Titcomb Basin Trail

Titcomb Basin Trail is a 27.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Pinedale, Wyoming that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

rock climbing

This trailhead is located about 1 mile south and high above the upper end of Fremont Lake. To reach the trailhead from Pinedale, drive to the east side of town and turn northeast onto the Fremont Lake road, passing the Pinedale Ranger District Office. Continue straight on the main road, avoid turning on to the Fremont Lake campground road, passing the National Forest boundary in about 4 miles. The road passes Halfmoon Lake and White Pine Ski Area before arriving at the trailhead, 16 miles from Pinedale.

3 minutes ago

Bugs were light, trail was continuously scenic, weather was great.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

This trail has some of the most spectacular scenery ever! We camped the first night at Sapphire Lake (west of Hobbs). We had it to ourselves and it was a great spot. The next day we did a day hike to Island Lake and Titcomb Basin. I don't know if I've ever seen any more spectacular scenery. Seneca Lake looks incredible. Then, the view from the 2nd pass down toward Island is top notch. Then, the area in Titcomb Basin looks like you are in another world with the jagged mountains coming up out of the water! Our third night we camped at Eklund Lake. The trail that goes above the Lake has a view of the lake and the Wind Rivers in the background that is also incredible! I woke up before the sun came up and there was fog everywhere and the pictures were incredible and I felt like I was in the Smoky Rocky Mountains! Tough trail, but so worth it, you won't even notice the pain :)

Thursday, October 02, 2014

Titcomb Basin and Island Lake couldn't be more scenic. The first half of the trail is a gentle incline but the last half is a series of sever up and down sections. We're thinking about returning again next year and utiIzing the services of a local outfitter who can haul our packs to Island Lake. That way, we can hike in with light day packs.

We hiked the trail during the weekend BEFORE Labor Day and it snowed. Always be prepared for adverse weather in the Winds.

Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Breathtaking beauty at every turn. Went in early August, the wild flowers were in bloom as were the Mosquitos, bring bug spray or a net.

Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Amazing. Take bear spray and have the time of your life.

Tuesday, August 06, 2013

This is one of my favorite areas in the Wind Rivers. I love to day hike into this basin. The mountains are amazing. A friend and myself were the only ones there a couple of years ago. It was the middle of September though and we had to leave a day early because it started to snow.

Monday, July 29, 2013

This is one of my favorite hikes in the Wind Rivers. It can get crowded in July and August so brave a little bit of cold weather or even snow and go in September. The views once you get to Island Lake are amazing.