Porcupine Falls Trail

Porcupine Falls Trail is a 0.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lovell, Wyoming that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 0.8 miles Elevation Gain: 360 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The Porcupine Falls trail begins at the parking lot and descends 440ft down to the falls below. Although this trail does have 90+ stairs built into it, the remainder of the trail is very steep and requires caution during descending and ascending. The views at the bottom, however, are worth it.

1 hour ago

Short hike. Beautiful secluded waterfall. Very cold so no swimming. Hike down and there's small cave to hike up to explore.The hike up is hard carring kids.

As others have stated... DO NOT FOLLOW GPS... follow the road signs. Great hike. Short, but fairly high output on the way back up. Amazing views!! Water is great for a quick dip... but it will be VERY quick as very cold. Haha.

be sure to bring your truck to get to the trail head, road is very rocky. we parked and walked half mile to the trail head. beautiful views and the trail itself isn't too much up and down. we took two puppies, two 12 year olds and a 14 year old. we all loved it!

The trail has seen some improvements since I last hiked it back in the mid 1970's. The waterfalls are just as beautiful as the first time I saw them!

I was looking for a short hike to do with my family that was also very beautiful. Instead I got a very hard- overgrown trail. Going down is easy, it’s going up that is super hard. I do 5+ mile hikes everyday, and i’m telling you this trail was straight up on the way back. I kept a steady pace the whole time, but this trail was very steep going up. I wouldn’t recommend this trail for families, or for elderly people. This is .8 miles of straight down and straight up. The trail was also very crowded, so when we did reach the waterfall it was not worth it too us. The only reason this is getting any stars was because the water fall was truly beautiful- just wish the trail was a mile longer so it wasn’t so steep.

We loved this hike! I would not, however, consider it easy. It is more of a moderate trail to me. The hike in isn’t bad, but we had to stop multiple times on the way out. It is quite an elevation change. The trail is maintained well and the waterfall is absolutely stunning. We took our 7 month old and had no issues. There is no shade at the bottom so wear sunscreen!

This is a strenuous, short hike. But worth it for the waterfall view. Drive to the trailhead was a bit confusing- follow the signage, not the coordinates and directions that google maps gives via the AllTrails map. We got lost. And, the road to the parking is not great if you’re in a smaller vehicle. Had our 2 year old with us. She could do the stairs, but had to be carried the rest of the way which made this hike even harder.

View was absolutely beautiful but this is no easy hike. The way there is easy breezy and makes the view pretty much worth it but the stairs on the way back are quite intense. My yorkie got up and down no problem lol but my boyfriend who is in great shape struggled and I wished for a rescue team when the steps appeared to never end. Overall it was beautiful and I’m grateful to see it. Road to the trailhead gets difficult for smaller cars.

Amazing hike to a beautiful waterfall! It’s pretty much straight down and then straight back up but totally worth it! Take some trekking poles. Plan on taking lots of breaks on the way back up to catch your breath.

Awesome trail and still lots of water coming down falls. Road into parking lot for the falls off FS11 was rough and for lower clearance vehicles make travel difficult. There is another parking spot near turn off.

Short hike, but there are lots of stairs so it can be strenuous. You hike downhill to get to the waterfalls and uphill all the way back. Gorgeous waterfalls!!

Trail is dry and with the heavy snow pack this past winter, the falls are super with all the water coming down.

Absolutely beautiful!!!

Favorite Big Horn Mountains hike. One of my happy places. The hike out is short but pretty strenuous. Don’t attempt with a hangover.

Drove the Jeep directly to the trail head. Hiked out yesterday with my husband, son and dog. Trail was well maintained but a bit slick with fresh snow cover but we made it down and back up without any issues. Definitely need good shoes/boots if there is any moisture on the ground. What a BEAUTIFUL falls! Was definetly worth it!!

Trail is short and steep, but well maintained with built-in "steps" and no rock scrambling or off-the-beaten-path "climbing" required. Falls and pool at bottom are gorgeous and provide a chilly, refreshing swim! Several deep ruts in side road to trailhead required us to park on main road and walk 100 yards to trailhead.

Monday, August 27, 2018

Short, steep hike but definitely worth it!.

Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Absolutely stunning. Pretty rough coming back up it with a toddler and 2 puppies though.

Thursday, July 05, 2018

It was a great, simple hike. Easy getting down, a little strenuous coming back up to the parking lot. Water is ice cold!

Friday, August 11, 2017

My favorite place in the Big Horn Mountains

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

It's a little steep but my four year old loved it and walked the whole way

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Great trail and improved since I was last there.

Saturday, August 05, 2017

My 2&1/2 year olds first hike and he loved it!

Monday, July 31, 2017

A great lil' hike!!!

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Beautiful hike. short and steep. took our dogs here and they loved it.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Short, steep out and back. Take your time and a swim suit. The view is spectacular. There is a short spur which runs from the lot to an outcropping/overlook where you can look down into the canyon and the water pool but be careful. Head on down to Bucking Mule Falls (3-miles down the gravel forestry road) and keep an eye out for moose !

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Short hike which is good because the climb out is tough. A lot of maintenance done putting in stairs which help but it's still a climb. Definitely worth it!