The Grand Teton Loop Trail is a 34.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Moose, Wyoming that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Length34.3 miElevation gain7,060 ftRoute typeLoop
BackpackingCampingHikingNature tripsBird watchingForestLakeRiverViewsWaterfallwild-flowersWildlifeRockyFeeNo dogs
Description
Waypoints (0)
Contact

Grand Teton National Park charges a fee to enter. Fees are $35 per vehicle or $30 per motorcycle. If you are entering on foot, horse, or bike the fee is $20 per person. You can also purchase a park specific annual pass for $70. Parking at South Jenny Lake is extremely limited during the summer season. Plan on arriving early, before 9:00 am, or plan to visit late in the day, after 4:00 pm to have the best chance of finding a parking space.

Grand Teton National Park P.O. Drawer 170 Moose, WY 83012-0170 Information (307) 739-3300 More information: http://www.nps.gov/grte/contacts.htm

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (60)
Photos (116)
Recordings (18)
Completed (238)
Carlos Medina
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 7, 2020

Amazing hike!

View Carlos's Recording
Dan Schaffer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 4, 2020

it is 36, amazing and tough

View Dan's Recording
Malcolm Hicken
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 19, 2020

Great hike. We started from the String Lake trailhead bridge at 8:30 am on Friday, September 18th and ended at the Death Canyon trailhead at 7 pm. It took 10.5 hours. We think it was about 25 miles. The Alltrails distance estimate is too low. We didn't do the 10-11 mile section on the east side, leaving a car at each trailhead. There were a few downed trees coming down from Static Peak Divide at the part where we were about to reach the Death Canyon trail. It was smoky so the views weren't as good as they could be but still beautiful.

Philip Moreira
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 18, 2020
HikingGreat!

September 15 to Sept 16 2020 This was an absolutely gorgeous hike. Really one of the most spectacular and I highly recommend it to anyone. However, the distances are highly inaccurate. I’ve tracked all my hikes outside the app and they have always agreed very closely with AllTrails; this hike though, just from the Death Canyon Trailhead to Jenny Lake I clocked at 30-31 miles. There are an incredible number of switchbacks not accounted for on the map. The entire loop is somewhere in the 40+ mile range. We completed Death Canyon Trailhead to Jenny Lake in 2 days getting on trail late morning each day. Permits were not available for several days due to unusually high COVID related tourism so we had to camp in the Alaskan Basin; highly recommend camping there. Trails are very well marked. No micro-spikes needed. Temps were great (70s day 40s night when we did it). We completed the final section independently as a day hike, so total time for lots of picture stops and 2-3 meals plus chatting with people on trial breaks etc was 3 days or about 23 hours. Didn’t see any bears, but plenty of scat. Lots of small wildlife, plenty of birds, and two unusually large porcupines. My girlfriend suffered from altitude sickness on this hike so take caution (headache, tachycardia, nausea, fatigue, poor appetite). We got back safely but please be aware and be safe. We’re both from the East Coast for reference.

Richard Perrine
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 8, 2020
HikingGreat!

Absolutely gorgeous, especially the East side of the mountains. The West side gets much more rocky and arid. I started and finished the loop Sunday, September 6. A tad shy of 15 hours. I absolutely recommend this loop. There was plenty of refreshing cold water flowing on the west, but not much on the east. There was no need to bring in heavy bladder of water. A simple filtration system was all that was needed. So many different terrains, sights, smells, etc. Although I did not see any bears, there were at least three different sightings from other hikers on the East of the mountains. Bring bear spray, aerosol horn, and be attentive.

Mitchell R.
CampingGreat!

Absolutely incredible hike. We completed it over 2 days, having gone to Sunset Lake (in the national forest) over the course of the first day - and all the way back to the start on the second day. For those that don’t have a permit, it is possible to legally camp in the national forest without a permit, so this is a possible option - however I’d highly recommend doing this over 3 days. The second day was extremely long for us and made it a tad more difficult to enjoy over the last few hours. We completed the hike on September 7th, no ice/cramp-one needed. Stunning hike overall, highly recommended!

Dan Schaffer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 6, 2020
View Dan's Recording
Summer Dunn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 26, 2020
RunningGreat!

