Learn more

Moon Lake Trail is a 12.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Dubois, Wyoming that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 12.8 mi Elevation gain 1,384 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (7)
Recordings (0)
Completed (3)
Johannes Benink
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 28, 2019
OHV/Off Road Driving

Made it more than half way onto the trail driving a Ford F-250 pickup truck. Was told not to drive any further because it gets gnarly. It was already gnarly driving a pickup, so I heeded the advice and turned around. Good thing. I drove into a thunderstorm. Next time I’ll hike in unless I purchase a side-by-side ATV (with tracks in winter). Luckily my cabin is only 5 miles away from the “trail head.” Looking forward to hiking it. Only a few bugs in early July 2019.

George Ligon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 22, 2017
Hiking
First to Review

This is more of a road than a trail, but a very rough one. In good weather it took us over an hour from start to finish in a truck. It would be almost as fast to hike it. The road technically terminates at Moon Lake, but the last 150ft are very steep down to the bank. There's several camp sites once you get to the lake. 2-3 right down by the water, and several more up top before the road drop. We took a canoe out on the lake, but didn't see any fish. I'd say this is a pretty good hike. Great views and great pay off at the end if you're camping. As I said, it's actually a road, but I would advise heavily against going on it unless you're into that sort of thing.