Mystic Falls Trail and Fairy Creek- Little Firehole Loop

Mystic Falls Trail and Fairy Creek- Little Firehole Loop is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

hot springs

Gorgeous waterfall views rewards you after a tough hike up to the overlook, bring your water. This trail is much quieter, which is great for those avoiding the tourist throng in Biscuit Basin. Definitely take the whole loop around for the best views!

Great hike! The views were amazing but the hike was tough! The path can be very rocky at times. Make sure you have sturdy shoes and plenty of water. Go to the overlook first and then down to the falls.

I just walked to see the geysers under the mountain and didn't go to see the fall. I think the geysers here are even more beautiful than those in upper geysers.

I recommend doing the overlook first and then looping back to the falls. The first half is strenuous for folks who aren’t in stellar shape. However, the views are worth it.

I loved this hike!! We did the whole loop, hiking to the overlook first. The switchbacks to the overlook are strenuous, but the views are stunning! We continued onto the beautiful falls from there. Along the entire loop we saw so many variety of wildflowers! More that 15 varieties! I was in awe! We hiked this the second week in July. This trail met all my expectations for a high Mountain View, a beautiful falls, and lovely mountain wildflowers!!

We took the loop towards the right. it's pretty steep. be careful at the overlook losing the trail... if you keep trying to follow the ridge, you'll still see footprints for a bit but the loop actually cuts back very shortly once you reach the top. Ironically, the greenness and the non-western rolling hills-esque look combined with the steam (as if it were from a factory!), and the new growth trees smaller sized trees makes it look like Connecticut or upstate New York. In other words, not super impressive. The trail itself is quite nice and well maintained however, and the view of the falls coming down is better than towards the base of them. They're very nice falls. The remainder of the trail back along the creek is very nice too. then of.course the most.unique feature is that it contains biscuit Basin! Also it's true, this is a great way to escape crowds. it was astounding the line of cars and line to park at several of the surrounding areas. it's also true there's a ton of mosquitoes. load up on bugspray!

beautiful falls, lots of mosquitoes and a decently busy hike so going early in the morning or later in the evening is probably best

Great trail to get panoramic views of the biscuit basin and geysers, and the waterfall was super pretty. I started from the biscuit basin and went to the observation point first which had some decent switchbacks and then looked around to the waterfalls. I’d recommend that route!

Nice hike the first half is pretty challenging. Bring big spray and a headnet if you have one. Falls are lovely nice spot to picnic up top.

A beautiful hike accessed from Biscuit Basin Geyser. We did the out & back trail to the falls. Stopped a while at the very pretty falls where we had some little squirrels come to visit. We then made our way back to Old Faithful via BIscuit Basin.

I didn't get to complete any long or "hard" hikes due to time restraints (only in yS one day) but this was by far my favorite. great views, seclusion, a good workout, and plenty of pic ops. i was hesitant on doing the whole loop at first but I'm glad I went for it. it feeds off of that hot springs trail which is an extra bonus to start or end your journey.

hiked 5/25/18 this trail is now open. after the boardwalk you will see a sign for mystic falls. you can either do a loop or in and out. 3.5 for loop. Stay to the right when you get to a fork and you will do some elevation then come down to the falls with beautiful view. great hike will be back. there is hardly any snow. there a few small water crossings.

Beautiful. And is closer to easy than moderate. Plenty of change but plenty flat

I have done this Mystic Falls loop three different times of the summer. Mid-to-late June is the best b/c the snow melt is awesome; the water is roaring; and there are small waterfalls that are very nice that are gone by mid-July and thereafter. Every time I go back to YNP, this hike is a Must. A repeat.

Make sure to do the entire loop. If you start low, keep going up and up and up after you pass the falls. It’s a peaceful hike and chances are you won’t encounter many others. The view at the top is great.

A good change of pace from the geyser basin boardwalk trails. No crowds and a surprisingly nice waterfall to view. We hiked to this from the Old Faithful Lodge so it was a little longer than the stated 3.4 miles.

An easy hike but one of the more enjoyable ones that we did on our trip. Gives you the feeling of being out of the way without having to go too far out into the back country. We ran into a few other groups but everyone was very considerate. Bring a camera and enjoy the falls!

Easy trail for the whole family. Glad we took the time to go and see the falls. Beautiful scenery. I would call this more of an easy walk with a few little hills here and there. Two trail routes, one that goes to the base of the falls and one that goes to the top. Both are beautiful.

What a great waterfall. so worth the hike. Went to the lower part of the falls

Thursday, August 17, 2017

Great hike, beautiful scenery, lots of raspberries along the trail, no beat sightings, and just a few human sightings! Otters I. The creek on descent, and an adrenaline pulsing hail storm literally from out of the blue (sky!). Trail not clearly marked at times.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

The waterfall itself is decent but I think Fairy Falls, which is near the Midway Geyser Basin, has a prettier hike and waterfall. As other people have said definitely do the overlook as that is the best part of the trail but also optional.

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

We took the trail up to the Biscuit Basin Overlook first. I recommend this highly. That way the reward of swimming in Mystic Falls and being refreshed is that much more worth it. It's uphill to the overlook, but not too bad. Take lots of water and some snacks.

Be ready to take pictures. Saw lots of beautiful birds along the trail. It's a busy trail but not with all the bus traffic.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

beautiful trail. a little bit of everything, from a river to a waterfall to climbing up the mountain. great hike!

Friday, July 28, 2017

Wow. Gorgeous, beautiful, so worth it! Definitely a tough way up to the overlook, so bring your water lol. That part of the trail is much quieter though which is perfect when avoiding the tourist throng in Biscuit Basin. I accidentally took a game trail rather than the real trail (it had turned a hard left at the overlook and I didn't realize) so wasted a good 15 minutes walking in the woods and getting thoroughly confused stumbling upon multiple seeming forks. When I finally decided to turn around even if I was wrong, a couple of hikers had made my mistake too. Once I got back to the overlook I immediately saw the turn of the real trail though. The waterfall is gorgeous and dramatic and a perfect reward too! Definitely take the whole loop around!

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Start the hike through the geothermal area, into the forest and to the waterfall. Enough shade for a hot day although water too rough to get in to get cool. No issues for my 3.5 and 5 year olds. Waterfall was very nice.

Friday, July 21, 2017

One of my favorite hikes in Yellowstone. Hiked in mid-July. Beautiful hike along the river leading to the falls. We went out and back to the falls while avoiding the steeper section of the trail. Be aware of bears. Saw a black bear with her three cubs directly on the trail and waited until they left the area.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Beautiful waterfall at the end thats fun to mess around in. Found the trail fairly easy but bring bug spray.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Very nice moderate hike. It has some steep areas and wonderful views. The falls are a nice reward as is the running creek.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Wished so badly for this trail to be a pleasant experience after maneuvering Biscuit Basin, but even after lots of bug spray during June, this was miserable for us. Mainly exposed in the sun. We turned around at the overlook and viewed the falls from afar just to save our skin. We were warned but thought we were prepared with layers of spray as well as layers of clothing. Hopefully you have a better experience than we did.

Saturday, July 01, 2017

Beautiful trail. The waterfall was so full when we did it in June. Steep at parts but very doable with kids. Very pretty.

Saturday, July 01, 2017

quite a blast! fun roote, some area can get steep. great view of water fall.