Lake Solitude Trail is a 25.7 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Alta, Wyoming that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September.

Distance: 25.7 km Elevation Gain: 804 m Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Moose: Travel North to South Jenny Lake along the Teton Park Road. Once at South Jenny Lake park either at the Jenny Lake Visitor Center or near the boat dock which offers a boat shuttle across the lake

Lots of wild life on this hike. Even managed to hear and then catch a glimpse of a pika, also saw my first wild porcupine.

Lots of snow on the trail. A hiker on the trail had done the loop up Paintbrush Canyon to Cascade Canyon but said it was pretty sketchy going over the pass. We turned back prior to Solitude Lake.

Hiked this in June of 2018 while there was still a good bit of snow on the ground. A beautiful hike with amazing views of the moutains as you walk through them. Lake was still frozen over but it was a great experience. Saw a bear and a few moose alone the way.

This was my first hike of the year last year and it was super fun! Absolutely one of the prettiest hikes I’ve ever done. We did this on 7/15/19. We hopped in the lake which had a bunch of ice in it in mid July. The hike back seemed kinda long but, hey, that’s what happens when it’s the same trail down as up.

trail percorso agli inizi di settembre 2019 tempo terribile..ha piovuto/nevicato/grandinato ininterrottamente per tutta la durata del trail ...ma nonostante questo..nonostante ci fosse una visibilità di qualche metro e non più..è stato un percorso bellissimo :) purtroppo nn abbiamo visto nessun animale il percorso non ha difficoltà particolari, bisogna solo aver voglia di camminare perché il percorso è davvero lungo..sembra davvero di nn arrivare mai noi personalmente siamo partiti dal parcheggio dello string lake..costeggiando il jenny lake per qualche miglio e poi abbiamo seguito le indicazioni per solitude lake (tutto ciò per paura di non riuscire a prendere il battello al ritorno, mi sembra che l’ultima corsa in quel periodo fosse alle 17(?)..non ricordo esattamente comunque per nn avere vincoli abbiamo escluso il battello) se posso essere d’aiuto per eventuali informazioni lascio la mi mail biffi.eleonora@virgilio.it

Did it clockwise on Oct. 14th. Very snowy starting just before solitude lake and persisting over 2km past Holly lake. Given wind loading tracks are hard to follow at times and poles were a necessity. Snow shoes would have been great for the paintbrush divide after the initial descent.

Completed this trail on 10/12/19. I did it clockwise. The hike up to Lake Solitude was great especially with the sun out. Then the snow deepened quickly when I started up the paintbrush divide. It was manageable, tried my best to walk on the rocks on the edge but it took me close to 2 and half hours to get to the top of the divide with a lot of frustration in between. The views are spectacular and make you forgot your pain and misery until you realise your you have to hike down. The hike down to paintbrush valley is tricky, there are some switch backs that are barely visible through the snow about 100m or so from the sign but I choose to drop in and cut into the trail which I thought was dangerous due to the depth of the snow, but following the trail seemed more dangerous, beware of the snow ledge as well you don't know how stable it is. Discerning the trail is not easy, I ended up following someone else footprints down to Holly Lake. The snow is about 2-3ft deep down to Holly Lake and sometimes you punch though a gap in the rocks so be careful! Past Holly is fine as the trail is clear to see and reasonably firm but it is long. Snowshoes would be really helpful, do it on a sunny day and leave plenty of time, it took me about 9.5hrs. Would love to see this in the summer!

We hiked this trail yesterday, 10/8 and went to the divide and then back the same way as there was no visible trail beyond that point and very deep snow. It is an amazing hike with lots of great views! The trail had a lot of packed snow lower down and the second half had snow that was 2-3 ft deep which made for a slow and wet ascent. As we got closer to the divide the wind was gusting quite a bit with tiny ice particles stinging our faces. We were prepared with warm clothing, water proof footwear and crampons. We did the round trip in about 8.5 hours with stops for food and photos. Would love to hike again in summer.

I was in awe on this entire hike. Absolutely beautiful! We did this hike in one day. Started & ended in the dark. We took our time and took it all in. It took us just just over 14 hours (which I’m told was slow but we enjoy the hike & I take lots of pics). Highly recommend! Did this hike on September 18th. Plan for cold temps and snow. We only crossed one snow field. We left via Leigh Lake Th through Paintbrush Canyon first. We were serenaded by Elk bugles for the first couple hours. Saw a big bull moose. Make sure you turn around once in a while. The views in Paintbrush Canyon are just as spectacular as Cascade Canyon.

