Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Phelps Lake Trail

Phelps Lake Trail is a 7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Jackson, Wyoming that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September.

Directions from Moose: Go left at the Moose Wilson Road and travel southwest on road to Death Canyon Trailhead.

Very beautiful lake on top. Saw small bear early in AM when we got to the lake. Early AM the wildlife is very abundant.

Great Winter Hike!!
We started ~1mile below the trailhead due to the seasonal closure. We took the trail over to the historic camp, then we went up to the lake overlook and turned it from there. Gorgeous views and very easy terrain. Since it was winter, we left the trail a number of times to explore the area.
If you're a backcountry skier, this is an amazing spot. Climb would only take a couple hours and the lines are spectacular.

paddle sports

I love to hike in with my inflatable paddle board. It's a beautiful hike in and the lake is great for paddle boarding

Great hike with breathtaking views. Saw lots of chipmunks but no bears! Had bear spray just in case. My husband and I really enjoyed this hike.

This loop was awesome not to difficult at all. weather was perfect mid to high 50s. blue skies.

Awesome scenery

Very beautiful around the lake!

Great early fall day. This trail is beautiful and very accessible as well. We did the full seven mile loop around the lake without straining. The 700 foot elevation change is mostly in the first mile or so. The rest was just a great walk in the woods. Saw what we believe was a mink, a ptarmigan and even a bear. Fantastic trail!

Beautiful hike! BRING BEAR SPRAY! We were growled at as we switchbacked down the lake. You can read more about it here: https://practicalvagabonds.com/caution-bears-in-the-area/

Easy warm up trail with a preview from the rangers in the Rockefeller Center. Reminds you of the great legacy the family left for the public to enjoy

The beauty is amazing and I did see a big black bear about 50 yards away.

I’m not sure why they would call this moderate difficulty as it has no vertical movement at all.

The views are a must. Highly recommended.

The view at the lake when you first arrive is spectacular, perhaps the best in the park. Hike around the lake is easy. Total trip from parking lot is 7.5 miles. Moderate for distance, easy otherwise.

This get five stars mostly for Jump Rock, which was a blast (though the nearby area up the hillside that is used for changing is gross - people crapped up there!). We saw a snake and some mule deer along the path. The views are stupendous. Mostly level and shaded trail.

Amazing trail! Not too many people. Jumping rock adds so much excitement

Easy but scenic- good one if you don’t have much time.

My first solo hike! Only wildlife I saw was a few chipmunks. Finished the loop in 2.5 hours, so I would rate this trail as easy, not moderate.

We hiked this trail August 16th. We enjoyed it but we would rate it as Easy. We had to add side trails up Death Canyon to get our heart rate up.

Nice little trail. wildflowers are out. The jumping rock is super fun! The water was extremely clear.

Lots of nice trails to the lake. Went swimming when we arrived and it was amazing. Love the jumping rock!

Hiking is beautiful and moderate. Heard and saw lots of kids wading in the lake Water is pure and clear.

Cool place! Went yesterday. Awesome trails! The jumping rock is great.

Amazing property.

We hiked this trail from the Rockefeller Preserve, counter clockwise this morning starting around 7:45 am. Our group of 10 loved the hike and it was well worth it getting there early as we were one of the few groups on the trail. We saw a small to middle sized black bear near the Huckleberry area and it knew we were there and we were thrilled to see it eat berries. Once it passed by us, we moved on and our kids then enjoyed jumping off of the Phelps Lake cliff and all 6 of them jumped in to the water off the cliff. This is a definite must hike for the area and it is definitely more easy than moderate for occasional hikers. Rock Chalk baby!

Discovered this trail on our mid September trip last year and it is now my favorite trail! Beautiful views along the trail and I could’ve spent hours at the lake. We even saw a moose in the creek on the way back! Park at Rockefeller.

A three hour hike around a beautiful lake
An easy ramble for the entire family of hikers.
Outstanding views. Wonderful Moose sighting.
The beach walk does not link back to the main path.

Beautiful hike on the trail today including an up close encounter with a moose! Hiked counter clockwise from the Rockefeller Preserve. Highly recommend this direction. Exceptional views! 8:45am start 12:00pm finish with stops along the way. Abundant wildlife, fortunately No bear sightings, but plenty of droppings along the way.

Awesome trail! Recommend going early. We hit trail around 7am and managed the just over 7.35 mi hike in just under 4 hours. Recommend huckleberry point on the trail. No bears seen, but dropping’s for sure several points on the trail. Little to no traffic on trail before 10am. As we came back to parking lot, it was packed.
For the real adventurous ones, there is a rock about 30 feet over the water that was fun to jump off into! We took advice and went counter clockwise, rock to jump was about 4.5 miles in. Parked at the preservation center. Everything was beautiful and perfect!

Fun trail. My family and I hiked Phelps Lake and went up to the overlook. Took around 4. 5 hours. I would rate the hike around the lake as easy, and the hike up to the overlook as moderate.

Awesome hike. Huckleberries were one of the main highlights.