Osprey Falls Trail

Osprey Falls Trail is a 7.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Directions from Mammoth: Travel 4.7 miles south. Immediately past the Golden Gate Bridge park on the left in the Glen Creek Trailhead parking lot. Begin on the Old Bunsen Peak Road Trail.

A hidden gem in Yellowstone! This was a trail recommended by a friend and it was spectacular! The first 2.5 or 3 miles follow a flat, abandoned road through trees and meadows. We saw elk and a coyote, among many other critters. The last 1.5 miles consists of a steep grade, a little flat walk and then a very steep climb down the canyon to see the best waterfall I have ever seen. A must see!

Excellent. No people once you pass Brunson peak. A bit tricky on the way down to the falls so watch your footing. Highly recommend.

Hard hike but well worth it at the end! Wear good hiking boots with ankle support for the switchbacks at the end. Most of the trail is gravel road. Beautiful views and wildlife is abundant. Even found some elk sheds!

challenging but well worth it. Description can be misleading. Starts easy enough. The end at the falls is simple going downhill but a beast back up. Overall I'd do it again and again.

We took this hike from the Bunsen Peak TH (but took the road, not the trail) and with pretty minimal sidetracking, we did about 10 miles round trip. As previously mentioned, the 1.4 miles to the falls is the worst part.

The snow was gone from the trail and despite a full parking lot, we only saw two groups of people the entire day. Despite the insane number of visitors to Yellowstone NP, you really don't have to get far off the road to enjoy a "backcountry" experience in one day.

Highly recommend this hike! We would have preferred to do the Bunsen peak hike to Osprey but had weather concerns.

This was a fairly difficult hike but well worth it - the falls were beautiful and we ate our lunch right next to them. The trail back up the series of switchbacks was difficult but I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

This falls is well worth the struggle to get there. The difficult is getting down to the falls and back up from them. The falls are huge. We did this after our half marathon. I would hike this again

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Fairly easy until the last 1.4 mile down a series of switchbacks to the bottom of the falls. I hate heights and this part of the trail is narrow and steep. The hike back up the same 1.4 miles is even more difficult since the switchbacks rise at steep inclines at times (but, I'm also 60 years old).

Having said all of that, I loved the hike; the beauty of the falls; and the fact that I did stretch my comfort zone.

Great hike!

Thursday, December 24, 2015

We hiked on the Old Bunsen Peak Road Trail. We walked through a rather large herd of elk. They were so close you could have touched them as you walked by. They stopped grazing only to look up as we walk by them. It was an amazing hike! Further down the trail we found a large bison skeleton. The rib cage was so large, I stood inside the ribs (mind you I am only 5' 3".

Views of the Gardiner River are beautiful!
We saw a mount goat just as we descended down the trail to the falls.

That part of the trail is brutal going down and coming back up.

A thunder storm rolled in and we were pelted with slushly snow pellets. But we did not mind! It was an amazing hike and I have no regrets!

Tuesday, September 08, 2015

We didn't hike directly to Osprey Falls, we went via Bunsen Peak than descended down towards Osprey Falls meeting up with that trail just before the "Warning" sign. The hike in and out of the canyon to Osprey Falls is brutal on the legs, especially after hiking up to Bunsen Peak, but is doable and well worth the pain and effort.

If I was to do this hike again I would still do it via Bunsen Peak even though it is very strenuous. Walking through a forest that must have been burned at extremely high heat because it is still barren almost 25 years after the fire. The views on this hike are amazing, and we saw only 5 hikers from the trailhead up and over Bunsen Peak. There were 2 hikers at Osprey Falls and a we did see a few on the way out. There are two Yellowstone experiences, one is around the lodges/big attractions, and the other is back country. If you want to get away from the crowds get on the trails!

Friday, July 05, 2013

This hike is amazing! Definitely one of the best kept secrets of Yellowstone.

According to the signage, the trail is 9.2 miles. We went the whole distance on foot. The first 3 miles is pretty flat- you're on an abandoned gravel/dirt road and we were able to run it. The 1.5 mile descent to the waterfall is steep and tough, but absolutely worth it! We had a picnic in the adjacent cave and it truly was an unforgettable experience.

The hike back up was exhausting. Bring a lot of water! The last 3 miles back were mentally challenging and we wished we had biked. By 1 pm, it was about 90 degrees (date 7/3/13).

Note: Do not forget bear spray! Two weeks prior to our hike, a female and two cubs were spotted on the trail. In general, you'll see a lot of wildlife, so allay bring a camera!

Monday, September 24, 2012