Table Mountain Trail

Table Mountain Trail is a 10.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Alta, Wyoming that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Table Mountain is a 12 mile out and back trail located near Alta, Wyoming. The trail is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen and primarily used for hiking.

Fantastic views from the top and definitely worth the hike. We took the face trail up and it was intense. Lots of elevation gain quickly and lots of loose gravel that can slow you down. But, beautiful wildflowers and views the whole way. The last thousand or so feet there is a rocky trail that will require a little bit of scrambling but it’s not terribly difficult. Slow and steady wins here. We took the face trail back down again as we had a late start and it is about two miles shorter than huckleberry trail. There’s a nice creek just near the parking lot with icy cold water that you can dip into and cool off. We are pretty experienced hikers and it took us about 6 hours round trip.

Up the face trail (029) and down Huckleberry (024) today with BSA Troop 218. Trail in good shape. Thanks Forest Service for the avalanche clean-up. A lot of good water down Huckleberry for filtering. Still a few tricky water crossings with make-shift bridges made from avalanche debris.
Flowers and plants highest I've seen with this wet Spring. Didn't see any large game, but Table Rock view great as always.

Did this one yesterday.. took face trial to go up and returned through huckleberry trial. Huckleberry trial is still slippery with mud and ice in the last two miles but doable. Just be cautious , take more energy drinks. I am just a causal hiker so it took me lot of time about 5 hours to complete face, its very challenging and damn tough.

Hiked up the Face and down Huckleberry. Trails were terrific. Huckleberry trail was well maintained and the forest service did a great job clearing debris from avalanches this winter.

Took the Face Trail today. Great hike!

My 18 year old brother and I summited Table Mountain for Independence Day. Both decently experienced hikers, we decided to travel up The Face and back down through Huckleberry. There were 3-4 snow patches on the way up, each had firm footing but I recommend poles for walking sticks. Huckleberry has large Glacier remains from this years avalanches in a few locations. It was a bit disconcerting to hike across a glacier with a 200 yard drop to the rocky bottom, but we made it across just fine. Also, there are two large creek crossings. One lady we talked to actually had a near drowning incident falling in the glacier melt... I would not recommend traversing Huckleberry until the snow melts, unless you are experienced and up for a challenge. The face is in good condition, but has a tough beginning incline.

My girlfriend and I did this trail today and loved it. We chose to go up and down the face trail after reviews were not in favor of huckleberry. The beginning 2 miles are very steep and intimidating but after the 2000ft climb the terrain was easily managed. There were a few short snow crossings around mile 4 which we used our crampons for a but but we’re not needed. It shouldn’t be too long before it’s snow free. The views were spectacular as described and we encountered no wild life, with exception of marmots. We quickly made our way back down as an afternoon storm rolled in. We ended up going back down the face which should not be taken lightly. After the light rain, rocks were slippery and the decline is unrelenting. Use caution but very doable. We reached our car just shy of 5 hours but we do tend to move quick. I highly recommend this trail.

We did the huckleberry trail yesterday and were quite surprised to find how Tun over the trail was with debris from this last years avalanche season, there we made it through but we had a lot of times where we were hunting and climbing over Galen trees just to find the trail, and the last ridge you climb to the top the trail was covered in snow and almost impossible to find the trail, i would recommend taking the face trail until some of that gets cleared.

I attempted my second summit of Table mountain, but decided to turn around. We started up the Huckleberry trail & found a large stretch of dense down trees from avalanche damage. We knew storms were expected for the afternoon & decided it was best to turn around given how long it was taking to navigate through the down trees.

This map shows a trail down the south side to Hurricane Pass. Has anyone ever hiked that TRAIL? Or is it a matter of finding your way down the ridge? I would like to make a loop of the Face the over to Hurricane Pass down towards Alaska Basin - up the The Wall - and back out.

Has anyone done this that can weigh in?

Great hike that offers amazing views of the Tetons and overlooks the alaska basin. Hiked 6-16-2018 and still had a fair amount of snow at the 9000' line, even got treated with a bit of a snowstorm before the sun gave way at the top. Normally nice to go up face trail and down huckleberry but it looked a bit snowy and hard to navigate down in the bowl leading up from the huckleberry trail.

