Red Beds Trail

Red Beds Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Devils Tower, Wyoming that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and birding and is best used from April until October.

A great hike for families with children

In late March it was still quite muddy with patches of snow, but 75% clear. Beautiful views in all directions, not least of all the ever-changing facade of “Bear’s Tipi”. The Belle Fourche river is gorgeous as it cuts through the Spearfish deposits of red sandstone.

Beautiful trail even in January! However, on a brief note about the park -- since it does not explicitly state on the NPS / Devil's Tower website, allow me to answer any questions regarding cycling in the park.

Mountain Bikes on dirt trails = no.
Mountain Bikes on paved trail = no.
Mountain Bikes on the main road = yes.
^^the main road is paved, very narrow to be sharing with cars, plenty of traffic

The combination of Red Beds and Joyner trails are highly recommended for a nice loop trail. Gorgeous views of Devil's Tower from different perspectives, beautiful walks in grass prairies, and plenty of shade among the pine trees. The smell of pine trees makes this trail very pleasant. Easy to moderate.

Most of the loop I found pretty boring. Some great views in the first 8th to quarter if you go counter clockwise. The red beds themselves were just ok.

Best loop in the park you see it all

We did this trail in the evening and loved it! So beautiful with the sun going down.

Great hike that you get a little workout from. Took about 45 min with stops for tripod pics.

Nice views of the tower and really pretty red rocks.

We did this trail with the valley trail and together they were so fun! Don't miss prairie dogs on the other trail.

Fantastic views of the tower and surrounding wilderness.

Love the Red

Sunday, October 23, 2016

My wife has arthritis in knees and back, but she did better than I did on inclines. Bring a hiking stick for balance. Saw a large family group of deer that let my wife walk up to them for pictures; got within about five feet. Nice, friendly neighborhood. Off season not crowded.

Saturday, October 08, 2016

very nice and well used trail for beginners. lots of great scenery. spotted deer, chipmunks, birds, and squirrels.

Friday, September 23, 2016

A great hike. We did this trail on a Sunday. Once away from the crowds in the main parking area we saw only four people, awesome! There are a few ups and downs, but nothing too strenuous, even for a flatlander.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

I am from Illinois and this trail was hard for me on the incline. The landscape around Devils Towers was just awesome. Loved the part through the red rocks. 7/3/2016

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Good trail and not too busy in the morning. Heavy vehicle traffic was entering the area as we left around 10. Great views of valley and tower.

Monday, June 27, 2016

Very nice hike. A more traditional hike compared to the shorter loop which is paved. I also added a section from the Valley View loop to extend it to 3.5 miles. Hike features varied terrains, from pine forest, to the red beds, to the flat prairie of the prairie dogs.

Sunday, May 01, 2016

Very easy walking, such beautiful scenery

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Very fun trail, the drive out to Devils Tower is beautiful. I'd definitely do it again.

Monday, February 01, 2016

A little icy but absolutely beautiful!!!!

Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Absolutely gorgeous! One of my favorites! Short but sweet! Go early to avoid people; between 5-6 am I didn't see a soul.

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Out RV was unable to park at the top of visitors site so we parked below at trailer camping and hiked up. Start trail by prairie and walk thru all the prairie dogs popping up out of their holes. Initial ascent is moderate but the views are totally worth it. Views of the valley below and devils tower will not disappoint. In fact the only disappointment was coming to the visitors center and encountering all the people. Absolute best way to see Devils tower.

Friday, May 02, 2014

This was our first experience with any trails in the area. It's been awhile since I've had a good hike, and this one was alot of fun. We spotted so much wildlife, flowers and other great scenery. It says 2.8 miles as the distance, but I swear I walked at least 35 miles today...or least my legs feel that way.

Monday, November 18, 2013

Great hike. On the east side of the trail there was quite a bit of mud as it rained a day prior plus I was there pretty early so the ground hasn't had time to dry out much. There was a few parts that is was a little tough to climb up but luckily I am in decent shape. It took me about 2.5 hours but that included several times that I stopped, enjoyed the view and took some pics. I didn't see another soul on the trail the whole time so that was great to have that area all to myself. Great time of year to go if you can catch the weather just right. Seen a bit of birds, chipmunks, squirrels and several white tailed deer. All & all, great hike and great views.

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Good trail not crowded and not to long or hard with some good veiws

Friday, July 26, 2013

This trail is for people who want to view the Tower without the crowds of tourist. Lovely trail, more wildlife then on top, lots of wild flowers with beautiful views of the Valley below the Tower.