Learn more

Porcupine Falls Trail is a 0.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lovell, Wyoming that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 0.8 mi Elevation gain 360 ft Route type Out & Back
Dogs on leash Kid friendly Hiking Nature trips Walking River Views Waterfall Wildlife
Description
Waypoints (0)
Contact
Getting There

The Porcupine Falls trail begins at the parking lot and descends 440ft down to the falls below. Although this trail does have 90+ stairs built into it, the remainder of the trail is very steep and requires caution during descending and ascending. The views at the bottom, however, are worth it.

Wyoming Business Council Tourism Office, Frank Norris Jr. Travel Center, I-25 & College Drive , Cheyenne, WY, 82002-0660, Phone: 307-777-7777, Fax: 307-777-6472

Directions from US Hwy. 14A: From US Hwy. 14A take Sheep Mountain Road north 3.5 miles to its intersection with Devils Canyon Road. Go west on Devils Canyon Road 2.5 miles to the Porcupine Falls Trailhead and parking area.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (97)
Photos (84)
Recordings (51)
Completed (175)
Allie Geier
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 11, 2020
HikingGreat!

I would definitely rate this hike as at least Medium intensity. You have to go down at a severe decline, which means you have to go all the way back up. BUT, the view was WORTH IT. It was crazy beautiful. One of the best waterfalls I've been to.

Sean Hanson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 10, 2020
HikingGreat!

Very steep as advertised. the hike down was easy and when the falls appear you forget about the hike. The hike back up is pretty exhausting but there are plenty of rocks to sit on for small breaks.

Sarah Shugart
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 5, 2020
Nature trips

I went to Porcupine Falls as a teenager while at church camp, I loved it! the water was ice cold but so much fun and was an easy hike, although I don't remember there being stairs 19 years ago! Now my husband and I are planning hikes for next summer with our kids (6 & 4) I can't wait to show them this amazing place from my youth!

Sharon McGuire
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 3, 2020
HikingGreat!

This is an amazing hike and the falls at the end are definitely worth the hike. Very steep, slippery and it’s hard on the knees. Only a couple of other people on the trail, but we were alone at the falls.

Donavon Grimes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 8, 2020

Short hike, steep. Beautiful falls

View Donavon's Recording
Megan Johnsen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 5, 2020
HikingGreat!Scramble

We hiked this trail with three kids and a dog. The trailhead is a few miles down a bumpy forest road with lovely views of high-mountain ranch activities, complete with horses, cows and sheep. The trail is well marked and easy to follow. The gravelly surface can be slippery. The trail is steep, as advertised, and a little hard on knees and low-landers’ lungs. The kids loved scrambling around the rocky walls at the base. We climbed about 40 feet into the mineshaft beside the waterfall, which added just the right touch of adventure to a beautiful hike. Even the dog was able to make the climb! Stunning views of the valley and the best waterfall in the neighborhood.

Douglas Wheeler
Hiking

Absolutely the coldest water that has ever touched my body! Simply a great way to end the day, especially after hiking bucking mule falls. Very busy, but that could be because of Labor Day weekend.

Jeff Ward
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 1, 2020
Hiking

Steep, but short and had no trouble maintaining footing with a baby strapped to my chest. We had the falls all to ourselves, aside from a curious pika!

View Jeff's Recording
Shelby Goza
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 28, 2020
Hiking

I read all the previous reviews. It’s not that steep. The stairs make it much easier and safer. The bottom is insanely beautiful. One thing that is right is photos do no justice. The cave is pretty cool and a pretty easy climb to. Me and my husband took our 5 year old on this hike and he loved it to. The water in incredibly cold but it’s so gorgeous! 5 star hike. Just stunning.

View Shelby 's Recording
Daniel Oates
Hiking

Amazing at the bottom and worth the hike out, but beware, this is not an "easy" hike in my mind. Short yes, but very steep, the hike out kicked my rear.

Peter Lefebvre
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 23, 2020
View Peter's Recording
Emily Bybee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 19, 2020
Hiking

Amazing falls! like others said, pictures don’t do it justice and yes the steep climb out is worth it!! Do it!!

Elise Eberhardt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 16, 2020

The only thing “easy” about this trail is that it’s 0.8 miles long. Steep hike down to the falls and pretty difficult coming back up the 90 stairs, but the views are definitely worth it at the end! We all enjoyed our time there.

Ronald Golembiewski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 5, 2020
Nature tripsGreat!

This is a very steep trail but totally worth it! Once you get to the bottom you will not regret the walk back up. I was able to take a swim in the VERY cold water and loved every minute of it.

John Winter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 3, 2020

steep steep

Jason Preble
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 27, 2020
Hiking

Truly awesome falls!!! The route is short and STEEP, but well worth taking your time to be safe going down. Bring a towel and join the many that take the plunge into the beautiful pool filled by the falls. Top 5 backcountry falls I’ve ever been to.

jess maxwell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 24, 2020
Hiking

This is one of the most impressive falls I've seen. Pictures don't do it justice at all. The water is cold. There was a big group of teens jumping in the water but it was too cold for me. The climb back up the trail is steep and had me sucking wind, but it was worth it.

Gregory Gorsuch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 13, 2020
View Gregory's Recording
Maggie Romanovich
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 4, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful trail if not quite steep. The directions on all trails is not quite accurate. We had trouble finding the trailhead. Follow a map. Road to the trailhead is tricky. Early potholes are hard to navigate. Trail itself is gorgeous. It’s a tough one to come up for an “easy” trail. But the views are well worth it!!

Bailey Jari
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 25, 2020
HikingRocky

Hard hike but worth it! Getting to the waterfall is easy but coming back up is the hard part. The trail back up is straight up. I had to stop a couple of times to rest a little.

Tonya Hostetler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 10, 2019

Epic trail

Darren Stewart
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 19, 2019
Hiking

As others have stated... DO NOT FOLLOW GPS... follow the road signs. Great hike. Short, but fairly high output on the way back up. Amazing views!! Water is great for a quick dip... but it will be VERY quick as very cold. Haha.

View Darren's Recording
Alan Pinkerton
HikingBlowdown

As an Alabama Boy I got to go to Wyoming this past year ,,, 58,,, over weight,, and went down the trail by myself. To me very steep,, beautiful,,, some say short distance,, if I counted correct 157 railroad tire steps. Yet they were the blessing... Going down was much easier,,,, comin g back up im glad I brought a book and water,,,, Awsome,

Laura Campbell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 17, 2019
Hiking

be sure to bring your truck to get to the trail head, road is very rocky. we parked and walked half mile to the trail head. beautiful views and the trail itself isn't too much up and down. we took two puppies, two 12 year olds and a 14 year old. we all loved it!

View Laura's Recording
Dale Estes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 10, 2019
Hiking

The trail has seen some improvements since I last hiked it back in the mid 1970's. The waterfalls are just as beautiful as the first time I saw them!

Maggie Nolen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 4, 2019
HikingOff trailOver grownRockyScramble

I was looking for a short hike to do with my family that was also very beautiful. Instead I got a very hard- overgrown trail. Going down is easy, it’s going up that is super hard. I do 5+ mile hikes everyday, and i’m telling you this trail was straight up on the way back. I kept a steady pace the whole time, but this trail was very steep going up. I wouldn’t recommend this trail for families, or for elderly people. This is .8 miles of straight down and straight up. The trail was also very crowded, so when we did reach the waterfall it was not worth it too us. The only reason this is getting any stars was because the water fall was truly beautiful- just wish the trail was a mile longer so it wasn’t so steep.

View Maggie's Recording