6/16/18. This is an awesome trail with abundant wildlife and vistas. My wife and I started on a rainy morning using the boat to cross Jenny Lake to the trail head. The trail starts up a steady incline on a highly trafficked path through the forrest. Then transitioned to an wooded and wildflower covered valley which followed the river up to the the trail junction. We stopped along the way to remove our rain gear and take several pictures. Along the way we encountered a cow moose moose and her calf, several marmots, an elk and several species of birds. It took us an hour and a half to reach the junction where we ate lunch.

If you are into a little more hiking, I encourage you to continue on to at least the first foot bridge. The view of the mountains is spectacular, combined with the river and the wildflowers it is perfect and compares to hikes in Glacier National Park. At the second footbridge we encountered more patchy snow. As we continued up the trail the snow increased and the trail disappeared. The overall direction of the trail is obvious as you are heading up a valley with a river to one side and steep mountains to either side. However, finding the exact trail took a little work.

If you elect to continue up to Solitude Lake in the next few weeks, take caution, and your time. I suggest good boots, and poles. The snow is from several inches to several feet. Before you start download the AllTrails map and or have GPS. We had both. We found this to be helpful to stay on the trail as we found maybe a dozen tracks in the snow leading in several directions. Note, we found the markings in the trees to be sparse. Because of the snow, I would rate the final portion of this trail to be hard.

We made the lake in approximately 4 hours from the boat dock. The lake was 90% frozen. At the lake my wife and I and one other hiker we met along the final 1/4 mile, congratulated each other and shared a snack. We took a few pictures and headed back. My opinion on the lake, wait until it starts to thaw and the trail opens up. It’s was awesome but the last push was steep and very slippery with us occasionally dropping to our hip in snow.

We quickly ascended as frankly we did not want to miss the last ferry across the lake and add three miles to this 17 mile hike. While this trail is an out and back, the vistas, abundant wildlife and flowers keep this trail a 5 star in both directions. We stopped several times to take pictures and an extended time to give first aid to fallen hiker. In all the assent took another three and one half hours from the lake. We made the ferry, loosened our boots and reflected on a great day.

I highly recommend this hike as it was one of the most amazingly beautiful hikes I have taken.