Lake Solitude Trail

Lake Solitude Trail is a 16 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Alta, Wyoming that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September.

Distance: 16.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,637 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Moose: Travel North to South Jenny Lake along the Teton Park Road. Once at South Jenny Lake park either at the Jenny Lake Visitor Center or near the boat dock which offers a boat shuttle across the lake

Aug 23, Great hike. Lots of flowers in the North Fork.

Loved this hike! Its not too difficult, except that it’s long. It’s about 14 miles from the Jenny Lake boat dock, which is no joke! Also you’ve gotta go all the way because Lake Solitude is incredible and makes the whole hike worth it!! Having lunch at the lake was one of the highlights of Jackson Hole. We saw one moose and lots of chipmunks. Gotta keep your eyes peeled!

Hardest hike of my life. It ended up being 24 miles and it was amazing :) the views you cannot beat. We saw lots of wildlife as well. Super cool but hard.

Great hike. Hard to give it 5 stars because of the crowds, although they did make me feels safer in grizzly country. Saw a mama and her two cubs about a mile below the lake on my way back down. They spent about 2-3 minutes on the trail and then wandered off. I ran a lot of the trail and was solo so I was bit nervous at times with the sharp turns and switchbacks but there were enough other people on the trail on the way back down that I didnt see any other wildlife. Did about 30 min of the trail up to paintbrush divide from the lake which gives a spectacular view down to the lake and of the surrounding mountains. Definitely get up there, the grade is not as bad as it looks. Gorgeous hike, well maintained trail. Hot the whole way up. You come out of the trees and don’t get any relief. Bring sunscreen and a hat for sure. I did both and still managed to get burnt.

Magnificent hike with abundant wildlife.

Awesome hike. Plenty of wild flowers. Saw 2 cow moose and their young and a yearling mule deer. The lake was beautiful.

This was one of the hardest yet most visually stunning trails I have ever hiked. The labor to get to the lake is more than worth it. Please take plenty of sunscreen and water. Once you get to the lake it is easily 20 degrees colder than on the trail. So take something warm. Saw four moose and a white tail.

Great hike!! Saw a young moose and mama, a bear, pica, chipmunks and squirrels. The part thru the canyon has amazing views and is partially shady - the part up to the lake is exposed and has a fair number of rocky switchbacks. Enough people that hiking alone isn't an issue. The Jenny Lake Ferry will save you a couple miles

This was my all time favorite hike. It’s totally worth it. I’d recommend taking the boat shuttle across Jenny lake and starting from there, it shaved off a lot of time. The entire trail was gorgeous and the views were phenomenal. We saw 5 moose total, one with its calf and lots of bear poop along the way. The lake itself was spectacular and the water was cold but refreshing. We started our hike at 10:30am and got back at 4:30pm.

Probably the best hike in the world at this distance. Heading up the canyon have seen otters, moose, bear families regularly. Multiple waterfalls and most of the time you are walking next to a beautiful powerful stream. The last 2 miles is mostly in the sun with a lot of steps and most of the elevation. Beginning of Trail is very heavily trafficked but they most disappear a mile in at inspiration point. Lake Solitude is very peaceful and usually has snow. Great hike and a must in Jackson area

I really enjoyed this trail because it had a good variety of scenery. Ran into a bear with 3 cubs about 6 miles in. The lake at the end is very peaceful.

Seriously one of the best views. Don't stop at the fork at Cascade Canyon, really do take the time to make it to solitude lake. Beautiful wild flowers, cool lake with rocks and the best view of the valley. We're thankful we paid the $18/person for a roundtrip boat shuttle to cut off a few hours of the hike. 8/19/19

Okay this hike is one of the most beautiful ones I have ever done. The views will blow you away. We saw four moose. The lake was such a reward for a grueling last few miles. If you’re a strong hiker, you’ll be in heaven. We killed our feet on this one, it was very hard track BUT totally worth the challenge. You can’t miss it. We took the boat across to save ourselves a bit of effort.

Beautiful trail! We saw 5 mooses really close to us. Beautiful flora. It was kinda hard track for us but definitelly worth it!

This was such a beautiful trail, several waterfalls along the way. A ton of wildlife!! We seen bears pretty close to the start of the main trail by Jenny’s lake. Then further along cascade trail a bull moose, a moose with its calf and a couple other random moose along the way. The views are breathtaking and well worth the long hike. Mostly shaded but some open areas off and on. The trails are marked and well maintained ! Definitely a must see !!

Powerful

We started at 10:30 from the Jenny Lake Visitor Center parking lot. It was very crowded until we past inspiration point. There were a lot of bugs but no bites because of all the spray we packed on. Beautiful hike with waterfalls everywhere in cascade canyon. We literally saw a different waterfall every 10 minutes. We had to step away from the trail for about 5 minutes because a big moose was walking on it. Really cool hike! I would definitely do it again and start earlier to beat the crowds. 7/27/2019

I was going to just do the canyon trail. However it was pretty easy so I kept going. I’m so happy I did. Honestly it was great. Some wildlife not a lot. Definitely get there early I took the 7am boat which is a no brainer due to the price decrease. but I would even say starting earlier isn’t a horrible idea just hike around the lake. Finished around 230pm.

One of the prettiest hikes I have ever been. Well maintained trail, good signage, shaded, gorgeous views, steady incline. I couldn’t recommend this hike enough if you are going to Grand Teton NP.

It’s a long one but worth every second! 15.13 miles there and back- took us about 6.5 hours. The hike through the canyon is breathtaking and beautiful. When you finally reach lake solitude make sure to sit and relax. Some people jump into the water! I just put my feet in... it’s SO cold. The hike back felt quicker. Make sure to bring a lot of water (more than you think need), food, and a light rain coat just in case.

A great hike. The views through the valley with run off seemingly everywhere were spectacular, we quit counting 'waterfalls' after 13. Lake Solitude is just that, quiet, secluded, and peaceful; well worth the hike. Having lunch with our feet in the water and Grand Teton in the background was awesome. There were only a handful of people at the lake during our visit, but everyone was spread out and quiet. We were on the 2nd boat so we probably started the hike @8:00am and were at the lake before noon. Two moose, deer, and marmots. The trail was pretty busy on our way back down though, so start and end early.

Hiked on 7/1/2019. Trail was very crowded up to Inspiration Point, moderate for another mile or so, then very lightly traveled after. Deep snow started about a mile after the junction for North Fork. Manageable with boots only, would've been a struggle in trailrunners. Lake Solitude was completely snow-covered and a bit underwhelming, but the views in North Fork were absolutely incredible! Saw 3 moose, tons of deer and marmots, and heard reports of a black bear from other hikers.

Amazing hike. Got an early boat ride over. Starts with Hidden Falls which itself is pretty cool. Goes up to Cascade Canyon which is rather flat the whole time other than the initial incline. About 4.5 miles in you can head up to Lake Solitude which takes this trail to a whole new level. Amazing views all the way up to the Lake. Once you get there plenty of space to disperse and find a quiet location. Still quite a bit of snow by the lake itself but little up until that point. Highly highly recommend this trail if you have the energy!

This is one of my favorite hikes of all time. Cascade Canyon is already great, but that final stretch after the intersection brings it to a completely different level with spectacular views from every spot. Lake Solitude is beautiful and very quiet, as not a lot of people go there, but even before, the views are phenomenal. I took a Jenny Lake boat at around 7.45am, so started hiking at 8am. Arrived at the lake, slightly exhausted (to say the least), at 11.15am, stuck around till 12pm, and was back on the lakeshore at 2.45pm. This is an absolute must if you are anywhere close to Grand Teton NP.