Sunday, July 20, 2014

I've done this hike a few times with Boy Scouts. From highway 16 take county road 446 toward Camp Buffalo Bill. After crossing the big bridge take a right at the fork (#448). The trailhead is about 1/4 mile up this road, but there isn't very good parking. I recommend parking at the Boy Scout camp. There is good parking just outside the camp gate. This will add about 3/4 of a mile to your hike.

Whenever I've hiked this trail, we started at camp Buffalo Bill and went up about 3-6 miles. Just below the meadows there is s nice Kirk spot to camp. Once you get to the meadows the mosquitoes will get pretty bad. You can follow the trail all the way to Flora Lake, but we never made it that far. Instead we climbed to the top of Howell Mountain, 10,000ft. The view at the top is spectacular. You can see points like Eagle's Nest, Fortress Mountain, and there glacier basin at the headwaters of Fishhawk creek. This app says that the two is easy, but the first 3-6 miles climb a a thousand feet or more. Be sure to bring bear spray.