Medicine Bow Trail

Medicine Bow Trail is a 6.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Saratoga, Wyoming that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Rocky scramble at higher elevation, subalpine wildflowers are plentiful. Very steep and follows switchbacks up to the highest points on the Snowy Range.

Beware of this trail in the winter!!! The maps are incorrect, both online and at the trailhead. It says the trail is a 7mile loop, which is not true. After me and my partner hiked this peak we came to the conclusion that the switch backs into the valley must have been destroyed by a rock slide or something like that. Because of this we had to hike about 7 miles along the peak until we were able to scale down the boulder cliff face at the very north end of the valley to reach the valley ground before night fall. This trail is not fit for the snow and the trail markers are extremely confusing and scarce. I suggest hikers give yourself at least 4 more hours to explore than originally planned. Please be careful, we had a very frightening experience!

Love the snow range area!!!

I've hiked this trail twice and I've yet to be disappointed. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! Highly recommended for anyone who loves a good challenge and view that pays off.

Hiked this on Sunday of Labor Day Weekend. We went counterclockwise on the loop, which we felt like was a good call since the way up was very steep and rocky and the way back down was a bit more gradual. There was a bit of a crowd at the summit of Medicine Bow Peak, but otherwise we saw few people. The views of the lakes surrounding the mountain are magnificent and make the difficult ascent well worth it. Be prepared for lots of boulder fields, but once you're on top of the mountain it levels off.

I give this trail four stars because the views are stunning, BUT, be sure to pay attention to the trail markers and not confuse the old fence posts to the left of the summit post as the markers for the descent. My wife and I were backpacking, and there were also three day-hikers on the trail with us, who all thought the old fence posts were trail markers. Where this led us was a steep descent via scree fields down the peak and onto the ridge line. We got down to the ridge line right when a thunderstorm hit, turning the whole ridge line into slick rock. My wife and I, along with one of the dayhikers safely switchbacked down the mountain to the lakes on the north side. We ended up camping at Vanguard Lake and had a peaceful night after the stressful day. We are assuming the other two day hikers followed the post along the ridge down to the Gap Lakes where they then exited the park. Absolutely beautiful area, but can lead to danger if misguided or not prepared. Please, always, always carry maps!!

This was a great hike for my family. It is well marked with wooden posts for trail markers. They take you all the way to the top. We hiked from the marie trailhead and it was a 5k to the top. It snowed for about 15min of our hike! awesome.

Beautiful and fantastic hike, hills are reasonable if you're used to the altitude. Can be challenging coming from low altitude, so be sure to take it slow

definitely worth the trip!

Hiked the loop clockwise on Friday, with my dog. Had it all to ourselves on the way up and at the top, though on the way down there were people. Great trail, great views. Loved it.

Great trail! Stunning views from high altitude. Great Wildflowers.

This hike completely changed my outlook on hiking. I used to dislike hiking, but the spectacular views, varied ecotomes, and general variety of scenery in this hike is absolutely amazing. It is rocky, which makes it a difficult hike, but completely worth it. There are some exposed sections, and hiking on snow is required (not for much of the hike, just about 20-50 yards).

Still, this is the best hike I have ever been on and has convinced me to go hiking a lot more often. Now, instead of looking for other activities to do while my family hikes, I actively look forward to hiking and go almost every weekend.

Great hike, spectacular scenery. A little snow at the top, but that's all. Be prepared for afternoon storms.