I’ve hiked this trail for the past 30 years. One of my favorites.

hiked this after more than a month at sea level. the elevation about kicked my butt, but it was so rewarding to get to the top. definitely worth it. :) bring your own water and some snacks. it's a long trail!

Took us a few tries but we made it! The trail disappeared with the snow so it was tricky. If there is a lot of snow, I recommend going with someone who is experienced with the trail.

To be honest, I had a mild case of elevation sickness on the last meters but I was a beginner at that time. This trail is stunningly beautiful and highly recommended! Huge pay-off moment, totally worth it!

Tough switchbacks and some steep loose Rocky sections make for a tough climb but the breath taking view at the end makes it all worth it

a pretty tough hike but well worth it can't wait to go back

worth every step

Definitely a very hard hike, but when at the top the view is well worth it.

This is a trail that everyone should do at least once. Keep in mind, though, that weekend use in the summer is quite heavy, and parking may be difficult if you do not arrive early.

My preferred route is to take the face trail up and down, which gets you up into the views a little faster. The view from the top is exhilarating, in that there's nothing but empty space between you and the Tetons.

Since afternoon thunderstorms are not uncommon in the area, check the weather before you leave, and plan to start early.

Loved it! Beautiful hike.

We went up AND down the face. You're going straight up like 1/2 the way, then you mellow out in beautiful wild flower meadows, and then it goes straight up again for the home stretch. You start the hike in the trees so it's a bit miserable at first, once you hit the meadows it's awesome and you can actually see table mountain. So it's nice walking towards something you can see versus wondering when you're gonna get there. We went down the face bc the meadows were just that beautiful that I didn't care about the difficulty. But my knees feeeeeelt it. Definitely toughest hike I've ever done, but the most beautiful and rewarding too!

Excellent back view of The Tetons. The first segment goes up a U shaped valley very gradually, once you get up on the ridge the altitude kick in and the struggle is real. This is a step by step hike to the summit at about the 10,000' foot mark but the views of the bowls/Tetons on the other side are amazing. There are sheer drop offs into the bowls at the top and the winds make you squat low at times. Definitely a high consideration if you are in the area and like a solid day hike!!

A long hike with some steep sections, but well worth it! I went up and down the Huckleberry trail instead of the face, camped on the ridge, then summited for the eclipse earlier this week. It felt a bit arduous with backpacks, so I'd like to try it as a day hike. Amazing views of the Tetons up top!

Steep trail but amazing flowers and views. Best spot to camp is on the other side of table mountain on the grassy hill.

Spectacular hike, steep and rugged. Hiked up the face and back down the huckleberry trail. The views of the back of the Grand Teton were beautiful and very different then the normal pictures from the east side. However, this is not for the faint of heart. Definitely for the fit and those who regularly hike steep areas.

Amazing, beautiful hike the whole time. It's a bit rocky, steep and definitely a work out especially if you hike up with a backpack full of overnight gear. I hiked up to the top to watch the solar eclipse and it was a surreal experience. 10/10 would do it again even without the magical eclipse.

Climbed the Table on July 21st with 2 friends. It was a great experience. Took The Face up and Huckleberry back down. God blessed us with awesome weather! No bear sightings, which was good, however when you come to the first crossing of the creek (way down), and really, both crossings, definitely look for something to cross on. Don't do what we did which was just wade across barefoot. Why? That water was so cold I thought I was going to die! Literally it was the worst pain on my feet I ever felt. But other than that, it was awesome. Just like any other hike, bring lots of water and snacks, wear moleskin if you need it, and you'd be wise to have trekking poles.

This was a life changing event ! I have hiked all my life, but this was better than any before. We hiked Table Mountain with our 12 year old daughter on 8/3/17. A wide variety of different terrains, vistas, and plants. Snow in August was very fun ! A challenging hike, but the awesomest one of my life. One of a kind, and so worth it ! Pack lots of water, sunblock, and snacks. You will need it. Back in NC by now, but I would love to do an encore tomorrow. Ready to go !

Taking the face is challenging but faster than huckleberry trail. Beautiful wildflowers once you clear the trees and reach the meadows. Views are tremendous! MUST EXPERIENCE! If you take the face up, don't take the face down unless you hate your knees and feet.