Teton Crest Trail [CLOSED]

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(107)
Grand Teton National Park

Teton Crest Trail is a 25.7 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Teton Village, Wyoming that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November.

Distance: 25.7 miles Elevation Gain: 3,828 feet Route Type: Point to Point

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information. Lofty heights, great mountain views, wildflowers. This is an absolutely magnificent hike with several great conclusions. You can join it to the death canyon trail for a loop hike, through hike the 30 mile teton crest trail (my recommendation), or hike an out and back to marion lake. The hike starts from the top of rendezvous mt above 10,000 feet (unless you really want to make the climb from 4,000 feet yourself). It drops down to a valley and then climbsup the opposite ridgeline. If hiked in mid summer the wildflowers are absolutely fantastic. The trail is easy to follow the entire length but a map is nessicary as not all the trail junctions are well signed. After a brisk climb, aquamarine marion lake is a magnificent lunch spot or a camp for the night. Then another steep climb takes you to the ridge you will follow to the death canyon shelf. Magnificent views abound and there is no shortage of clear cold streams. this hike is a steep up and down that rarely drops below 8,000 feet so dont overestimate yourself

Trails are well marked and can be crowded in certain areas. For example cascade canyon down to Jenny lake or within a few miles of the gondola. However if you’re doing the whole trail, you’ll go stretches without seeing people. We only encountered a few horses, a few moose and one looked to be adolescent grizzly. The weather is very changeable, so be prepared. Wildflowers? Incredible…

IT IS A GREAT FIRST HIKE INTO HIGH ALPINE .

One of my favorite hikes of all time. Northside of paintbrush divide is a little sketchy, but even if you go north from the gondola make it to the paintbrush divide and hike back down to lake solitude and out, its simply breathtaking. We hiked it first week of August 2018. There were some biting flies on death canyon shelf but only there. Flowers were EVERYWHERE! Do not miss this hike!

What a wonderful experience. Amazing vistas and easy to follow. Keep your eye on the weather forecast!

Awesome!!! Hiked with my wife and she is not the most experienced hiker. She loved it!!

Just finished our hike. Started at the top of the mountain at Tram drop off, hiked to Death Canyon shelf for the first night. Hiked over Meek pass and Hurricane Pass the second day. Camped at bottom of South Fork Cascade Canyon on the second night. Third day, hiked up North Fork Cascade Canyon to Lake Solitude, over Paintbrush Divide and camped at Holly Lake for the 3rd night. 4th day hiked out to String Lake parking lot. Weather was incredible, sunny with highs in the 70’s, night time lows in the 40’s. When folks say this is the best backpacking trip in the lower 48, I’d say I believe it. We saw coyote, mule deer, moose, black bear, and mountain goat. It is challenging! Had to hike over some snow in Paintbrush Canyon, trekking poles were good enough to make it across. My wife and I had the time of our lives!

Just posted our Trip Videos of the TCT last month. Amazing hike, check em out. https://youtu.be/cyH4ODXSr88 https://youtu.be/kLaof_BHyaQ

This hike was beautiful with plenty of water and no bugs! Get permits ahead of time otherwise your itinerary will be limited to camping outside of the park. This caused some short days and a long day. We just finished today and the weather was a little windy up top but the rest was perfect.

Best view of Tetons. So much closer than Table Mountain

I did a version of this. Starting at Granite Canyon instead of taking the tram and ending down painted brush canyon. Granite Canyon is definitely worth the gains and Lake Solitude is worth a detour down Painted Brush. All in all, amazing trail.

Did the TCT a week ago, it was amazing. Here’s link to our trip video Trail Perspective on YouTube: https://youtu.be/kLaof_BHyaQ

Hiked in Mid August- started at the Phillips Canyon Trailhead, hiked to Phillips Pass to meet up with the beginning of the Teton Crest. Camped at Middle Fork then South Cascade. Took the Cascade Canyon trail to exit - about 35 miles total. Conditions were perfect- wildflowers up to my waist all over. Spectacular is the only word I can think of.

Amazing first backpacking trip! We started at Teton Village Aerial Tram and ended at Jenny Lake with the boat transfer. Stayed one night at Fox Creek Pass and one night at Sunset Lake, both gorgeous spots in the National Forest (couldn't get permits for inside the National Park). The entire trail seemed in excellent shape and easy to navigate, with absolutely breathtaking views and abundant meadows of wildflowers. We must have hit the peak of wildflower season (our trip was August 12-14). Weather was beautiful, clear days into the 70's with some wind and cold nights (low 30's). As a first time overnight backpacker, I was nervous about the distance and the weight of my pack (35lb on my 135lb frame), but other than some sore feet the last day, the trek was doable and entirely enjoyable. Already planning the return trip.

