Lewis River Channel Loop

Lewis River Channel Loop is a 10.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September.

paddle sports

Directions from Grant Village Intersection: Travel approximately 5 miles south, just north of Lewis Lake on west side of the road.

Not a hard walk. Elevation incline is not huge. We walked counter clockwise which is best I think. Only wildlife spotted was 1 x Llama and chipmunks and squirrels with occasional birds. But beautiful scenery up to Shoshone Lake. Highly recommend.

Apart from the thunder, lightening, rain and hail, this is one of the most beautiful hikes I’ve been on in a long time! The last part of the hike was rainy so the trail was flooded but the views made it worth it! Got eaten alive by mosquitos so definitely would suggest bug spray! We clocked it at 11.2 miles.

Relatively easy summer hike with some gorgeous river/lake views. Not busy at all, we only ran into two other hikers. A big thank you to Nikhil's review, without which we wouldn't have brought the bug spray. Mosquitos were brutal.

Beautiful hike! Longer than what it says here. Can't get far without a Bug spray though, the mosquitoes will suck you dry!

Amazing views and great trail. Be ready for a very wet hike if you go in June. I had to wade 2+ miles through 6 inch water. It was definitely worth it but it might be better later in the summer.

hiked 6/21/18. I clocked 11.5 miles. we walked clockwise doing the 6.5 miles first. trail was flooded in places. took shoes and socks off twice on the way to the lake but was dry after that. gorgeous views the whole way. watch out for falling trees if windy. trail is obvious.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

I would recommend going out the Dogshead Trail and returning via the Lewis Channel Trail. Dogshead is pretty boring- just forest hiking. Lewis Channel has pretty views of the river and the 2 lakes.

paddle sports
Monday, October 22, 2012

I have canoed this channel several times. It's best to canoe after the water has dropped its level a bit. June can be hard paddling up stream. Mid July has been delightful. We prefer to canoe this channel because the float down stream after reaching Shoshone Lake is great fun. Be carful to cross upper Lewis Lake, with a canoe, early in the morning to avoid wind and big waves.

Tuesday, October 17, 2017