Completed the whole loop on August 25, 2020. I couldn’t find any reviews or information on people doing it in one day but based on elevation gain and mileage I knew it was possible. We started a little before 7am at the Lupine Meadows trailhead. We did the loop starting with Bradley/ Taggert Lakes, on to Phelps Lake and up Death Canyon to the Static Peak divide. Then dropping to Sunset Lake and climbing up to Hurricane Pass before dropping Cascade Canyon to Jenny Lake and heading back to Lupine Meadows. The highlight was definitely Sunset Lake and then coming up on the back side of the Teton Peaks at Hurricane Pass. Every part of the hike was gorgeous in it’s own way. This loop lets you experience every type of terrain in Grand Teton. The climbing was challenging, but not horrible and poles were helpful. We didn’t have a problem with snow but it has been a warm year. The biggest challenge that most of our group noted was the high elevation. We had done some hikes up above 10,000 feet to prepare but did not realize how much time you have to spend above 10,000.... about 8 miles. We just carried a filter and there was plenty of water sources a long the way. We saw an elk and a lot of bear scat, but no bear encounters. With hiking the up and running the down and some of the flats, plus lots of breaks for snacks and pictures we finished with 36 miles in about 12 hours. As we got to our car it started to rain and lightening, so perfect timing with weather! The beauty was incredible and this will always be a hike that I remember! Highly, highly recommend!!!!!

ryan vorwerk
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 21, 2020
HikingGreat!

I did an approximately 50 mile loop of this trail last week. Insane beauty everywhere from the dense lush green forests down low, to the lakes and wildflowers at mid elevations, and the views way up high. Got lucky and had perfect weather for my 4 days. Highly recommend

Troy Jassey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 23, 2020
Hiking

Completed July 25th 2020. Awesome loop. Note while my 40 mile recording is a couple of miles long i believe this loop to be closer to 38 miles end to end. Started and stopped at Jenny Lake spending night 1 at Phelps lake and night 2 at Sunset lake in Alaska Basin. Booked permit in February. Picking it up was a hassle, was in line by 730 (didn’t open until 9) with probably 8-10 groups already in front. Even though I just needed to pick up the permit had to wait behind all the folks without permits who were trying to cobble together trips with very limited availability each taking 15 minutes or so. Didnt get out until almost 11am. Was frustrating to not have a more efficient process to just pick up the permit. Apart from that trip was awesome. Weather was perfect, warm enough to swim in Phelps lake after doing 13.5 day 1. Day 2 saw the big climb up death canyon over static peak divide. Almost 5 hours climbing was beautiful. On the back side we started to hit more and more snow. We last minute added microspikes and am very glad we did as we needed them off and on for the next 4-5 miles. Felt much much safer with them. Trail was tough to follow in spots due to the snow and got a little off track at one point due to not paying close enough attention to gps. Sunset lake night 2 was beautiful, lots of people camping but didn’t feel too crowded. Final day was big descent down cascade canyon. This was honestly probably the most beautiful descent I have ever done. Spectacular mountains, waterfalls, woods, and a very nicely graded trail. One of my favorite days ever. All the stuff on the Jenny lake side had a lot of day hikers, many great hikes there. Everything on the back side was much more remote and rugged so good options based on experience/desired difficulty level. Will also add that the vast majority of this trail was very nicely developed and reasonably graded for the elevation gain/loss. Tons of water throughout. Saw 2 bears, numerous moose, marmots.

View Troy's Recording
Kate Lysaught
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 16, 2020
HikingSnow

Teton Crest Trail covers some sections of this hike especially in the Alaska Basin and Cascade Canyon. Ended up doing about 35-40 miles on July 6-10, 2020. Although this trail doesn’t add the Paintbrush Divide Loop, please still be advised in case you add it to your itinerary. We chickened out at having to go down steep snow on the east side of the Paintbrush Divide, instead turned back, and hiked out via Cascade Canyon (I.e. the part of the train on this map). Note: Three days ago, July 15, two girls 19 years of age were airlifted from falling 500 feet down snow into rocks in that east side of Paintbrush Divide spot. Ice axes, crampons or spikes are highly advisable for all areas out there. We ran into 2-3 groups that crossed the divide, but they all looked like seasoned mountaineers- not weekend hikers. Being from Florida, my group turned back. Make sure you have a GPS, as 60-70% of the Trail was hidden under snow and river streams of snow melt. We had to stop every 200 ft to check our location. Marmots will chew all your gear, so either rope it up high off the ground in trees or sleep with it in your tent. A porcupine are all the straps from our hiking poles, and marmots ate a hole in our water filter hose while it was on the ground for 5 mins. We saw deer, a moose and a black bear! Pics and videos posted on Instagram at @katyacreative

Chris Melendez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 30, 2020
Hiking

Did this hike in September in two days, camped at from Jenny lake to sunset lake then back to Jenny lake. Saw a bunch of bear scat around Phelps lake and then coming back down off schoolhouse glacier but no bear sightings until the last mile where a mother grizzly and her two cubs appeared right in front of me on the Jenny lake trail back to the parking lot! Incredible experience, stood my ground and momma looked at me before shrugging me off and we went our separate was peacefully, will never forget that!!! I clocked the hike around 42 miles from my watch due to a few extra switchbacks. Be sure to have ways to purify water and bear protection when going through their habitats. Other than that very, incredible hike, gorgeous views, definitely worth it!!!

