Mystic Falls - Geyser Basin Loop

Mystic Falls - Geyser Basin Loop is a 8.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until September.

Distance: 8.9 miles Elevation Gain: 928 feet Route Type: Loop

Note: Areas of this trail may be closed between Mar 10 and the Friday of Memorial Day weekend due to bear conservation efforts. For more information, please see https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/management/bearclosures.htm

My wife and I hiked from the old faithful trail head up to the overlook and out to biscuit basin, looping counter clockwise past the scenic view and mystic falls. According to her Fitbit we went approx 12 miles. This hike offered a lot of variety, on board walks past geysers and pool, up switchbacks, through dense forest, and along rivers and waterfall. We were here during the peak July season and found this trail (although packed around old faithful) offered solitude. The wild flowers are amazing as well. Highly recommended.

Nice to see the gyser region, beautiful views. We managed to get away from tourists as much as possible due to some detours. No 5 rating as the long flat sections got a bit boring

At the start of this trail, you hike on boardwalks around hot springs, mudpots, and geysers. Beautiful! Then you begin to hike through pine forest and up a steep hillside to get to the top of an outlook with incredible views of the entire valley. We didn’t have enough time to hike the whole loop, so we actually did an out-and-back hike up to the mística falls peak and back through the springs.

I did not see Mystic Falls because it is closed due to bear activity. The rest of the hike was enjoyable. Whenever you get off the boardwalk, you get the trail to yourself, along with geysers and mud pots. I recommend the Outlook over Old Faithful. Trail is muddy and wet, snowy in places. Nice day hike. Moderate. Bison activity. As always, carry bear spray.

Saturday, September 08, 2018

First, I will clarify that I am a middle aged, chubby woman who hates inclines. That being said, this was a good hike for me lol. I hiked this trail on 08/30, weather was warm and dry. The Biscuit Basin boardwalks are great, full of beautiful pools and active geothermals. There were a few spouts going off, but my main interest was seeing Mystic Falls, so I headed into the woods. I was hiking alone, so had bear spray and music playing. There are some hills with a bit of elevation gain (again, I'm chunky so didnt like it lol) but completely doable by anyone who walks even a couple thousand steps a day. I caught up to a ranger-led tour, which I was tempted to join, but had a few other hikes in mind for the day, so I trekked on. The trail goes through some wooded areas, slowly gaining in height. You come to the river run off from the falls, and it is really pretty in that area. The falls themselves are gorgeous. I spent about 20 minutes there, and I was completely alone (the tour group took a while, passed them on my way back out). The hike isnt that long, but if you are like me and not in the greatest shape, it is a goid little hike to get the blood pumping and see a great waterfall. Apparently, this hike can be combined into a longer loop trail with Fairy Falls, but I did them separately, and on different days.

Thursday, September 06, 2018

Hiked from the parking lot at biscuit basin to the overlooked and watched old faithful erupt then continued to hiked the loop over to mystic falls and back to parking lot.

Monday, September 03, 2018

Took the trail with a park ranger. Very informative and interesting.