Lake Solitude and Misty Moon Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(8)
Bighorn National Forest

Lake Solitude and Misty Moon Loop is a 16.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hyattville, Wyoming that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 16.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,749 feet Route Type: Loop

Sun Sep 02 2018

Absolutely beautiful hike and definitely worth the 18-ish mile effort. However, the trail can be tough to find in several locations and I don’t know that I could have finished the loop without AllTrails map and GPS. There are numerous other trails in the area which mostly seemed like footpaths so hikers could avoid those on horseback. I took several but wouldn’t have been brave enough to explore without GPS as a back up. I can see what others are saying about the condition of the trail. It was dry when I went but a little bit of rain would have made it a muddy mess. Definitely recommend doing this as a clockwise loop. I ran into some folks coming up while I was going down from Misty Moon Lake and they all looked miserable—it was uphill almost the entire way to Misty Moon.

Tue Aug 21 2018

We only hiked to Lake Solitude and back. while the Setting of the lake is beautiful, the trail to get there is nasty. Horse packers use this trail mostly and it shows. the trail gets destroyed by the horses and there is horse crap everywhere. never give this trail after it has rained, you'll be knee deep in horse shit.

Wed Aug 08 2018

We did this loop as a day hike (very doable if you get going early, move at a good pace etc). It took us a little over 8 hours.....a quick lunch stop, a few photo stops and a stop to purify water. For the most part, the All Trails map was great and got us from start to finish. However, the trail gets sketchy in spots and the topo map would have been really helpful so I could have seen where we should be in relation to lakes, creeks etc (and saved us some time). Be prepared for the climb as you leave lake solitude and hike down into misty moon. Beautiful scenery!!

Tue Sep 11 2018