Table Mountain Trail

Table Mountain Trail is a 10.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Alta, Wyoming that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.2 miles Elevation Gain: 4,140 feet Route Type: Loop

Table Mountain is a 12 mile out and back trail located near Alta, Wyoming. The trail is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen and primarily used for hiking.

2 minutes ago

Completed the hike on July 18th with my family. We took Face up & Huckleberry down. Face is a steep climb that my wife & I had to pace ourselves on. There is still a bit of snow near the summit but can be traversed easily. The views at the top are amazing. Thrilling to reach the summit. Our kids are 15, 12 and 10 but all fit / experienced hikers.

Excellent hike as always. Face up; Huckleberry down. Saw a grizzly bear on the way up, just above the Huckleberry Trail. Snow up top; it was easily avoidable to go around most of it on the way up. On the way down running across the snow allowed for quick travel. Very little mud, nothing unusual for any hike.

Beautiful hike. Went up later in the day, watched the sunset, hiked down in the dark.

We hiked to the summit successfully on July 17, 2019. We went up the face and down huckleberry. There is a little snow left at the top of the ridge but it is easily walked on or you can walk to the side of it too. It was still super cold and windy at the top, so you definitely need layers and warmth. It is always windy and cold on top, so if you are dressed well, you can take more time and enjoy the amazing view of the Tetons. Going down Huckleberry was absolutely beautiful. I’ve been up there before and never seen it so lush with so many wildflowers in bloom. There are a couple of river crossings and some snow melt draining but we didn’t have any issues making our way down the trail. The snow from a couple of weeks ago had melted. This is definitely a strenuous hike and you need to be prepared with plenty of food and water, and good hiking shoes. We had a couple of 12 year olds, 14-15 year olds, and two 47 year olds. We are in good shape and did great. We took breaks here and there so I t took us about 4 hours to the top and 3 hours or so to get down. We were not in a hurry. Would highly recommend it! The views and beauty are outstanding.

Great hike. 4 miles and 4100 ft ascent took me just under 2.5 hrs. (I'm in decent shape and was pushing hard.). The view at the top is of the "backside" (western side) of the Grand and its surrounding mountains. A view most hikers here never see! It's special.

Went up the face and down huckleberry. Still a bit of snow before the summit. Amazing views of the Tetons.

Absolutely loved it. We planned on going up the face and down huckleberry. Unfortunately we didn’t realize until we were coming down the face that we had done it backward! At the beginning of the face trail (from the parking lot) there is a sign that says it isn’t maintained/is very steep. Just as a heads up for those who haven’t been before and aren’t going with someone who has and might want to go up the face. I wouldn’t recommend going down the face, but taking it up cuts a couple miles off the round trip and is what this AllTrails route shows and counts miles for. I would recommend going in late July or early August as that is best for trail visibility and the least chance of snow. There is a few water crossings but nothing too crazy-we just wore our regular hiking boots-and the hike ends with an incredible view of the Tetons.

Great trail but still quite a bit of snow up top (July 5th) recommend going up huckleberry, the waterfalls are plentiful and gorgeous right now and the other route is waaaaay to steep. Great view at the top.

Hiked on July 5, 2019 This was my first time doing this hike and I absolutely loved it! I opted to take the Face trail up and Huckleberry down, which in hindsight seemed like the best way to approach it. There’s still a lot of snow near the summit that ranges from a few inches to a couple of feet, but enough people have trampled it down it’s not too difficult to navigate. That said, there’s still a good amount of snow on the last part of Huckleberry and I think it would make that trail much more difficult than taking Face up. Here’s my “trail assessment”: Face: It starts steep for about a mile and gains elevation quickly. Once the trees open up, it’s mostly a gradual elevation gain and snow starts intermittently just before the treeline. I also came across a lone female moose just off the trial, which was neat. Huckleberry: The trail itself is much more scenic! It’s in great condition until about 3.5ish miles from the trailhead and you reach an area that seems to have been damaged by an avalanche. At this point, the trial is still easily navigable, but you’re starting to walk in snowmelt runoff that eventually just turns to snow. At times, the trail is essentially the stream bed for the runoff, so you’re not sure if you’re actually on it. I had to use the GPS on my phone with the Maps.me app to find where I was a few times. You’ll be in nothing but snow before the switchbacks, so I can see it being much more difficult on the way up. One last note, you’ll have to cross the North Fork Teton Creek a couple of times on some makeshift log bridges. Trail Junction to Summit: The ascent to the top was probably the most difficult part (at least for me) in terms of steepness, which is only exacerbated by the snow. No crampons or snowshoes are necessary, but your boots/socks will definitely get soaked. All in all, it’s absolutely worth it!

I climbed up Huckleberry and down the Face trail, but did not summit Table Mountain. Huckleberry was gorgeous, but started to have snow at 3.5 miles in and the trail became harder and harder to find. I went up the switchbacks through snow and by then was too tired to try for the summit of Table Mountain. Luckily, the views from where the Huckleberry and Face trails meet is also gorgeous! Many other people did make it to the summit of Table on July 5th, but they all seemed to have ascended the Face trail. Face trail is very steep but only has a couple snow patches (they were easy.) Lots of snow at the top though.

This hike made for an incredible day! We did have to scramble in the snow for half of it. I think the ideal time of year to hike it is late July as there was still so much snow! The views at the top are unparalleled and absolutely worth the trek. We hiked face up and down. Lots of elevation gain. Would love to try huckleberry sometime. We even saw a bull moose! It sure made for a memorable day!

Hard this time of year. I turned around at the half-way point due to snow.

So worth the trek!

Great hike with stunning views. Highly recommended

Just did this oct 14. got within 100m from the top, waist deep snow and after hours of making fresh tracks we called it! Past the junction there was no way to find a trail. With it wind chill we think it was about zero degrees. If you're going to go later this season I suggest gaiters and snowshoes!

Absolutely a unique hike and well worth the effort to get to the top. Views are unparalleled.

It was around 5 miles up face trail, and 7 miles down huckleberry. We enjoyed seeing different views on each trail.

Coming from the east coast, this was one of the most spectacular views we have ever seen. Face up, Huckleberry down is the way to go. When you enter the parking lot, the first trailhead is for Huckleberry. Walk a few hundred feet towards South Teton trailhead to get to the trailhead for Face, right next to the outhouse. Bring extra layers for the top, it can get very windy.

I have been wanting to hike this for a few years now. It was well worth it. Great view of the Tetons.

Most incredible hike I’ve been on. It has everything. We went in July and there was still snow on part of the trail so missed some switch backs on a steep part but still made it. I got altitude sickness around 9-10k feet but didn’t figure that out until we got back down to 8k. Came across a family of moose and we elected to go back through the valley, same way we went up. We lost the trail a few times due to the snow. Take plenty of water and give yourself time to acclimate to the altitude if possible. I was useless toward the top. Great close up view of Grand Tetons on the table top. Beavers seemed to be following us... maybe some people feed them. Start early, take bear spray, food and water and a good app like this one.

Great view!!! It’s a difficult hike if you choose to do face up and down. Made it in 5.5 hours round trip but we hike a lot and are young. I recommend not going down face, it is painful and super steep, take huckleberry down!

It was an awesome trail and awesome views all the way along. Just be aware!!!!! There are two trails. If you take huckleberry trail both ways it’s 14 miles. Long hike!!! I would recommend face trail up and huckleberry down. Either way it is a long hike but I would not do huckleberry both ways. Safe travels.......