Mud Volcano Trail

Mud Volcano Trail is a 0.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming that features hot springs and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for walking and nature trips and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 0.7 miles Elevation Gain: 114 feet Route Type: Loop

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

hot springs

paved

Turbulent pools of hot, muddy water, hillsides strewn with trees cooked by steam, strange odors, and a bizarre landscape. This sums up a normal experience when visiting the Mud Volcano loop or as some call it "Cooking Hillside". Mud Volcano has been described as "most repulsive and terrifying" by early explorers. The volcano-like cone stands 30 feet high by 30 feet wide, with mud erupting and covering nearby trees. The area is called "Cooking Hillside" because the surround landscape has soil temperatures of 200 degrees. Some of the other features of the area include Mud Cauldron, Mud Geyser, Sizzling Basin, Churning Cauldron, Sour Lake, and Dragon's Mouth Spring.

easy little loop around. Some cool features to check out along the way. Churning Cauldron is pretty wild. Worth the time for sure.

The Dragon Mouth Springs is the best part of the Trail. It sounds like a dragon, and is very pretty of an area.

Super cool. Great for families with young kids, wry manageable.

Surprised at how much I liked this stop. We just did the small loop by the parking lot due to time, but it was something different to see spouting/bubbling mud. I'd come again.

Steep climb up but very rewarding once you get to see the mud volcano and sour lake. Good, short hike.

We did a night hike with 2 rangers. It’s a total different experience. I recommend it highly to everyone. On top of it it was full moon.

This trail features several cool thermal features. After seeing most of the others around the park, we weren’t expecting much. However, we were very impressed! As an added bonus, we encountered a bison along the way.

Very cool thermal area in the park - constantly changing with unusual features. Go clockwise for a more gradual climb to the top.

Lots to see at this stop in Yellowstone. The Dragons Breath was pretty cool! Had to avoid bison coming up and over the boardwalk in front of us. Well worth spending some quality time here! My apologies for the last of the recording, was having so much fun I forgot to turn off the recording.

July 17, 2019 the upper part of the trail was closed from either direction. There wasn't any signage except for a few cones and some caution tape. Because we couldn't complete the trail I can't leave a glowing review. What we did see was enjoyable.

recorded Mud Volcano Trail

closed

It was nice and sights were great! It wasn’t long at all. It was a bit crowded and the boardwalk was kind of creaky, but would do again. Smell was definitely there..... but not that bad. We saw a bison about 30 feet from the trail.

I never considered walking around these features a hike. I must be weird I don't think the sulfur smells stink all that bad. Everything you get to see is well worth the short hike.

Did this clockwise and are glad we did! The trail is just stunning. We thoroughly enjoyed this and my mom, who used to work in Yellowstone, said it’s her new favorite spot in the park.

We enjoyed this mostly boardwalked hike to look at the Mud volcanoes. If you have limited mobility take the trail up the left (counterclockwise) side of the trail to see the features—its a less steep incline. The right side has stairs and benches along the way

Beautiful stink. Do it clockwise. The churning Calderon and dragons mouth spring were amazing.

Amazing trail! When we went there was a herd of buffalo on the boardwalk! It was amazing!!!

Lots of thermal features in a short easy boardwalk trail. Worth the stop

Bizarre is the only word for this place...not like the rest of Yellowstone at all. Definitely recommend.

Interesting but other spots in Yellowstone are nicer.

Thursday, September 13, 2018

More geysers. All unique

Thursday, August 30, 2018

Really cool place, definitely check it ou.

Friday, August 24, 2018

dragon's mouth spring was the neatest feature here. the mud pots at artists paint pots are cuter, lol.

Friday, August 10, 2018

So many mud pots. It's my first time to see the boiling mud. Very cute.

Friday, July 27, 2018

This was our first loop / home at Yellowstone, an excellent way to start. Relatively short and super informative, many interesting features to see.

Thursday, July 26, 2018

everything is beautiful. it's all on a different scale of beauty

Sunday, July 08, 2018

This was a nice walk. A lot of people complain about the smell. It’s not pleasant by any means but It didn’t bother me. Maybe I just happen to be there on decent afternoon. There was several bison on the trail to see as well. And I mean up and close.

Monday, June 04, 2018

Beautiful

Saturday, May 19, 2018

Awesome. Other than mud pots and funerals saw buffalo

Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Such an interesting hike with lots of geological features!!