For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

Table Mountain Trail is a 10.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Alta, Wyoming that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 10.7 mi Elevation gain 4,146 ft Route type Loop

Snow

Description
Waypoints (1)
Contact

Grand Teton National Park P.O. Drawer 170 Moose, WY 83012-0170 Information (307) 739-3300 More information: http://www.nps.gov/grte/contacts.htm

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (476)
Photos (537)
Recordings (267)
Completed (819)
brianna heon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 6, 2020
Great!

I took face trail up to the summit. It was a good leg workout. Overall, it took me about 3 hours to get up to the top. The view is immaculate. I never wanted to come down but it qas getting late. I took a different trail through the canyon back.

Jane McAllister
Hiking

This was a gorgeous hike. The wildflowers were in full bloom and every view was awesome. There were four of us over sixty, but by doing some vertical hiking beforehand, it was totally doable. We took our time and enjoyed the views and wildflowers. The approach through the rocks to the top of Table is unforgettable. WOW! Definitely one of my top hikes. The downside was toilet paper and feces right on the trail, as well as doggie poop bags that were left on the trail. I am so disappointed that people can’t be more conscientious and do the right thing so that everyone can enjoy the trail to it’s full potential.

Annie French
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 4, 2020
HikingRocky

Stunning hike with amazing views and wildflowers! My dad and I took 3.5 hours to go up face and 3 to come down huckleberry (North Teton trail). Poles were nice to have especially at the top or if you wanted to come down the face trail. Plenty of creek crossings on huckleberry, so no need to bring extra water if you have a dog. Total loop is closer to 11.5 miles, but totally worth it!

Daren Lentz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 4, 2020
Hiking

8/1/2020 I am 30 pounds overweight and out of shape. So we were a little slower than most people. This hike kicked my trash. It went from being a nice hike, enjoying the outdoors to a brutal exercise experience. We went up the huckleberry trail and back down the huckleberry trail. I didn’t think I could handle the steepness of the face trail. But the trade off is the extra distance. I’m not sure which is better. If I did it again, I would get in shape, and go up the face trail and down the huckleberry trail. My balance and knees would not be able to handle the steep downhill of the face trail. My gps was 7.1 miles one way. It took me 6 hours to get to the top, but I made it. I sat at the top for 30 minutes. My knees are bad and my balance is not the best. It took me 4 hours 50 minutes to get back to the trailhead. The view on top was amazing. I don’t know if I will ever do it again. But the first 3.5 miles of the huckleberry trail (before it gets to steep) were amazing. Beautiful beyond belief. I will definitely hike the bottom part again.

Brett Johnson
HikingGreat!

shit is most definitely lit

Mont Hays
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 3, 2020
View Mont's Recording
Isaac Price
HikingGreat!Rocky

Great hike with some insane views. I started at 8 and went up huckleberry (north Teton trail) and then went back down face trail. I ended at about 5ish. Brought 5 liters of water and used it all fantastic hike over all

Andrew Rivera
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 2, 2020
Hiking

A little warm up top and sunny but a great day hike. I did the loop clockwise brought me up the valley, multiple stream crossings, fill you water bottle before you hit the ridge line no water til the parking lot. Wild flowers blooming up top with a great view of the Tetons! Enjoy!

View Andrew's Recording
Isaac Price
Hiking

Hiked it Sunday August 2 and it was a blast. Went up huckleberry and down face (phone died halfway down) and it was super tiring. Brought 5 liters of water and used it all. Recommended starting early in the morning and maybe getting done round 4ish

View Isaac's Recording
Dagen Smith
Hiking

This is a SERIOUSLY awesome hike! I liken it to climbing the grand Teton without having to climb the grand Teton. That is how close you get to the grand Teton. I would not recommend this hike if you are not in shape. Also be sure and check the weather ahead of time. I know a guy who was struck by lightning at the very top. They started in clear sky’s so please keep that in mind. Remember to BRING BEAR SPRAY! This is Wyoming and there is a decent enough chance for a bear encounter. You might also want to consider bringing a water filter. My camel bak was dry half way through. There are two options for starting this hike. It is all down to preference. You can go up the face which is a massive gain in elevation or you could go up huckleberry which is less of a direct climb. You can take the face down but I would say just go back through huckleberry. There is not much to see on the face. It would only be good to get down faster if you are able bodied. The first time I did this was roughly 5 years ago. I was twelve at the time. It kicked my butt. I am now excited to try this hike again as a seventeen year old and see the difference that development will have made.

Tammy Mulkey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 2, 2020

it was a hard hike for me. I ended up not getting the last 0.75 mile at the top. my group was turning around and I knew I did not have what I needed to go the rest of the way. Took Huckleberry trail up which is 7 miles one way and when I got to the straight part after the switchbacks I was already spent! First time hiking to 10,000 feet elevation. maybe next year I will make it to the top. Regardless it was beautiful and I am glad I got as far as I did.

