Mystic Falls

Mystic Falls is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 2.4 miles Elevation Gain: 147 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The trail is well marked and maintained. Mystic Falls is very pretty but the overlook area is quite steep with loose rocks.

We played in the falls for about an hour and had a great time

Good easy hike with great pay off in the form of a gorgeous waterfall you can touch! Easy for whole family, but there’s an option to take the upper loop for additional challenge. The lower hike was just what we needed after 3 intense days in Yellowstone. Park at Biscuit Basin, walk past the beautiful Sapphire lake to find the trail head. Get there before noon for parking!

Great trail to a beautiful waterfall. if you are fit make the loop. If you are out of shape and have bad knees go straight to the waterfall and back, that's what I did. My daughter and one grandchild took the loop, ty he views were grand from up on top!

This was a great hike. So many beautiful views. All of my kids loved it. Wasn’t too long or steep. Even for my 4 year old!

Great out and back with the family. 6 year old made it no problem. Great combination of scenery, water features, thermal features, wildflowers and gentle topography.

It was so beautiful! When you got to the end there were tons of amazing picture opportunities! Some cute chipmunks running around by the falls. The best falls I’ve seen in Yellowstone so far! The trail was not very tiring or steep. You can decide if you want to get more climbing or just a regular trail. I highly recommend going through Biscuit Basin.

worth it

Great trail, moderate loop. Follow the orange flags when you get to the basin overlook to complete the loop- many people didn’t see where the trail continued so they turned around and missed the falls entirely.

Beautiful hike on a beautiful day. We did the loop, which I would rate as moderate. If we had only gone straight to the Falls and back I would have rated as easy. Glad we did the loop, though, since it had some really fun switchbacks (one of our group felt a little exposed) and great views. The waterfalls were spectacular! We did not see any big wildlife on this hike today other than a bison at the beginning of the trail. We parked at a pull off about 100 or 200 yards south of biscuit basin and hiked from there.

Hikes this trail with the whole family. It was very fun and the falls were beautiful

Hiked this trail to the overlook. Wow! it's a gorgeous view. I'd call it a moderate hike. We are seniors in our 60's, and felt like it gave us a little challenge. We packed our lunch and sat at the overlook eating on a beautiful fall afternoon. The only disappointment we had was the lack of wildlife. Even from the overlook, we could see no wildlife. But, that's the way it's been the entire trip. Where are all the animals? Wolves taking care of them?

Loved this hike! To the falls is a easy hike. We decided to do the loop after we got to the falls and saw how amazing it was. We went to the falls first and I want to think going to the falls first is the best route. But when we came down the other side it looked more gradual and had switchbacks. Our favorite hike in the park that we done this weekend.

Awesome trail with some climbing required. We added the overlook to the trail with awesome views of the basin which made the whole trip 3.4miles. Falls were stunning.

nice hike you can access via biscuit basin. you'll reach a fork in the trail- go left for the shorter route (0.6 miles more, i think) or go straight for the longer route (1.7 miles more).

Sunday, August 12, 2018

We did the loop to include observation point. Great views from the top and we spent a long time just enjoying the outlook area. We climbed down to the falls which were nice. We went down river from the falls and soaked our feet in the river while we enjoyed the morning sun. A nice hike but can get steep at times. The trail is not well maintained on the observation climb with loose gravel and some slippery spots this should be a moderate level hike. Overall a nice hike with falls and views

Sunday, June 17, 2018

Despite being hailed and snowed on while hiking this in late May, we enjoyed the hike and the falls. Very nice trail. We didn't do the loop, just hiked the one or two switchbacks up to a more level view of the top of the falls, and then went back they way we came.

Saturday, June 16, 2018

It is an easy hike with nice views. I would highly suggest you to do round trip hike. Early in the season you can see nice wild flowers.

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

On a road trip, my friend and I had decided to summit one of the Tetons rather than backpack in Yellowstone, so we had only one day to spend in this legendary park. We chose to see the geothermal vents and then do this waterfall loop. I definitely wasn’t disappointed with either. We hiked in the evening, and had the trail to ourselves; the sun set below the trees at the waterfall and under a colorfully streaked sky on our return we took in a herd of buffalo below us on the range. We also encountered a shy black bear. I can’t wait to get back to this magical place!

Thursday, January 11, 2018

Moderately trafficked easy hike past the gorgeous Sapphire Pool to the picturesque Mystic Falls. We're glad we went up the first set of switchbacks (2.7m roundtrip) for a better, higher view of the waterfall.

Thursday, October 12, 2017

Really nice easy hike to a cool waterfall...some options to go up or down and make it more challenging but we just hung out at the bottom of the falls and took it in...did it with my wife and two daughters (ages 6, 3). They handled it with no problems.

Friday, September 29, 2017

Great waterfall and it's beautiful out there, but there is sooooo much traffic on this trail.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Amazing! Got there nice and early....cool out, very serene before the mobs....

recorded Mystic Falls