Titcomb Basin Trail

Titcomb Basin Trail is a 27.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Pinedale, Wyoming that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

This trailhead is located about 1 mile south and high above the upper end of Fremont Lake. To reach the trailhead from Pinedale, drive to the east side of town and turn northeast onto the Fremont Lake road, passing the Pinedale Ranger District Office. Continue straight on the main road, avoid turning on to the Fremont Lake campground road, passing the National Forest boundary in about 4 miles. The road passes Halfmoon Lake and White Pine Ski Area before arriving at the trailhead, 16 miles from Pinedale.

although it really is gorgeous, it has become overrun with people. There were 32 cars in the parking lot this morning, and I couldn't go more than a mile without stepping off trail for another hiker or a pack team. the area is really starting to show the use. I liked the trail, and am happy to have gone, but I would highly suggest branching off from this trail to another less used trail.

Did this gorgeous hike July 22nd-25th. Started the hike late on Sunday and decided to camp at Miller Lake. We had the entire place to ourselves! We spent two nights at Island Lake and hiked to the basin and back for a day trip. The weather was incredible, but the bugs were incessant. I’d definitely recommend deet, long sleeves and pants, and a face net. Even with all of those items, it was still rough to stand still outside of the tent for longer than 10 minutes. The scenery was out of this world, and I would gladly do this hike again. It was more challenging than people made it out to be, but it was not brutal.

Easy access to the trailhead. Trail was a little crowded, but not terrible. Trails were well maintained.

Mosquitoes during our trip were bad if there was not a strong breeze, but the water made the wild flowers amazing to view.

Views from Seneca lake on were absolute stunning. The basin was amazing. Island lake was the most crowded area, but if you try hard you can find a good campsite anywhere.

I imagine in the later part of summer the streams and lakes will be much drier which would make parts of the hike easier, but also would take a little bit away from the views.

Mosquitos are as bad as advertised. Scenery is so out of this world that who cares about the bugs?

Did this in two nights with one campground above Island Lake. Snow, mud, and stream crossings were the biggest obstacle. As summer continues, the snow will melt, the mud will dry, the streams settle. Definitely doable. No need for traction.

Just watch out for post holing, snow is getting unstable in places.

The most difficult part is the last 5 miles back to the trailhead. And that is all mental.

Yes, fairly crowded for the backcountry, but the sort of people who do hikes like this seem like all right people to me.

Even with all the crowds it’s worth going once. Great views and easy well marked trail. Wish this was a foot travel only area and no stock animals.

Beautiful but very crowded!

Bugs were light, trail was continuously scenic, weather was great.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

This trail has some of the most spectacular scenery ever! We camped the first night at Sapphire Lake (west of Hobbs). We had it to ourselves and it was a great spot. The next day we did a day hike to Island Lake and Titcomb Basin. I don't know if I've ever seen any more spectacular scenery. Seneca Lake looks incredible. Then, the view from the 2nd pass down toward Island is top notch. Then, the area in Titcomb Basin looks like you are in another world with the jagged mountains coming up out of the water! Our third night we camped at Eklund Lake. The trail that goes above the Lake has a view of the lake and the Wind Rivers in the background that is also incredible! I woke up before the sun came up and there was fog everywhere and the pictures were incredible and I felt like I was in the Smoky Rocky Mountains! Tough trail, but so worth it, you won't even notice the pain :)

Thursday, October 02, 2014

Titcomb Basin and Island Lake couldn't be more scenic. The first half of the trail is a gentle incline but the last half is a series of sever up and down sections. We're thinking about returning again next year and utiIzing the services of a local outfitter who can haul our packs to Island Lake. That way, we can hike in with light day packs.

We hiked the trail during the weekend BEFORE Labor Day and it snowed. Always be prepared for adverse weather in the Winds.

Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Breathtaking beauty at every turn. Went in early August, the wild flowers were in bloom as were the Mosquitos, bring bug spray or a net.

Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Amazing. Take bear spray and have the time of your life.

Tuesday, August 06, 2013

This is one of my favorite areas in the Wind Rivers. I love to day hike into this basin. The mountains are amazing. A friend and myself were the only ones there a couple of years ago. It was the middle of September though and we had to leave a day early because it started to snow.

Monday, July 29, 2013

This is one of my favorite hikes in the Wind Rivers. It can get crowded in July and August so brave a little bit of cold weather or even snow and go in September. The views once you get to Island Lake are amazing.