Grant Ward
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 1, 2020
Hiking

We did not know what we were in for! this was our first hike of the year, and being out of shape didn't help! that being said, we got a late start and still made it to where huckleberry and the face trails meet in about 3.5 hours. Unfortunately we didn't summit to the plateau because we needed to get back home, but it took us about 1.5 hours to go down the face thanks to some trail running. We will be back to get the full view of the top, but starting early is a must if you want to get out at a decent time! Very challenging elevation gain, very technical hiking on the way down. Bringing a trekking pole will save your knees! Unless you're in great shape, don't go up the face.

Shelley Sonderegger
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 31, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Literally the hardest hike I’ve ever done. I felt like a freaking grandma hiking up the last mile and a half to the top, and I’m in pretty good shape! Is the view worth it at the top? HELL YES

Brandon Gray
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 28, 2020
HikingBugsRockyScramble

This was a seriously awesome hike, and seriously tough. It took my wife and I (23-24 yr old fitness junkies) a little over 8 hours to do the full loop. Make sure to take your time and enjoy the views around you.

Clint Been
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 27, 2020

I reccomend being in decent shape before you attempt this. Me my dog and my buddy took the face trail up and down huckleberry. The whole hike presents spectacular views. My dog and I are recovering today, it's an ass kicker. I suggest going around the table top summit and hike the ridge out to the end It puts you right next to the Grand Teton.

Mitchel Shervin
Hiking

Awesome trail! Worth the hike up.

Mark Mead
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 26, 2020
HikingRocky

Incredible hike, a must if you are planning to hike the Jackson Hole/Teton Valley area. Unbelievable, heavenly views. It’s a strenuous hike and heading back down can be challenging with jelly legs. Tons of rocks along the way, 2 creek crossings via logs, and some scrambling at the very top. We moved faster than the average... Took us 6.5 hours (3.5 up, 3 down) not including our time at the top (we took the long way each time... didn’t use the Face trail). I can see how some people take 8+ hrs while the fittest can complete in less than 5. We started late (2:00pm) & were caught in a pop-up lightning storm w/hail, which is pretty typical in the afternoons this time of year. Got back just before sundown. I would suggest starting early in the day — and have some Advil ready when you’re done. It’s worth it.

Jacob Orona
Hiking

Wow, most beautiful hike I’ve ever been on. We went up face trail (029) first and back down the huckleberry trail. The face part was super steep at the beginning then pretty easy going till the end where table mountain is. That part was steep and difficult. But soooo worth it! Views were amazing. On the way back down we took our time enjoying the sites and sounds. If you’re thinking about doing this trail...do it!

Max Rosenthal
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 24, 2020
Hiking

Amazing views and very challenging. Going up face first is probably the best call. It’s very steep and challenging but the loop around is much more enjoyable going down. Table was totally worth it. Incredible views. Took us 2:20 to get up and we were gassed. Don’t hike much, but we are mid 20 year olds in good shape and we were still very tired at the top. Very cool to see some older people at the top!

View Max's Recording
Kristin Shaff
Hiking

Love this steep climb up via the Face Trail, the epic view from the top of Table Mountain, and the slow meander down via Huckleberry trail.

View Kristin's Recording
Joe Hansen
HikingGreat!

Beautiful hike. Went up the face and then down Huckleberry. 1:59 to get up the face with a steady quick pace and down huckleberry in another 2:15. It’s worth going down huckleberry as the trail is beautiful. Started at about 6:00 am to avoid he heat and crowds. This trail is far busier than it was 10 years ago but we all know why.

Nishant Gogna
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 23, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

We took face up and huckleberry down. We are intermediate hikers and this was Day 12 of a two week hiking trip at ~10 miles per day. It was tough. After the initial 2 mile ascent which was brutal, it relatively leveled out until we got to the foot of table. Then it got really tough. And at 10k feet altitude, it felt like every step was a marathon. We finally did summit and was rewarded with a view of GTNP that was unparalleled. Worth every step. And will do again. Just a note: minor scrambling is required at the top. And lots of loose rocks.

Waleed Al-Johar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 22, 2020
Hiking

Went up the face, definitely sapped out energy. Wish we went up the canyon, we'd prob had have more energy to summit. The hike is more like 9 hours and that's if you're booking it. If you really wanna enjoy the top plan more time. Around 11.5 mi total loop.

View Waleed's Recording
Emma Kerr
Hiking

This trail made me it’s bitch. The view in the end was more than worth it. “Top 5 most beautiful views of all time” - man in parking lot we saw on our way up

Tanner User
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 21, 2020

Went up face and down huckleberry there was no snow on face and almost none on huckleberry. A few small water crossings incredible hike, got home and I'm incredibly sore and tired. started hiking at 8 and got done around 3:45, so go early