Leigh Lake Trail

Leigh Lake Trail is a 7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Moose, Wyoming that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 7.0 miles Elevation Gain: 111 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

The Leigh Lake Trail follows the east side of Leigh Lake through a beautiful wooded area. The lake is nestled into a narrow corridor between the road and Mount Woodring and Mount Moran. The trail ends at Bearpaw/Trapper Lakes to the north.

Not hike, easy walk, shade, look out to the lake. Nice for relaxing. Also good for young children.

Beautiful hike along a flat trail that offers spectacular views of the mountains. Not an overly congested trail which made the hike all the more enjoyable.

We got to the trailhead at 8am and there was no one here. we hiked 2.5 miles in and stopped at the beach, which is utterly beautiful with clear water and white sandy beaches, and saw a huge grizzly 100 meters down the shoreline. It was only there briefly, but it was so cool. we hiked the 2.5 back, and there were so many people coming up the trail. we ended at about 10:30am. Get here before 10 if you want any parking.

The views for this hike are gorgeous. But according to this app and many other things this trail is 1.8 miles, I don’t know if I missed something, but my daughter and I ended up hiking 7.5 miles.

A very peaceful and easy hike. Fantastic views and little beaches and stops along the way. A great choice for those that have limitations on hikes - this is one of the easiest paths to hike.

So grateful to find a trail that it not so busy, but still has gorgeous views. Only downside was the mosquitoes. Spray before you go.

Decided to just keep going until I encountered this trail. Was definintely worth the added distance as the lake and mountain backdrop views are breath taking. MOSQUITOS ARE EVERYWERE, bring repellent... I saw mine in my car and left it.

completed 6.4.19 Loved this hike! It is easy, like Jenny Lake, but MUCH less crowded! It was so peaceful and serene. Beautiful alpine trail with calm lake views. Not used as a horse trail so no need to dodge piles of poo. Saw a coyote on the path which was awesome!

Completed on 6/4/19. Very pretty views of the mountains past the lake, I definitely preferred this hike over Jenny Lake because of the crowds at Jenny. Lake is extremely clear and trail is very serene, saw a coyote about 2 miles in. Nice, easy hike!

nice easy hike..

Hiked this beautiful trail on May 13th. There is multiple feet of snow covering most of the trail which slowed us down even with our walking sticks and hiking boots— we only made it about halfway. BUT we thoroughly enjoyed walking along the gorgeous lakes. We passed very few people- it was serene and the mountains were striking.

It was a spectacular hike ❤️. By far my fave.

We loved this hike. Still can’t believe we were there ❤️

Beautiful trail past String Lake and Leigh Lake. You can get some nice photos of the mountains reflected in the lakes. Gorgeous, clear water. Very flat trail, so great for a recovery hike if you’ve done something challenging the prior day. Ice starting to form on the lakes. Hiked Oct 15.

Thursday, September 13, 2018

Beautiful views and easy walking.

Thursday, September 13, 2018

The views along this trail are amazing. We packed in our fly rods to fish along Leigh lake and I pulled out a huge brown trout. Easy hike, we did about 2.5 miles up and turned back. Some of the area wasn’t heavily trafficked when we went so make sure you have bear spray and sing a song out there when you hike. Some of it is quite densely wooded and while we didn’t encounter a bear we were on alert most of the hike. The lake is gorgeous. Take time to sit and enjoy the views.

Monday, September 10, 2018

Easy hike with gorgeous views and lots of little beaches to eat lunch or have a snack. Started the hike on a Monday morning at 10am and didn’t have much traffic going out but ran into a ton of people on the way back. It was great to get us warmed up for the week of hiking ahead.

Sunday, September 09, 2018

Very nice hike

Tuesday, September 04, 2018

Pretty hike through the Tetons

Monday, September 03, 2018

A leisurely trail along the lakeside with plenty of points to access the shallow lake and dip your feet in for a refreshing break. I went with my wife and 9 and 11 year old boys. Saw a bald eagle and visited with some interesting lakeside campers. Shaded and level trail.

Saturday, August 11, 2018

This was a great hike for my wife and infant who i carried. It is a very easy hike with amazing views. No real elevation change and a clear trail. We hiked on Thursday August 9th and was easily able to park in the lot at the trail head at 9am. When we left at 1pm and the lot was insanely busy with many people fighting over our spot as we left. The part of the lake near the parking lot was full of people canoeing and on paddle boards, looked like a regular party cove. The views are amazing and really peak around the camp sites. We went the full 7miles round trip and felt like we wasted the last few miles.

Thursday, August 09, 2018

I enjoyed the Leigh Lake hike. It was very easy with little elevation change, but lots of stunning views. There was also lots of wildlife along the trail. I almost walked into a black bear eating huckleberries on the side of the trail. The trail is fairly popular and heavily hiked during the hours of 10am-6pm. The farther you hike the less people there are.

Saturday, July 21, 2018

A great family hike with incredible views! Don’t let the mileage deter you - it’s an easy walk and very rewarding.

Tuesday, July 03, 2018

A very easy hike with little to no elevation gain that offers some great views of the mountains framed with Leigh Lake in the foreground. I suggest starting early -- we got to the parking lot at 9am and were able to park right at the trailhead, and encountered very few people on the trail out. Coming back there were significantly more folks on the trail at all times, and the parking lot was at capacity with people circling for spots @1pm. There are also extensive portions of the trail that go through the forest which is absolutely filled with mosquitoes. Make sure to DEET up; I also sprayed my clothing with permethrin which worked great.

Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Agree with previous review; photos cannot do this trail justice. At the early part of the trail there was a little traffic largely Dads and their young sons with backpacks returning from their overnight camping trip. Route scaled Leigh Lake almost all the way with beautiful miniature beaches to be enjoyed along the way. Also some National Park small camping sites. So definitely a trail to bring a lunch and maybe swim gear to linger a while and enjoy. Beautiful meadow VIsta shortly before Bearpaw Lake completely surrounded by the Tetons. We saw no wildlife although due to the breeze rustling through the trees there was a continuous sense of anticipation. Some lovely flowers and beautifully colored butterfly’s. On the return leg we extended the trail up Painbrush Canyon & the views are certainty true to title. Amazingly! We decentded around String Lake and returned to the trailhead via String Lake parking. All in all 16.2 km

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Beauty that photos can't capture. Significant traffic, not challenging enough for my preference. Pretty lax. Suitable for very young and the seniors I saw. Family friendly for sure. Great hike.

Friday, September 01, 2017

Great hike with an amazing view at the end! Fiancé and I moved at a brisk pace and made it to the top in slightly over an hour. Gets steep on the later half but we only had to put hands on rocks once. Any half way in shape person can do it!