and downs were reasonable and the path was clear although be sure not to cross the bridge about 1/4 of the way in. There is camping shortly before the trailhead. Limited shade along the way. Not sure why the show this as a 5 mile hike. The trail continues for many miles. For me it was great.

Love love love this trail. We didn’t do the whole thing yet, but we will be back. It’s gorgeous everywhere you look.

Do not cross the bridge. We didn't realize the trail is straight past the bridge (there is a marker, but slightly hidden by bushes and past the bridge). So we were confused. There is a cool bat cave up there, but isn't the hike :) Quite warm in august with very limited shade. Gorgeous canyon.

Good hike! Very scenic. Trailhead has parking for about 10-12 cars and has a latrine. The trail continues on past the red line trail on the app. It's a nice incline hike if you elect to go further.

Started at Freeze Out Point early AM. Hiked to the bottom to the parking lot at Tongue River Canyon trailhead. Great views and a fun hike. A steep and steady decent into Tongue River Canyon. Can get pretty hot later in the day with limited shade.

I walked mostly on a dirt road, but very beautiful and took many photographs I 'll enjoy. Next time, I 'll go further.

Sat Jun 01 2019

I love this trail. Its very easy to travel and it is so close to my home. The scenery is absolutely stunning anytime of the year. There is no real end to the trail, you just decide when you’ve went far enough and head back out. I’ve heard you can follow the trail all the way to Bear Lodge, I haven’t been ambitious enough yet to make that hike.

Sun May 19 2019

Mon Apr 22 2019

Beautifully scenic hike along the riverbank. Not too steep, good for most hikers and dogs. The road to the trailhead is gravel and when we visited (late April) there were several divots that made for a bumpy ride, but we managed in a Nissan Altima. Remember to clean up after your dog if you bring one!

Fri Apr 05 2019

Great trail with a beautiful view of the canyon walls, especially once you reach the meadow 2 miles up. Word of advice though: if you don’t want to go straight up for the first bit and you just want to hike the canyon then don’t cross the bridge at the beginning of the trail. Continue straight. If you cross the bridge then it’s 0.2/0.3 miles to a cave and back. It’s a pretty steep incline to start with but doable. Apparently the cave is open to explore starting April 15 so that may be cool to check out. Otherwise, if you skip the bridge and continue straight then you hike along the canyon to a meadow (which is where I turned around). You can go much farther than that though. I believe Burgess Pass is 9.1 miles from the start. So that’s what I’m going to go back and do. However, for what I did today, it’s a great day hike! Perfect for dogs!

Thu Mar 21 2019

absolutely loved this trail. there is some camping at the base but it looks like it's very primitive. be sure to bring your own toilet paper! the toilet is honestly very gross... but the hike itself is amazing and well kept. bring your own water and a good pair of hiking shoes.

Wed Mar 20 2019

Gorgeous trail coming up through the canyon. I don’t know that I’d qualify it as “easy” as it’s mostly uphill and there are some steep sections. Not sure why it says it’s only three miles as this trail goes almost all the way to Burgess Junction. We just went to the first creek crossing, had lunch, and came back. Great views!

Mon Jan 21 2019

Sun Oct 07 2018

This was our first trail hike when we arrived in WY! It did NOT disappoint. Great scenery and easy terrain for the entire family and the dog! GORGEOUS views!

Mon Sep 17 2018

Narrow drive along river to trailhead was hard to manage when meeting car coming in opposite direction. Nice walk along river. Popular trail with lots of campers and hikers for late September. Glad we looked up to see neat "hole" rock formation near trailhead on walk back.