Middle Teton Southwest Couloir

Middle Teton Southwest Couloir is a 13 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Moose, Wyoming that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September.

Distance: 13.0 miles Elevation Gain: 5,314 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

This is the standard route on the Middle Teton. From the Meadows, head up the south fork of Garnet Canyon. Climb all the way to the saddle between the Middle and South Tetons. Then the SW Couloir to the peak. This is more of climb and proper equipment is highly recommended.

I started about 3:30 AM I made it to the ridge by sun rise at around 5:30-6. The route is easy up until you get to the point where there is a mile or so scree field (it was also still dark and no moon so I used my head lamp most of the time.) Although I stayed more right and bipassed the glacier on my left. I took a short cut and free climbed (5.6-5.7 I don’t recommend this) about 30-40 feet with 2-3 pitches to get on the Middle Tetons ridge. This is definitely a class 3-4 climb, but soo much fun. I made it to the top around 7:45 ish. The down climbing kinda sucked, but down climbing is never fun. Getting down took me longer than getting up the last 1,000 feet of elevation. I took me a total of about 8 hours and 15.6 miles. Again I don’t think I took the correct route up. Oops...

The route shown here is the southwest couloir, not the glacier route. Also the route shown here doesn't make it to the summit. The glacier route is accessed via the north fork of garnet canyon, not the south as shown here.

As others have mentioned. This is not exactly a “hike”. To make it to the saddle, and then the summit involves multiple boulder fields, scrambling up very steep and loose rocks, crossing a couple snow fields (trekking poles used on this day) and definitely good route finding skills. You can easily end up in the wrong place, and the wrong place can be deadly. Heck, the “right” place on this hike can be deadly with a slip or trip! We saw a hiker getting air lifted out yesterday as we hiked. So please use caution with this one. It is beautiful! And the summit was amazing. But this one needs to be researched, planned accordingly and you need proper safety equipment, (Helmet, ice ax, trekking poles..etc) before giving it a go :) oh, and we also logged 14.5 miles RT with summiting. And it took us 13 hours.

don't be mistaken this is not a "hike". this is scrambling with snow fields, loose scree in sections and class 3 boulder fields.very physically demanding. we only made it to the saddle due to time constraints but it's so awesome up there. totally worth the effort don't forget your bear spray. water can be filtered at one spot below the tree line and all over once you get to the boulders.

Crazy. Don’t recommend to do it in one day. We went to the summit of the middle teton and back in 11 hours. Legs are killing me. Also very sketchy going up to the top with loose rocks and whatever

Beautiful but very challenging Hike / climb. Boulder fields and snow aplenty. The summiting is worth the effort. Great views throughout.

Garnet meadows

Had a pretty rough go at this trail, however it provides some amazing views and we did make the summit. Several large boulder fields, three pretty significant snow patches, and lots of loose rock within a mile of the summit. RT is at least 17 miles. Got caught in rain, which resulted in a 15 hour trip for three experienced hikers. Crampons and ice axes are a must. Do not test the weather! Expect a two hour, very exposed RT from the saddle to the summit. Bring lots of food and water, you cannot be over prepared for this hike.

Friday, August 10, 2018

I was unprepared for climbing over van sized rocks; too dangerous for me.

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Did this as an overnight with a couple of friends in 2014. Slept like a brick in the saddle even though it was windy as hell and our tent almost blew over, and then summited in the morning. My first peak over 10,000 ft! The scramble was really exciting, but not too difficult. There was still snowpack in late September. It was absolutely beautiful in the valleys and meadows below tree line, with flowing creeks and abundant wildlife. One of my favorite hikes I have ever done.

Monday, October 30, 2017

Did this trail for the total eclipse 8/21/17. Incredible!

Sunday, August 16, 1992