Mirror Lake and Lost Twin Lakes Trail

Mirror Lake and Lost Twin Lakes Trail is a 10.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hyattville, Wyoming that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,922 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from US Hwy. 16: Take US Hwy. 16 east of Ten Sleep, Wyoming, 18 miles. Turn left onto West Tensleep Lake Road Trail seven miles to the end at West Tensleep Trailhead.

This is national forest trail 65, I wish All Trails listed it. The trail is defiantly over 10, I had 12.5 but I did lose the trail for about 15 mins. I think getting down to the shore of Twin lakes isn't accounted for, maybe that's where the extra milage comes in. There was one point where the trail didn't match up with the app, hence me losing the trail for a bit, and of course there happened to be a game trail that tempted me into a meadow where I lost the real trail. The trail is fairly well maintained, there are some steep rocky areas that I was glad for my poles but I didn't need them for most of the trail.

Great trail for a beginner backpacking trip. Me and two friends hiked to the lost twin lakes in under 4 hours. After fishing at the lost twin lakes and catching amazing alpine cutthroats we hiked back down to camp in the grass basin under the lakes. We slept about 30 feet from a mother moose and calf the entire night. Great alternative hike from west ten sleep trailhead if Mistymoon is a bit to much for you. The view at the top is amazing cliffs dropping into the lakes

Amazing hike! I cannot recommend it highly enough. Amazing views and we saw so much wildlife. We left the trailhead at 10am and got to the lake at 1pm without rushing. We had lunch, walked around the first lake and went for a swim (very cold!!). We spent about 2 hours up by the lake and got back to the car by 5.30pm. Do it!

Easy going and only moderate the last bit to Twin lakes. A great day hike with good chance of spotting wild life!

Great hike. Trail is 13.4 miles round trip, not the 10+ as advertised.

Got to the trailhead about 6am, highly recommend doing this hike early. Watching the sun come up made this about as good as it gets. 2 crossings where my boots got a little wet but very manageable. The lake had tons of mosquitoes so if you’re planning on staying up top a while bring big spray. Overall very beautiful trail.

Wow. Everything you could want in a hike. Made this in a day. Taking my time, I went out and back in about 8 hours. Eating lunch at the lakes. Ran into several moose. Waterfalls were running strong. With bug spray, bugs completely leave you alone. Highly recommend!

Great trail. One day out and back on July 11, 2019. Two minor creek crossings that were easy with extra shoes. The trail out & back is more like 12-13 miles depending on how much you get off of it to explore. This trail has it all: forest, lakes, creeks, waterfalls, elevation, plenty of water to filter, great views, good fishing, easy to follow trail, and very few people! Check out a video of the hike on YouTube at Nolan Ventures.

https://youtu.be/gQvxvLpdAfM Attached is our documented hike along Mirror and Lost Twin Lakes on YouTube channel Nolan Ventures. Great trail, creeks very crossable with river crossing shoes as of July 11th, spectacular views.

Amazing hike. We went in early June three years ago and there was still a fair amount of snow up by the last part of the trail to get to Twin Lakes. We lost the trail due to the conditions for Twin Lakes, but would certainly come back and do this hike again. Marmots were everywhere!

Wednesday, September 05, 2018

Incredible hike! We completed this as a long day hike, which was certainly doable, although a bit much for one day (adding in time at the Twin Lakes for fishing). We will probably pack in and camp next time. The hike is definitely longer than 10.3 RT. Not counting a slight detour where we lost the trail briefly, my tracker showed 6.25-6.5 miles in, making for over 12 miles RT. The hike in took us right around 3 hours including some stops for snacks. It is definitely work the trek, as the Lost Lakes are absolutely incredible and the meadows along the way are stunning as well. Keep an eye out for moose, and be sure to bring your fishing gear... These lakes (esp Lost Lakes) are teeming with some good sized trout!

Wednesday, August 29, 2018

This place is only for the marmots!

Saturday, August 04, 2018

One of our favorite hikes in the Bighorns. This area is rich in scenery, wildlife and trails to hike.

Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Bring bug spray. Overall great hike. We backpacked and stayed overnight at Lost Twin.

Friday, June 29, 2018

Great long-ish day hike or over-nighter with a waterfall at the start. Steady ascent with fairly open country. The two times I've made the trip (Late June & Early July) there's been a pretty little waterfall coming off of Darton Peak near the Lower Twin. Be sure to take the short climb to the east of the Lower Twin to get a great view. Wildflowers galore

Thursday, February 01, 2018

Good memories. Easy.

Sunday, September 03, 2017

Views were amazing! Should have brought fishing gear, maybe next time. Saw a moose and lots of birds. Everyone was exhausted at the end - no complaints though, well worth the effort!

Monday, August 07, 2017

Took us 3 hours to reach Lost Twin Lakes (2 fit adults, only a few short breaks) And 2 hr 15 minutes to get back. My GPS said 6.25 miles from trailhead to the top. We passed maybe 4 other groups while hiking. Beautiful hike! A few challenging parts. Mostly at the very end. Bring bug spray! Lots of mosquitoes.

Friday, July 07, 2017

Amazing hike to Lost Twin Lakes! We packed in and stayed the night lakeside after a moderate day of hiking. Mirror Lake continued to allude us both ways, not an obvious stop on the trail. Overall a great overnight one day backpack, but be sure to bring bug spray the mosquitoes were bad at the beginning of July!

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Amazing scenery!

Monday, June 27, 2016

Well traveled trail with excellent fishing along the way. Easily hiked with young children to Mirror Lake.

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Very nice one night backpack !!

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

This was an amazing hike!! We mad it a nice 2 dayer.. Camped up on top in between the lakes and was gonna press on up to Darton Peak, but it got to cold and super windy it also snowed the 2nd night ( IN JULY!!)( just a skiff but dam cold)(not expecting that wrong gear!) we will definitely be back to do this again!! Make sure you take plenty of bug spray, the mosquitoes were horrible over at mirror Lake!! Great fishing as well!!

Friday, August 07, 2015

My brother and I did this hike last weekend. We have been to Mirror Lake before but never Lost Twins. We started out from West Tensleep Lake at 7:30am and made it to Lost Twins by 11:30am with food/water breaks in between. There were quiet a few people on the trail but most were packing in to stay the night. We had already decided to make it a long day hike. The lakes and cliff faces are impressive and something you will never forget! The trail is easy to follow and only has a few difficult spots. Be sure to bring your fishing pole and your dogs! We made it back to the truck by 4:30pm after catching our limit on fish.

Wednesday, August 05, 2015

Lovely trail that I do occasionally. Always impressive to approach the lakes and see the cliffs. Good fishing and not too strenuous, you can get there in an afternoon from the trail head. No camp fires up there, and you've got to pack out your poop. You are warned.

Sunday, July 29, 2012

This was a GREAT hike I would definitely recommend it!! It was a hard hike for me at the time but the views are WELL worth it!!