New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Periodic Spring Trail

Periodic Spring Trail is a 1.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Auburn, Wyoming that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.5 miles Elevation Gain: 209 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Afton: Go east from Hwy. 89 on 2nd Avenue and continue on County Road #138 to the Forest boundary. Continue east on Swift Creek Road #10211 to road end. Park in the east parking lot. The trail leads up the north side of the creek out of the east end of the parking lot.

super cool. kinda populated tho

I went up there with my daughter, my boyfriend, his son, and our puppy, we had such a great time. The drive up there was so beautiful. The hike was easy until you get to the last little bit, if you want to get right up next to where the spring turns off and on. But it was so cool watching it turn off and start again. The only part that sucked were the bugs. But all in all we had a great time.

recorded Periodic Spring Trail

Super easy and the view is great. Did this right after swift creek trail hike.

Lovely easy child/elderly friendly. Smooth gravel trail along the spring. Beautiful views.

Great trail, especially for kids. It’s very mild along the way until the very last section. At that point it’s a little dicey and might be too steep for some. You can usually get to the point where the water comes out of the mountain but this year the water is so high it’s taken over the last 20-30 yards. It’s a beautiful hike and it’s really a must do if you’re in Afton.

Great hike for kids. Really flat until the base of the spring/falls. My boys liked climbing the sides and dipping their toes in the creek.

Don't know what lake the description was referring to? Easy hike for all ages though and beautiful regardless along a swift river. not crowded!

Wed Sep 12 2018

Easy hike to the base of springs. To see the head of the springs, it can get a little steep and the trail can be a bit precarious in a couple spots. Well worth the effort; such a unique spot!

Tue Jul 24 2018

Fantastic trail!

Sun Jul 08 2018

Nice wide trail! Water was flowing freely. Lots of butterflies!

Thu Jul 05 2018

What a great little hike. I have passed by this Canyon so many times, but never took the time to explore. I was visiting to actually hike the Afton Star and decided to follow the signs when I was done. Trail is in great shape and the spring was totally fascinating. A must if in Afton

Fri Jun 08 2018

Amazing view and an easy walk, until you get up to the spring. It is quite the climb after that. Beautiful either way, but the last part of the trek is definitely optional!

Mon May 28 2018

Loved this hike super fun ! Great beginners hike or kids hike my children (2&5) loved it !!

Sun Apr 22 2018

The trail is an easy walk and it is beautiful. About halfway it connects to the swift creek trail. The end is steep up to the actual spring and is usually covered by a decently sized glacier but is an easy climb.

Wed Aug 09 2017

3/4 mile hike! The trail was just redone by the Boy Scouts and it looks great! Great hike for kids and super beautiful. To get to the mouth of the spring is a little steeper and may not be so easy for small kids. But well groomed and not too steep.

Fri Jul 28 2017

Mainly a walk that has a short little climb at the very end to get to the spring. The geyser itself isn't active until roughly lay august, and is at a constant flow right now. The hike is still gorgeous and the river that you follow up is a beautiful blue color.

Fri Jul 14 2017

took the family on the trail. gets a little steep at the end but not bad. the extra run off currently has made it not intermittent with fast moving water. made me a little nervous with little ones. still a little patch of snow but the trail goes around it.

Sat Jun 03 2017

Super easy trail, took three small children ages 7, 5, and 3 on it. We have done it twice now its easy for kids even, the first time the stream was calm, however second time the weather had warmed up so lots of melt water and the stream was much deeper and faster. So be careful with children. We love this trail. both times we have not been to the very top the last tiny portion of the trail due to a large chunk of snow ( you can see it in the picture) i think overall its an amazing trail, so beautiful.

Sat Oct 08 2016

very easy for the kids and beautiful

Sat Sep 17 2016

Great and BEAUTIFUL hike! We went around 9am which was perfect. Low traffic and stunning views with the sun rising. Our 4 year old walked this hike easily and climbed to the top of the falls with a bit of help. When you reach the falls, go around the bend (looks rocky and overgrown) to get to a bridge in order to cross the river.

Sun Aug 28 2016

Absolutely beautiful hike! the whole way, you are following a beautiful, clear spring. it is relaxing and gorgeous. I wanted to take 2 million pictures! I did this with my 6yo, and, while the hike to the spring was easy, I think that the portion to the top is not really meant for kids. We did climb, and the view was AWESOME, but I was quite worried about the kid in our way down. Definitely an adventure. I would visit again, but might not do the climb.

Fri Jul 22 2016

Beautiful valley with a nice little climb. Was there too early in the year to see the spring act intermittent, buy climbed up to the to anyway.

Sun May 31 2015

We went in May and so missed out on getting to see it intermit, but it was well worth it regardless. For such a short and easy hike it offers great views up the towering rocky canyon walls, and of the gurgling creek, wilderness scenery, and fields of snow still piled in crevices. The drive up is also very beautiful in and of itself.

Tue Apr 28 2015

A short but beautiful hike loaded with wildflowers during our visit. The only "bad" thing was that with the snow melt going on the springs was not periodic at all...we waited and waited and waited and waited for the flow to stop but it never did...still worth the trip as it was gorgeous.

Mon Jul 07 2014

Gorgeous and easy. The spring is only periodic in late summer and fall. A beautiful hike anytime of year. The 5 mike road to the trail head is in need of repair. 7/2014