Done in a day this might be one of the best long hikes on the planet.

Snowy conditions becoming hazardous at paintbrush divide. Consider bringing snow safety equipment.

Absolutely beautiful trail it was hard but i would go again in a heartbeat. tons of wildflowers lined the trail and beautiful views of the Tetons

fantastic pendulous lichens about halfway in

What a hike! Ran into a bear along the trail so make sure you have a can or 2 of spray just in case. Lot of snow on the ground last summer for this one but the frozen lake with the white mountain backgrounds made for an amazing sight. It was such a beautiful hike on the way back down as well walking right back between the Tetons. It's almost surreal.

Went counterclockwise starting at String Lake. Took my fiancé and I about 10 hours with multiple breaks. First 6 miles are nice and easy. Once you break through the tree line, things get rough as it’s a massive elevation gain quickly. Careful on the switchbacks as there are snow banks that are on the slope. I advise using trekking poles. After Lake Solitude, the hike is simple but LONG. Views from the counterclockwise path are stunning. I suggest doing it this way if you think you can handle the incline! Also, wait until you’re acclimated to Altitude before attempting. My fiancé has been very sick ever since the hike. I accredit this to the 4,000 ft of elevation gain that happens so quickly! Enjoy!

Pack a light backpack and go fast! We did it in 9 hours, with a decent lunch break and two significant rests clockwise. The Cascade up to Solitude is fast and smooth due to the great quality of the trail. After Solitude and especially after the Divide, things get more wild. Even though you're on a trail, there's some scree on the highest part of the Paintbrush canyon. The rest of Paintbrush just has a wilder feel to it, and not as cozily maintained as Cascade. All in all, a classic hike!

Aug 23, Great hike. Lots of flowers in the North Fork.

Loved this hike! Its not too difficult, except that it’s long. It’s about 14 miles from the Jenny Lake boat dock, which is no joke! Also you’ve gotta go all the way because Lake Solitude is incredible and makes the whole hike worth it!! Having lunch at the lake was one of the highlights of Jackson Hole. We saw one moose and lots of chipmunks. Gotta keep your eyes peeled!

Hardest hike of my life. It ended up being 24 miles and it was amazing :) the views you cannot beat. We saw lots of wildlife as well. Super cool but hard.

Great hike. Hard to give it 5 stars because of the crowds, although they did make me feels safer in grizzly country. Saw a mama and her two cubs about a mile below the lake on my way back down. They spent about 2-3 minutes on the trail and then wandered off. I ran a lot of the trail and was solo so I was bit nervous at times with the sharp turns and switchbacks but there were enough other people on the trail on the way back down that I didnt see any other wildlife. Did about 30 min of the trail up to paintbrush divide from the lake which gives a spectacular view down to the lake and of the surrounding mountains. Definitely get up there, the grade is not as bad as it looks. Gorgeous hike, well maintained trail. Hot the whole way up. You come out of the trees and don’t get any relief. Bring sunscreen and a hat for sure. I did both and still managed to get burnt.

Magnificent hike with abundant wildlife.

Did this hike counterclockwise on August 27. I try to do this hike on a regular basis but very important to make sure most of the snow has melted. Best to check the Teton Climbing Pass blog for current conditions. Right before you reach the Paintbrush summit it’s extremely important to make sure you stay on the trail. This is the fourth time I’ve done this hike and got off course a bit just before the summit. Got stuck in a very dangerous situation for a while with loose rocks and unstable footing on very steep terrain. . One of the best if not the best hikes I’ve ever done. Be prepared for a very long day. Long walk out at the end (over six miles) to get back to String Lake parking area.

Last completed this hike: 8/27/19. A challenging hike that will test your cardio and muscular endurance. Highly recommend going the Paintbrush to Cascade rout. This way offers the most rewarding views as you summit and descend. The hike offers stunning views of the Grand from a perspective most people don’t get to see. After summiting and making your way over the crest and down the other side into the canyon, putting the major elevation behind you, you’ll find Lake Solitude which will be a most rewarding lunch. I think breaking for lunch at Lake Solitude AFTER completing the summit is the way to go. Bringing crampons (yak tracks) is something I highly suggest anytime of the season- very possible you’ll need/want a pair well into August. FYI: Grizzlies and cubs were spotted 2 of 2 times doing this hike. Get ready for amazing and rewarding hike!!

Awesome hike. Plenty of wild flowers. Saw 2 cow moose and their young and a yearling mule deer. The lake was beautiful.