Paintbrush Canyon & String Lake Loop Trail to Lake Solitude

Paintbrush Canyon & String Lake Loop Trail to Lake Solitude is a 20.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Moose, Wyoming that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September.

Distance: 20.4 miles Elevation Gain: 5,721 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

The trail is in excellent shape. After the picnic area and parking lot, the trail is no longer wheelchair accessible, but it is still wide and in terrific shape and offers more sandy beaches and outstanding views. You will cross over the stream that feeds the lake via a footbridge. From there you enter a mature forest. Be sure to watch for wildlife. Follow the trail signs until you cross another footbridge and you are back at the trailhead.

Did the full loop. 21.7 miles. Got Extreme near the top. Bit of a rough scramble.

Completed this trial August 10 as an out and back hike from Paintbrush Canyon trailhead to Holly Lake, then beyond to Paintbrush Divide, totalling just under 18 miles. Trail is in excellent condition and the views down Paintbrush Canyon were equally as impressive as on the ascent. 5 snow fields which my husband and I crossed without complication using trail shoes and trekking poles. Unbelievable views at the top on the Divide. Go to "Nolan Ventures" channel on YouTube for a detailed video of this hike.

Good trail. Saw some bears and moose. Lake Solitude is great. I took a small alternate route to see Hidden Falls, which I recommend.

Beautiful hike. There was intermittent snow on the trail beginning at Lake Holly and covered the divide. Ice ax was a must to get up and over. Once on top, the views were stunning, you get great views of the western side of Grand Teton and Solitude Lake. I did the loop through Cascade Canyon in two days and was worth the trip.

this canyon hike is an excellent hike if you love variety. Meadows, lakes, woods, rock fields, multiple cascading creeks and waterfalls. it is definitely a moderate hike and the trail is well-maintained. about a mile from Holly Lake, the snow is still covering the trail at up to two feet deep. you will need gps to continue to find the trail on the way to Holly Lake. the views of the lakes from the canyons is amazing! very few mosquitos too! this is a must hike in the Tetons!

just completed today. camped in north cascade. did the loop clockwise and highly reccomend it. I think it would be pretty hard the other way if you are backpacking. perfect hike!

Monday, September 10, 2018

If you are going to pass the pass, you should really come down through cascade canyon to make it a loop! Still, a gorgeous day hike

Monday, September 10, 2018

This is a gorgeous hike! But I'd HIGHLY recommend you going down through the other canyon (cascade canyon). I don't think it will add distance, it might even reduce it, and reduce the total elevation gain. AND you get to do a loop instead of seeing things twice. Still, paintbrush is great!

Sunday, September 02, 2018

Thursday, August 30, 2018

Absolutely spectacular views the entire hike. Went at the end of August and already had a few inches of snow at Holly Lake. Highly recommend making the effort.

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Hiked up to the backcountry campsites in lower Paintbrush Canyon for an overnight, and it was one of my favorite camping trips to date. The views the whole way are gorgeous, I mean, you are in Grand Teton National Park after all. For anyone camping in the area, there are many campsites along the way, but the last, highest campsite in lower Paintbrush by far has the best views looking out over the valley, and up into the mountains behind. Plenty of extremely friendly wildlife, (they're cute but please don't feed them!) a doe surprised us by walking right up to me and my little sister and all around our tents for a couple hours. There's a family of hoary marmots that are very entertaining to watch. Overall, a great backpacking trip, I can't speak for the rest of the trail that goes up to the snowy pass, but I'm sure it's got even better views and great times to be had.

Friday, August 17, 2018

Awesome hike. We stayed below Holly Lake. It is tough but well worth the work.

Saturday, July 28, 2018

Stunning wildflowers and water features! It takes a while to get to the really fun part, but it’s so worth it.

Wednesday, July 04, 2018

We were there in late June and we were not able to do the full hike because of the snow. But it was gorgeous. Mountain peaks, clear mountain streams, wildlife (moose, marmots, deer). If you can snag the upper campsite of the lower Paintbrush trail, it was spectacular.