Eric Larson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 22, 2019
Hiking

As of July 22 there was still a decent amount of snow on the trail between Death Canyon Alaska Basin via Static Peak Divide, so I extended this loop by hiking down Death Canyon and up over the Death Canyon Crest through Meek Pass. I'm glad I did, because Death Canyon is one of the most beautiful parts of this hike. First day was Jenny Lake to Death Canyon (15 miles), second was Death Canyon to South Cascade (15 miles), and third day was out to Jenny Lake (8-10 miles depending on if you take the shuttle or not. Had to hole up for an hour to wait out a storm near Hurricane Pass. Coming over Hurricane Pass and seeing the Tetons right in your face has got to be one of the world's most beautiful sights. Saw endless marmots, two moose, a black bear and her cubs, a porcupine. This is an awesome loop.

Matthew Cook
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 1, 2019

Awesome scenic trail

View Matthew's Recording
Cat Feistner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 10, 2019

Very difficult and challenging due to elevation. Very worth it. Plenty of water along the trail, absolutey stunning views. It was cool to look down at the trail we were once hiking from all the viewpoints.

Dirk Konings
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 18, 2018
Hiking

Once we left Hidden Falls (Sunday afternoon) the amount of people on the trail dropped away significantly, and after 1 1/2 miles saw no one until the first campsite. We camped in the second. Hiked to Phelps Lake the second day. Unbelievably beautiful. The view from the Hurricane Pass looking ESE was one that will remain with me. I consider myself to be lucky to have been there in that moment. It started snowing at Sunset Lake. We were behind schedule, and had intermittent snowfall all the way to the Static Pass. Going down into Death Canyon was glorious in the afternoon sun after the cold, snow, and wind we had just been through. Camped at Phelps Lake. I was grateful for the flatness the majority of the way to the intersection with the Amphitheater Lake Trail the next day. Saw a black bear just off the trail first thing in the morning hiking back up to the main trail from our campsite.The hike up to Amphitheater and Sunset Lakes was a good workout. It was just below freezing when we got in about 4pm and there was snow on the ground. The water in my bottle was partially frozen the next morning. It was all down hill and flat back to Jenny Lake.

Simon Guérard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 10, 2018
Hiking

Cool hike! I did something similar in a single day but instead went all the way to granite canyon, and also did avalanche divide. It's a hard hike - probably in the 35ish miles, but well worth it! The trick is to not do the valley - instead I was able to hitchhike from granite to jenny lake fairly easily.

Ashley Struble
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 25, 2018
Backpacking

Completed this loop July 21st-23rd 2018. Two nights and about two and half days total hiking, with campsites at South Cascade Fork and Surprise Lake (slight detour). I logged about 40 miles total with the 6 mile total side trip to Surprise/Amphitheater Lakes, so the Alltrails mileage is a bit off. A few notes: Teton Crest Trail (North to South)- Plenty of amazing campsites along the South Cascade Fork. Two short snowfields left to cross or detour around. Amazing view of the three Tetons from the top of the pass. Crosses into Alaska Basin (National Forest territory), where there is also dispersed camping around Sunset Lake. Wish I would have known that going in but oh well. :) Alaska Basin Shelf Trail- This is where it got tricky. There were about 10 large snow fields to cross where there were no decent detour options. Over Buck Mountain Pass you think you're done but oh no, there's a massive steep snow field that wraps around the basin leading up to Static Divide. Spikes and an ice ax would have made my life a lot easier here. Crossed it and a few smaller ones to get up to Static Divide. If you have a spare 15-20 min, go ahead and bag Buck Mountain right off the divide. Gorgeous views, and steep switchbacks with some snowpack left going down. All other trails were smooth sailing. Overall, a stunning hike and awesome backpacking experience. Definitely coming back to hike the whole Teton Crest Trail next.

Jeremy Footer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 11, 2018

Did the loop in 2004, amazing backcountry experience

russell griffeth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 26, 2017
Running

Fantastic day! Highly recommend.

Dave Dotson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 15, 2017

Love this place!

Tom Sims
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 5, 2016

One of the most beautiful places I have ever been!!!

Riley Hoogendoorn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 27, 2016
Skiing

SO DOPE!

Stella Arellano
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 19, 2016

Beautiful place!

James Crumm
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 30, 2016

Went up Moran and Middle Teton...... Breathtaking

Clardy Schwarz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 17, 2016
Backpacking

Great trip beautiful, but didn't care for Alaska basin.

Lisa Stark
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 27, 2016

Amazing!

Michel Jones
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 15, 2016
Camping

A milestone in my families life

Mia Pelly
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 12, 2016

Amazing, something I will remember forever

Steve Oswald
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 31, 2014
Hiking

I've been to many National Parks, preserves, forests, monuments, and scenic areas, and Grant Teton National Park still may hold the highest place in my heart when it comes to nature. It has it all, from the wildlife, towering peaks, pristine mountain lakes, and well kept trails. I make it there almost annually anymore, and plan to do so until I've explored every inch of it.