Medicine Bow Trail

Medicine Bow Trail is a 6.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Saratoga, Wyoming that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Rocky scramble at higher elevation, subalpine wildflowers are plentiful. Very steep and follows switchbacks up to the highest points on the Snowy Range.

Beautiful and fantastic hike, hills are reasonable if you're used to the altitude. Can be challenging coming from low altitude, so be sure to take it slow

definitely worth the trip!

Hiked the loop clockwise on Friday, with my dog. Had it all to ourselves on the way up and at the top, though on the way down there were people. Great trail, great views. Loved it.

Great trail! Stunning views from high altitude. Great Wildflowers.

This hike completely changed my outlook on hiking. I used to dislike hiking, but the spectacular views, varied ecotomes, and general variety of scenery in this hike is absolutely amazing. It is rocky, which makes it a difficult hike, but completely worth it. There are some exposed sections, and hiking on snow is required (not for much of the hike, just about 20-50 yards).

Still, this is the best hike I have ever been on and has convinced me to go hiking a lot more often. Now, instead of looking for other activities to do while my family hikes, I actively look forward to hiking and go almost every weekend.

Great hike, spectacular scenery. A little snow at the top, but that's all. Be prepared for afternoon storms.

One of my all time favorite hikes! Did it this morning. The wildflowers are everywhere and gorgeous! There's still a little snow at the top but it's totally passable in hiking boots.

Did this hike July 3rd. There were still patches of snow throughout the trail and a couple slick spots but nothing extreme, hiking shoes were sufficient. Came up from the Lake Marie trailhead and the plan was to do the entire loop but it turned out to be much more difficult then I imagined. Once I got to the peak I was not 100% sure which way the trail went down on the other side and the snow on top of all the boulders seemed a little sketchy so I came back down the same way. It was an amazing hike though. I got to the trailhead around 10:30 and I would say it was a little too late if you want to avoid the afternoon thunderstorms and rainstorms. I got rained on a couple of times but nothing much. The ENTIRE hike was beautiful though! I would definitely recommend this hike.

Did this hike three weeks ago in snowshoes, absolutely stunning. My original plan was to complete the loop starting at the West Lake Marie trailhead. I parked there and climbed the snow covered hill (snow was mostly gone as of yesterday July 1). I hiked through the snow and paralleled the ridge until I was able to find a cairn. I followed the cairns across massive snowfields and boulders until I reached the top. It tried to take the short way back down, but was blocked by overhanging snow ledges. Instead of climbing back up then huge boulders again, i ended up traversing the back side of the mountain for several miles until I intersected the original trail again and made my way down. Lots of snow up there as of yesterday. I met several folks from the Sugerloaf side yesterday who planned to climb that way to the top.

Great hike! Make sure to plan an entire day so you can enjoy it.

I went at the end of summer so thunderstorms were threatening us but it was absolutely stunning! The lakes were extremely refreshing!