Sky Pilot Loop is a 35 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pinedale, Wyoming that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 35.0 miles Elevation Gain: 7,211 feet Route Type: Loop

Awesome trip. Don’t miss Titcomb basin. And note: western part of loop from about Long Lake to Heart lake turnoff is NOT maintained. Route finding is needed. Tree blowdown from beetle infestation is bad. Also there is a shortcut from Island Lake to Fremont Crossing. Also suggest going counter clockwise so big descent/ascent on western side just before Elkhart park is done with a lighter pack.

closed

Went on this loop late August 2019. There are two steep bits out of Elkhart park. The immediate part out of Elkhart park is steep and miserable but mostly free of blow downs and actually resembles a trail. It is however not at all accurately mapped compared to the .gpx file here. The steep bit after that is literally abandoned by the park service. There are tons of blow downs. Parts of the trail are eroded/washed out. It is actually treacherous for anyone wearing a pack. Other than those steep up/down sections the hike was beautiful. Nice trails. Plenty of water. Awesome vistas. But as currently configured I can't advise anyone take this route.

We turned the 37 mile Sky Pilot Loop into a 50 miler by adding a side hike up into Titcomb basin. I took my 18 and 10 year old daughters and we’ll never ever forget this awesome place and the memories we created. My only caution is that day 1 is a bit of a bugger. When you start out you drop in elevation to fantastic Long Lake. I seriously could have just stopped here for days. And you’ll wish you had as you climb up several thousand feet to Trapper Lake. Basically gaining back everything you just went down. While it was a bit tough, we took it slow, and enjoyed the conversation time. Having completed the loop, I’d actually prefer doing it this way than what most do — which is to go to Titcomb basin from the back of our loop. It’s a long steady climb! We paid up front instead of pay over time when it comes to elevation climb. This made days 2-4 generally down hill for us! We absolutely loved it! Caught tons of fish, saw incredible scenery, it’s an epic trip. If I could do it again, I would have added an extra day so we wouldn’t have to leave from lakes we really loved. Maybe stay an extra day at Trapper Lake or Island Lake. Ohh! Island lake is to die for! If you go the way we came,you can camp opposite the waterfall that flows into the lake. Straight out of Lord if the Rings!

I remember doing this loop when I was a kid like 15 or so. I had a blast. Lots of water and great views. Planning on doing this again.

Mon Aug 14 1989

This is an amazing loop passing many beautiful lakes with great view of the mountains along the continental divide. Take your time and spent 5 days. Be sure to stop at the Big Drop slide near the Freemont river crossing