North Gap Lake Trail

North Gap Lake Trail is a 6.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Centennial, Wyoming that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Centennial: Travel 12 miles northwest on State Highway 130 to Sugarloaf Recreation Area.

Love this hike so much did it again! Despite the rating of hard, I would call this more of a moderate hike as the elevation gain is spread out over the distance, and my Fitbit measured more like 600 ft elevation gain. The boulder field along the lake scares a few people, but just take your time and watch where you place your foot. The views, snow and wildflowers on this hike are amazing.

A beautiful hike. We took our grandsons to Reservoir Lake on a fishing overnighter and they had a blast. Boulder field at North Gap was a little tricky for me...60... with full backpack, other than that, it was great. Great memories!

Took the trail and overnighted Monday. Beautiful trail, not as hard as rated (I’d say it’s moderate).
But, getting over the boulder field at north gap lake with a full pack could be a little dicey for some, not too bad with just a day pack or something light. You’ll just need a lot of balance and a heavy pack could throw you off and ruin your day.
Snow was all melted off the trails.
Gorgeous flowers the entire way. My wife’s new favorite trail.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Nice views. As the snow and ice melts late this summer, this will be a nice running trail (with forced stoppages for rock scrambles, stream crossings, and maybe a snowfield or two that might not melt). I parked at Libby Flats and ran the road into the trail for a nice warmup before the technical stuff). Go early though, the crowds were gathering on my way out.

Monday, May 15, 2017

love this!

Saturday, August 22, 2015

Parked at Libby Lake on Free National Park Day. It was packed! It is normally $5 day fee. My three 6-9 year old's, two dogs and myself hiked over the saddle and camped for the night near Rainbow Lake. Amazing! Did not meet a soul after going over the saddle. Lost the trail a few times, but easy enough to find it again. Saw some moose and marmot. Very cold. Our packs and tent were frozen stiff the next morning. But not us! :)

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Started out for North Gap. Wife and Kids were sick of the car before we got there so we stopped at Barber lake instead, about two or three miles below North Gap. Wonderful time the first mile or so is a little civilized, some cabins, cars, etc. After that the real trail begins. A little steep in some places, but overall this is a good family trail after about three miles, the trail forks the lower fork dead ends at a campsite and I assume the other fork connects to Barber Lake.

Friday, July 18, 2014

Very scenic trail. Started at Sugarloaf Campground. Check snow conditions on trail, take sunscreen and insect repellent. Adventurous hikers need to crest the peak west of North Gap Lake, attack from the North side, Todd Scott memorial plaque at peak. For snowmobilers this hill is known as Widow-maker.

Friday, July 11, 2014

Absolutely incredible trail! It ranks as one of two of my all time favorites. I started on the Lakes Trail and then trail ran up North Gap Lake Trail till the snow and ice made it impossible for me to push on. Along the way you see stunning views of the mountains, I spotted a moose, and you'll enjoy hearing the rock badgers chirp at you as you circumnavigate the lakes.

Saturday, August 13, 2016