Lake Solitude Trail is a 16 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Alta, Wyoming that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September.

Distance: 16.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,637 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Moose: Travel North to South Jenny Lake along the Teton Park Road. Once at South Jenny Lake park either at the Jenny Lake Visitor Center or near the boat dock which offers a boat shuttle across the lake

Last mile to Lake Solitude is snow fields and the hardest part. But not a single moment isn’t gorgeous

Did this from String Lake. About 1 1/2 miles from the lake a snow is intermittent. Last .75 or is all snow to the lake but easy to navigate and did it without spikes (even though I had them in my pack). Snowy sections are not steep and never felt the need for them. Lake is about 95% cover in in ice still. Saw one deer, one moose, one pika and one marmot. If you’re looking to go up the paintbrush pass then be warned that there is about 20-30 yards of steep snow cover from the lake to the trail. But other than that it looks doable. But I hear the other side of paintbrush is still covered in snow and sketchy.

So I’ll echo what others have said- perhaps the last quarter of the trail has snow and it can be hard to follow, as evidenced by many foot tracks going way off. There’s plenty of post-holing too, especially as the snow melts. Most people, myself included, made it through without trekking poles or spikes and endured a couple falls- but I saw plenty of those with poles fall, too. Be prepared to spend at least an hour getting up to the lake once you cross into the North Cascade. This was possibly the hardest hike I’ve done in my life, and I’ll attribute it solely to the snow! That being said, it’s 100% worth it. The lake is mostly frozen still, but thawing at some edges.

icy

We hiked this on the 19th of June. The views are amazing. If you go, I would actually suggest timing it so that you are on the top of the trail around the early afternoon. We tried to get ahead of everyone and the trail was extremely icy and not heavily traveled towards the top. in the afternoon when we were heading back down, the trail was well packed down and much easier to traverse. Spikes help too.

Fantastic hike with many rewarding views. Expect heavy traffic until you get to the fork and then it clears up.

Really scenic views going up the canyon with snow coverage shortly after the trail junction. Micro spikes were extremely helpful although the trail is packed down enough that they might not be required.

We went last Thursday 6/18/20. We hiked around the lake and then up. We didn't go to the lake, because about 1.7 miles short of it, around the 8300 feet mark, the snow was just too much. It's really not bad if you don't mind wet socks/shoes. But that's not what we wanted at the time.

June 15, 2020 - you need crampons and poles. At the very least you need poles. We did it without either and it was sketchy at the top - very slippery. Really awesome hike if you are experienced and fit.

Amazing hike! Completed this hike on 6/10/20. Lots of wildlife on the hike. Got up close and personal with 3 large moose, 3 deer, many Marmot and a few Pikas. Before the fork to Lake Solitude, the trail is well maintained and snow was sparse. After the fork, we walked on snow the entire time. Lake was frozen over. On the return, there were absolutely incredible views and we stopped several times to take photos. 8 hour hike with 7.5 hours of movement. Highly recommend hiking poles, crampons and water proof hiking footwear

Really enjoyed this hike! We completed this hike on 6/10. Roughly two thirds of the trail after the cascade canyon fork was covered in snow which made hiking fairly difficult. We brought poles and crampons and were still sliding around at some points. Lake Solitude was completely iced over and we couldn’t really tell where the lake started and the snow stopped. The views on the hike back were worth it though. There’s a perfect outlook of Teewinot Mountain about halfway back to the fork. Would definitely recommend this hike, but it’s probably best completed in late July or August after the snow has melted.

Lots of wild life on this hike. Even managed to hear and then catch a glimpse of a pika, also saw my first wild porcupine.

Lots of snow on the trail. A hiker on the trail had done the loop up Paintbrush Canyon to Cascade Canyon but said it was pretty sketchy going over the pass. We turned back prior to Solitude Lake.

Hiked this in June of 2018 while there was still a good bit of snow on the ground. A beautiful hike with amazing views of the moutains as you walk through them. Lake was still frozen over but it was a great experience. Saw a bear and a few moose alone the way.

