Surprise and Amphitheater Lakes Trail

Surprise and Amphitheater Lakes Trail is a 9.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Moose, Wyoming that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September.

Wyoming Business Council Tourism Office, Frank Norris Jr. Travel Center, I-25 & College Drive , Cheyenne, WY, 82002-0660, Phone: 307-777-7777, Fax: 307-777-6472

Strenuous hike with a well-earned reward of two lakes and beautiful scenery at the top. We had a real surprise at Surprise Lake when a mama black bear and her two cubs joined us at the lake for their afternoon drink!

Gnar

This hike was worth the challenge of getting to the top to see surprise and amphitheater lake. We started this hike out planning to go off trail to view Delta Lake, but it was snowing and making it up the boulder fields was almost impossible and too dangerous. We decided to hike up almost 3 more miles to surprise and amphitheater lake and we are glad we did. Before we went on this hike we read that black bears were known to be spotted very close to the trail. We encountered one adult black bear and then one cub an hour later who came right up to my dad. Make sure to bring some bear spray!

22 Sep it was getting snowy to the point where I turned back because I wasn't properly equipped. Looks like there was more snow last night so snowy for the 23rd. Lots of berries on the slopes so watch out for bears and make sure to carry spray and bells.

It was my first time in Grand Teton NP and this was definitely the highlight. A hard hike with the elevation and switchbacks but absolutely worth it. Great views on the way up and the lakes were spectacular. Plenty of snow in mid-July at the top and the lake was still half covered in ice. The scenery surrounding Amphitheater was awe inspiring. An afternoon storm rolled in on the way down and we got hit with rain, hail and some lightning but still had fun.

Hard hike but very pretty!

Four of us hit the trail at 8:30 am and made our way up the initial ascent quickly. Just after the fork for Valley Trail, we encountered a young black bear in the middle of the trail, but he ran off when we got closer as a group. My wife and I hiked ahead and managed to take a wrong turn towards Garnet Canyon (looks beautiful), which added ~1.5 miles to our trip, but we made it back and caught up with the others before reaching Surprise/Amphitheater Lakes. We were thankful to have started early since it was HOT, hazy (smoke coming in from the north), and packed later in the day. We spent an hour up top and took our time -- got back to the car close to 3 pm.