Just have to say I think I was the oldest person on the trail and the slowest. I’m 64. Just finished up 11 operations two years ago. . One foot operations, three knee operations. Full knee replacement, four stomach operations two shoulder operations. I was a wreck because of an accident. After refusing the drugs after two years, started walking, lost 65 pounds. Regained use of limbs the doctors said I would never be able to do and a friend inspired me because he just finished the Appalachian trail last November start it in April . The Teton Crest was one of the life changing events of my life. I would tell you about how wonderful the trail was and all of the wonderful sites I saw but that’s not something I have to explain. The beauty of my time on the Teton Crest were the wonderful people I met on the trail. Can’t tell you how many wonderful people I met along the trail. You can go to Facebook and search for “ danifer delaughter” I will friend you if you would like to see my hike. It was priceless. Merritt Dan DeLaughter

Lived up to expectations. We tried to get walk-up permits, the ranger told us the day before to show up 1 hour before they opened. Obviously, that morning when we showed up there were 20 people in front of us in line! We didn't get permits, so opted for the two-day version where you take the tram up and stay overnight in Alaska Basin near Sunset Lake (lots of campsites). Certainly doable, but made for an intense hike. Still, totally worth it. Pretty much non-stop five star views from start to finish. The pictures don't do this hike justice.

well worth every step. lots of water along the way. just plan your camping ahead. if you want to stay in the NP you need permits. but you can make it so you sleep out side the park and hike through it during the day

Completed the full TCT 7/24-27 with a group of 4, going up Granite Canyon and down Paintbrush. Rangers advised before beginning to have ice axe for Paintbrush (did not suggest crampons due to soft snow). On morning going up and over Paintbrush, conditions were rainy and very windy. Options were an off trail scramble on very steep rocks and loose scree or attempting to maneuver the large snow field at the top. Two of us chose to scramble down and had substantial difficulty due to the weather conditions and steepness. Myself and one other attempted to follow footprints traversing the snow field after watching multiple people both going up and down struggling significantly with the scramble option, with one of them losing multiple items from the pack during the descent. With the rainy conditions and cold evening the snow was much less soft than previous groups and friends had mentioned, making it nearly impossible to kick steps in. My friend slipped near the top and was unable to self arrest with her axe, sending her down the very steep ice field and slamming into the sharp rocks at the base at high speed. She was cut up and very badly bruised but very lucky to not be more badly injured. I chose to ice climb down the field facing the mountain and stepping straight down, which was a slow but safe way to proceed. I believe if the day was warmer we would have been successful in traversing the snow but following the steps in the upper section was impossible. The remainder of the ice fields were safely navigable with ice axe (we saw many that completed these uphill with poles without trouble). Please be aware that there is still substantial snow at the top of the pass and you either need to feel comfortable rock climbing with a heavy pack or feel very comfortable navigating the ice field with an axe. Conditions for you will likely be better than for our group but all of us are lucky to have gotten out relatively unscathed. Once more snow melts there will be no need for the rock climbing section or the large ice traverse, but until then please be incredibly cautious. All four of our group said if we were given the option again we would have descended Cascade Canyon instead. Other hikers the day prior to our attempt down seemed to have much less trouble going up Paintbrush and completing the trail north to south via scrambling up the rock section when it was dry. The rest of the TCT was absolutely stunning and filled with wildflowers, plenty of water in the streams, and great campsites. Bring bug spray. Have fun and be safe!

We completed this trail 7/15-7/18 starting at granite canyon and linking with TCT about 8 miles in. This trail was fantastic! There are beautiful meadows full of flowers, wonderful wildlife (marmots, ground squirrels, moose), and fantastic alpine lakes. The snow is, for all intents and purposes, melted. We didn’t use our ice axes or crampons at all, but poles were a must on the patches of remaining snow. With all the snow melt there are some small river crossings that we took our boots off to navigate. A little buggy in the canyons, bring bug spray. This is also very wild country so, obviously, bear spray and bins are a must. All in all, this is a must-do backpack!

Hiked the TCT this year from July 8, 2019 to July 13, 2019. This has been one of my favorite trails to backpack. You get it all: breathtaking vistas, ridge-line hiking, campsites with a view, alpine flowers, and a quiet trail! We hiked the TCT from South to North and took the tram up to Rendezvous Mountain to bypass some of the immediate trek up the mountain. We really liked the tram going up but finding the trail from the summit was challenging. You have to veer left and follow the service road to a sign that is just barely poking out of the snow. Coming down the summit proved another challenge finding the trail. Your best bet is to follow the foot paths through the snow to find the trail. From Rendezvous Mountain, the trail is still heavily packed with snow... some sections have several feet of snow left. We were able to walk on most of it but fell through some sections. Crampons are a must!!! You will notice though that the snow is melting fast as most mountain streams are bursting with fresh water. Hiking through Alaska Basin was another challenge as we were mostly navigating via other people’s footpaths in the snow and via the help of our gps.. the same with Hurricane Pass. Dropping through the canyon after Hurricane Pass was a highlight and the trail is a bit easier to navigate, as the snow has melted more in the lower elevation. The next few sections are a breeze and peak TCT hiking. Going up to Paintbrush Divide was a challenge, however. I do not recommend this section if you do not have crampons and an ice axe. There are huge sections of snowbank on steep slope. Coming down the divide is even more dangerous as the trail does not exist due to the amount of snow that is still present. Although still beautiful, it is not safe unless you have those two items and know how to use them. After the divide, the trial is mostly still covered in snow. But as you drop further down in elevation, closer to lower paintbrush, alpine vegetation is bursting with flowers and greenery. Great trail but still lots of snow!

What an unbelievable backpacking experience. Took the gondola to the top and would definitely recommend doing this. Don’t think I’ve ever done a trip that was more or less above tree line for so long, it was pretty easy walking due to such a high elevation start. Stunning scenery throughout.

Excellent trail with incredible views. Difficult terrain and trail was hard to follow due to snow that had fell in last 2 weeks.

One of the most beautiful experiences of my life. So many beautiful mountains, wildflower fields, and wildlife encounters.