Paintbrush Canyon & String Lake Loop Trail to Lake Solitude

Paintbrush Canyon & String Lake Loop Trail to Lake Solitude is a 21 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Moose, Wyoming that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September.

beach

The trail is in excellent shape. After the picnic area and parking lot, the trail is no longer wheelchair accessible, but it is still wide and in terrific shape and offers more sandy beaches and outstanding views. You will cross over the stream that feeds the lake via a footbridge. From there you enter a mature forest. Be sure to watch for wildlife. Follow the trail signs until you cross another footbridge and you are back at the trailhead.

Great hike! My party crossed the pass on 7/26/17. Most of the path on the way to 10,700 was snow covered. highly suggest to cross in the morning when there is no rain. Check out the weather daily.
Enjoy!

Can someone who has done this hike in June 2017 let us know the snow conditions on the route? Do I need more than crampons? I have only done this wonderful hike in August and want to be prepared as I hope to do it on July 3. Thanks --Jim

Great scenery and hike

Favorite hike of my life so far! Absolutely beautiful. We started at String Lake TH, went through lower and upper Paintbrush Canyon to Holly Lake. After that it's about 2-2.5 miles to the divide. Sketchy at the end of July with snow patches but we knew it was doable without an ice axe. Check the trail condition! Stunning views the whole way. Hard hike to Holly Lake. We camped in lower paintbrush, which is definitely underrated! Saw a moose there.

We took paintbrush canyon all the way to the paintbrush divide. We camped in lower paintbrush camping zone because the upper was full- which I'm glad happened because the view from our campsite (the last one in the lower camping zone where it says 2 sites and it's the higher up one on the rock faces you have to hike up a bit to get to) was gorgeous with views of Leigh and Jackson lake. It took us a while to get to the divide and once you do, the trail gets a little sketchy with all loose rock and a little bit of on all fours climbing and just one snow field. (No need for ice axes in August) but it is well worth it once you get to the top because of the views of the cathedral group (The Grand, Mt. Owen and Mt. Teewinot) it is a difficult hike with a 4,000 vertical ft climb, so not for beginners. But it is WELL worth the struggle.

Sunday, May 08, 2016

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Hiked this on my 45th birthday last year...the first part of the trail was very scenic, 2nd part not so much, as it looked to be damaged by fire, kind of barren. Hiked through a lot of snow/mud, but it was still early season for area. Great workout, great experience, great hike.

Saturday, November 07, 2015

Friday, August 14, 2015

I utilized this trail as a connector to Inspiration Point and Hidden falls; Mainly to avoid the large crowds for as much as possible near Jenny Lake. Also, I had heard trail was marked as "most likely to see a bear." It worked great! I loved this trail, mainly for the wildlife! We saw three black bears while on the trails and lots of little creatures (Falcons, Marmots, etc). The views were great as well!

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

I did Paintbrush Canyon to Holy lake. Great hike!

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long day. We did the paintbrush canyon to cascade canyon loop. Really enjoyed holly lake. The climb to the divide was tough. Lots of snow. But the worst part was the decent from the divide to lake solitude. 2 miles of feet pounding scree.

Saturday, May 30, 2015