This was my first hike of the year last year and it was super fun! Absolutely one of the prettiest hikes I’ve ever done. We did this on 7/15/19. We hopped in the lake which had a bunch of ice in it in mid July. The hike back seemed kinda long but, hey, that’s what happens when it’s the same trail down as up.

trail percorso agli inizi di settembre 2019 tempo terribile..ha piovuto/nevicato/grandinato ininterrottamente per tutta la durata del trail ...ma nonostante questo..nonostante ci fosse una visibilità di qualche metro e non più..è stato un percorso bellissimo :) purtroppo nn abbiamo visto nessun animale il percorso non ha difficoltà particolari, bisogna solo aver voglia di camminare perché il percorso è davvero lungo..sembra davvero di nn arrivare mai noi personalmente siamo partiti dal parcheggio dello string lake..costeggiando il jenny lake per qualche miglio e poi abbiamo seguito le indicazioni per solitude lake (tutto ciò per paura di non riuscire a prendere il battello al ritorno, mi sembra che l’ultima corsa in quel periodo fosse alle 17(?)..non ricordo esattamente comunque per nn avere vincoli abbiamo escluso il battello) se posso essere d’aiuto per eventuali informazioni lascio la mi mail biffi.eleonora@virgilio.it

Did it clockwise on Oct. 14th. Very snowy starting just before solitude lake and persisting over 2km past Holly lake. Given wind loading tracks are hard to follow at times and poles were a necessity. Snow shoes would have been great for the paintbrush divide after the initial descent.

Completed this trail on 10/12/19. I did it clockwise. The hike up to Lake Solitude was great especially with the sun out. Then the snow deepened quickly when I started up the paintbrush divide. It was manageable, tried my best to walk on the rocks on the edge but it took me close to 2 and half hours to get to the top of the divide with a lot of frustration in between. The views are spectacular and make you forgot your pain and misery until you realise your you have to hike down. The hike down to paintbrush valley is tricky, there are some switch backs that are barely visible through the snow about 100m or so from the sign but I choose to drop in and cut into the trail which I thought was dangerous due to the depth of the snow, but following the trail seemed more dangerous, beware of the snow ledge as well you don't know how stable it is. Discerning the trail is not easy, I ended up following someone else footprints down to Holly Lake. The snow is about 2-3ft deep down to Holly Lake and sometimes you punch though a gap in the rocks so be careful! Past Holly is fine as the trail is clear to see and reasonably firm but it is long. Snowshoes would be really helpful, do it on a sunny day and leave plenty of time, it took me about 9.5hrs. Would love to see this in the summer!

We hiked this trail yesterday, 10/8 and went to the divide and then back the same way as there was no visible trail beyond that point and very deep snow. It is an amazing hike with lots of great views! The trail had a lot of packed snow lower down and the second half had snow that was 2-3 ft deep which made for a slow and wet ascent. As we got closer to the divide the wind was gusting quite a bit with tiny ice particles stinging our faces. We were prepared with warm clothing, water proof footwear and crampons. We did the round trip in about 8.5 hours with stops for food and photos. Would love to hike again in summer.

I was in awe on this entire hike. Absolutely beautiful! We did this hike in one day. Started & ended in the dark. We took our time and took it all in. It took us just just over 14 hours (which I’m told was slow but we enjoy the hike & I take lots of pics). Highly recommend! Did this hike on September 18th. Plan for cold temps and snow. We only crossed one snow field. We left via Leigh Lake Th through Paintbrush Canyon first. We were serenaded by Elk bugles for the first couple hours. Saw a big bull moose. Make sure you turn around once in a while. The views in Paintbrush Canyon are just as spectacular as Cascade Canyon.

Done in a day this might be one of the best long hikes on the planet.

Snowy conditions becoming hazardous at paintbrush divide. Consider bringing snow safety equipment.

Absolutely beautiful trail it was hard but i would go again in a heartbeat. tons of wildflowers lined the trail and beautiful views of the Tetons

fantastic pendulous lichens about halfway in