New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Mount Wagner Trail

Mount Wagner Trail is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Smoot, Wyoming that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and backpacking and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.1 miles Elevation Gain: 3,366 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Cottonwood Creek Road is approx 8 miles south of Afton Wy. Follow this and it becomes Forest Road #10208. Cont on this road for about 7 miles passing the campground and the Cottonwood Lake just prior to reaching a small parking area at the end of the road.

Probably one of my favorite hikes ever! Such a gorgeous setting - especially during wild flower season (we went early August), and so peaceful to not see anyone else on trail. But it’s super steep - especially that last mile to the summit! So coming down was brutal - but overall worth it!

Thu Jul 13 2017

I've done this twice, once in early July and once in late August. There was still snow patches in July and snow along the ridge to the peak so we only went to the lakes that time. Beautiful flowers. Consistently steep for most of the trail and a few streams to pass. Beautiful day hike.

Wed Jul 12 2017

Beautiful hike with wildflowers, snow banks and waterfalls. Had to cross several small streams but not too difficult. We only went as far as Wagner Lake but the GPS measured 8.6 miles R/T.

Mon Jul 03 2017

Beautiful trail, I hiked it over the 4th of July weekend and did not see another person on the trail. Breathtaking waterfall and flowers galore. The problem I had was the snow stoped me just short of getting to the peak. That said, not getting to the peak just gives me the excuse the try again later. I'll be back!

Sun Oct 29 2017