Photographers Point via Pole Creek Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(47)
Bridger Wilderness

Photographers Point via Pole Creek Trail is a 9.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pinedale, Wyoming that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as moderate and is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding.

Length9.2 miElevation gain1,135 ftRoute typeOut & back
Photos (102)
Activities (24)
Completed (222)
Audrey Reinisch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 11, 2021
HikingSnow

So, I didn’t actually make it to the trail. It looked like it would have been beautiful! But, I’m posting this review as a warning to others. If you see snow on the road, do not continue driving up the road. Even if you see other tire tracks. I was about 100 yards from the trail head (actively looking to turn around because of the amount of snow) when my Jeep Wrangler (that has snow tires) got stuck. Like really stuck. Stuck to the point I had to call the sheriffs office to get a ride back to town, get a hotel and get a tow the next morning. Fingers crossed the tow truck does the trick! The sheriffs office, best western and Pinedale as a whole are SUPER nice, accommodating and the Wind River pub has great beer and burgers. I’m looking forward to coming back in the summer, the views driving up of Fremont lake are alone worth it! But if I see snow, I’m not going to continue driving. Even if I have sand, shovels and snow tires.

Anne Sweney
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarNovember 23, 2020
View Anne's activity
Larry Fox
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 10, 2020
HikingGreat!

Cleared as of 10/10/20. Amazing job by the crew who cleared it, took nine days and the trail is immaculate but off trail looks like a gigantic explosion. Beautiful woodsy hike with a great payoff.

Kelly Turner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 1, 2020
View Kelly's activity
Lizzy C
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 17, 2020
Hiking

The first mile and a half was clear as of 9/15 thanks to some awesome lady lumberjacks. The rest of the trail, well, doesn’t really exist. LOTS of downed trees, prepare to constantly climb over and around - follow the orange ties, if you can. That being said, it was a fun and challenging adventure.

Megan Benedict
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 15, 2020
Hiking

Such a beautiful day hike!

Sean Cabaniss
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 14, 2020
HikingBlowdown

Lots of downed trees made it close to impossible to do the hike. We turned around after about a mile of climbing over/around trees

Shannon Noll
Hiking

I did this trail on 9/8 right after the big storm that hit out of nowhere. There were HUNDREDS of massive trees strewn all over the path. In order to get around them you would have to climb over a jungle of trees or go very far out of the way and still sometimes climb over trees. The view at the end is awesome though. If the path was clear, it would be a pretty easy hike, but the trees made the path very very difficult.

Scott Brewer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 6, 2020
Hiking

Really good vigorous day hike. About 9 and half miles out and back. Definitely something I’ve had to work up to, worth the hike. Beautiful views, well worn trail but pretty rocky in many parts and lots of horse droppings. Watch your step!

View Scott's activity
Jennifer Paré
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 24, 2020
Hiking

Lots of horse leftovers on the trail...

View Jennifer's activity
Samantha D
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 6, 2020
Backpacking

Crowded and popular, but so worth the views! Stopped in for lunch on our way into the Winds backpacking.

Josh Mason
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 30, 2020
HikingBugsRocky

This trail is worth doing for the great view at the end, but there are lots of mosquitoes and they will find you as soon as you stop. The trail is also covered in horse poop due to the trail being frequented by horse riders, but it is what it is. The trail feels longer than it is due to the lack of views the entire way up, but you do pass through some nice meadows.

Jonathan VanderVeen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 29, 2020
HikingBugsRocky

The entire trail is extremely rocky and goes through dense woods with little viewing opportunity. It was also highly traveled by other hikers and horseback riders. The final view was great but you can pretty much see the same view from the highway when you drive in. I thought it was way too long of a hike for one great view. Much better options available with more diverse views and elevation changes.

Paul Wegman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 17, 2020
Hiking

This is a really beautiful hike with a very nice trail. I ran/walked to the top and made it there in about 1-1.5 hours. I decided to do the loop to miller lake on the way down. The first part was really beautiful through a meadow. After that the trail was pretty narrow and rocky (not great for running). The lakes were pretty... if I did it again I’d return back on the ordinal trail. Bugs were fine if you stay moving. I can’t imagine backpacking it because of the bugs (really bad by the lake) but curious to hear from backpackers on that bc I’d love to come back. If you do the Miller loop on the way back, make sure to stay right at the end of the lake to get back to Pole Creek trail. Hiking Project says if you go on the trail to the left it’s a bit of a short cut.... terrible idea. I went down it for 3 miles and the it ended. I also startled a few moose who probably aren’t used to hikers on that trail. Turned a 10.5 mile hike into a 16 mile hike! If you follow the signs you’ll be fine. I learned my lesson!

Whitney Gerber
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 8, 2020
BugsMuddy

Very good hike! Photographers Point was absolutely beautiful! Make sure to bring bug spray. The trail could get very muddy in spots as well!

Caroline Bywater
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 7, 2020
HikingBugsMuddy

Done as a day hike July 6, 2020, 11:20am-5pm with breaks, photo stops, & an extra mile. Beautiful trail through multiple meadows & passing half a dozen small ponds. In the afternoon there was not much shade, but there are spots along the forest to sit in the shade if you need a break. Today was dry but it was easy to see the trail gets very muddy. Heavily travelled by horses judging by the manure & prints in the mud from horse shoes. Unique and incredible views from Photographer’s Point. Plenty of beautiful lunch spots along the way, or plenty of room at the top. As everyone says, don’t forget that deet - mosquitoes were relentless throughout the entire hike, even in the wind & sun. Leeches were also seen in the lake closest to Photographers Point - check the dogs if they go swimming!

D Lehm
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 6, 2020
HikingBugs

Everything you could be looking for in a day hike. Please heed Mike's advice below. Bring strong bug spray. Trust me, I saw first hand how much they were bothering him before I lent him my DEET.

Mike Sosin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 5, 2020
HikingBugsMuddy

This is an iconic hike, spectacular views, flower filled meadows, dense forest, water but OMG BUGS! The mosquitos are the worst I have ever experienced. We did not stop for more than 2 minutes and since we stretched the trip out to a further lake it was 13 miles without even stopping for lunch. They are that bad! Regardless it is worth the trip. Just wear long sleeves bug head net and use some DEET.

Kirby Callaway
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 29, 2020
Hiking

The trail head markings weren’t clear (our mistake) so we ended up going left instead of right at the parking lot trailhead. It was a bit confusing, but when we hit the 201 trail marker about 4 miles in, we realized we were off and so we turned north. We ended up meeting the trail at Sweeney lake and then circled back around. We missed the official “photographers point” so it definitely wasn’t the vista we were looking for, but it was still a stunning hike.

Natalie Becker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 14, 2020
HikingMuddySnow

I would not go in early June. There are a lot of snow drifts. It was also very muddy. If you do it in July you will be fine.

Melissa Franklin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 1, 2020
HikingIcyMuddySnow

I’ve hiked here multiple times. I would always rate this a 5 star hike - it’s so amazing! I have no idea how anyone made it here in the last few weeks. There was so much snow! There were 2 other groups there today and everyone had to eventually turn around about 1.5 miles in. I am 5’11” and I was stepping in snow all the way up to my hip. So maybe we will try in a few more weeks, but I wouldn’t recommend it right now.

J Doss
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 10, 2020
Backpacking

Nice trail with only gradual incline. Great lunch/snack spot! View is amazing.