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Great hike! My party crossed the pass on 7/26/17. Most of the path on the way to 10,700 was snow covered. highly suggest to cross in the morning when there is no rain. Check out the weather daily. Enjoy!

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Can someone who has done this hike in June 2017 let us know the snow conditions on the route? Do I need more than crampons? I have only done this wonderful hike in August and want to be prepared as I hope to do it on July 3. Thanks --Jim

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Great scenery and hike

Monday, October 17, 2016

Favorite hike of my life so far! Absolutely beautiful. We started at String Lake TH, went through lower and upper Paintbrush Canyon to Holly Lake. After that it's about 2-2.5 miles to the divide. Sketchy at the end of July with snow patches but we knew it was doable without an ice axe. Check the trail condition! Stunning views the whole way. Hard hike to Holly Lake. We camped in lower paintbrush, which is definitely underrated! Saw a moose there.

Friday, August 26, 2016

We took paintbrush canyon all the way to the paintbrush divide. We camped in lower paintbrush camping zone because the upper was full- which I'm glad happened because the view from our campsite (the last one in the lower camping zone where it says 2 sites and it's the higher up one on the rock faces you have to hike up a bit to get to) was gorgeous with views of Leigh and Jackson lake. It took us a while to get to the divide and once you do, the trail gets a little sketchy with all loose rock and a little bit of on all fours climbing and just one snow field. (No need for ice axes in August) but it is well worth it once you get to the top because of the views of the cathedral group (The Grand, Mt. Owen and Mt. Teewinot) it is a difficult hike with a 4,000 vertical ft climb, so not for beginners. But it is WELL worth the struggle.

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Hiked this on my 45th birthday last year...the first part of the trail was very scenic, 2nd part not so much, as it looked to be damaged by fire, kind of barren. Hiked through a lot of snow/mud, but it was still early season for area. Great workout, great experience, great hike.

Monday, September 14, 2015

What do you think?

Friday, August 14, 2015

I utilized this trail as a connector to Inspiration Point and Hidden falls; Mainly to avoid the large crowds for as much as possible near Jenny Lake. Also, I had heard trail was marked as "most likely to see a bear." It worked great! I loved this trail, mainly for the wildlife! We saw three black bears while on the trails and lots of little creatures (Falcons, Marmots, etc). The views were great as well!

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

I did Paintbrush Canyon to Holy lake. Great hike!

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long day. We did the paintbrush canyon to cascade canyon loop. Really enjoyed holly lake. The climb to the divide was tough. Lots of snow. But the worst part was the decent from the divide to lake solitude. 2 miles of feet pounding scree.

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Went on this one with the kids. After seeing dozens of signs warning of us a brown colored Black Bear in the area who liked to munch on people's picnics, we saw him ambling across the road right in front of us. The hiker to our front could have reached out and touched him - I've never seen someone freeze stiff so quickly, but the bear was quite unconcerned. Beautiful lake on a not too crowded hike, would definitely recommend it.

Monday, April 20, 2015

This is an easy walk through some of the most beautiful country in the world! On a calm morning Mt Moran reflecting off String Lake is better than any picture you will ever see. In the late summer you can eat wild strawberries the whole of the hike. It is an easy trail, but amazing as any trail I've seen.

Monday, September 03, 2012

This was an outstanding trail. The views were incredible, not to mention the opportunity to see various wildlife (including bears and moose). We took the trail in the opposite direction as is typical - we started at the String Lake picnic area and headed toward Jenny Lake and Inspiration Point. This took us up Cascade Canyon and up toward Lake Solitude. We took our time, not knowing how hard the trek up to the divide really was. We ended up getting to camp in Upper Paintbrush near 8:00 PM with just enough time to pitch camp and start cooking before darkness fell. All in all this was an awesome trail with some breathtaking views.

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Easy walking path. Beautiful views, minimal elevation change. Worth the time!

Saturday, June 09, 2012

Nice walk along a mountain lake with the Tetons as your shadow. Great hike for kids, older adults, and a start that leads into more difficult trails.