Jenny Lake Trail

Jenny Lake Trail is a 7.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Moose, Wyoming that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing and is best used from June until October.

Distance: 7.7 miles Elevation Gain: 728 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

Please note that during winter months this trail may be closed temporarily. Also there may be closures due to construction around the lake. Please check with the Grand Teton National Park before visiting.

decent hike. pretty crowded but not overrun. recommend going clockwise (left) from visitors center if in mixed group that way those who don't want to complete second half (after hidden falls + inspiration point) can take ferry back across. second half past inspiration point will take you well north of the lake to cross the water before hitting the other side of the lake (have to go toward string lake parking lot adds an extra mile even without doing the string lake loop). overall fun hike our group enjoyed.

I did this hike a week ago on September 1st 2019 and started at 8am. It took us about 4.5 hours. We stopped a lot to view wildlife and the amazing views. I enjoyed it very much and I would recommend it as your first hike at the Tetons. We started at the Jenny Lake Visitor Center and went counterclockwise towards Hidden Falls. (You can take a boat shuttle if you are trying to do more hikes afterwards.) Before getting to Hidden Falls we saw two female moose hanging out at the Moose Pond loop.At Hidden Falls we saw a mama bear with two cubs drinking water. We continued towards Inspiration Point and followed Cascade Canyon then String Lake to connect back with the Jenny Lake Trail. We saw a mama mule deer with three does. There was plenty of wildlife on this hike.

This was easily the most beautiful hike I’ve ever done. The water was amazing, the views of the Tetons were amazing... we didn’t see any bears as other reviews mentioned. We did see some moose at Moose Pond— definitely take the time to veer off the loop trail to the pond (maybe 1 mile).

nice trail.. did counter clockwise around 10:30 and took 3 hours to complete the loop. If you are interested in wildlife, I would recommend to arrive around sunrise. Will be back again, probably early in the morning to enjoy the wildlife as well.

Great hike around the full trail. Start at the ranger station and hike counter clockwise to get the tougher part done early, In the two years that I have used All Trails it has always worked great, until today. Hike was just over 8 miles with a couple detours. An absolutely breathtaking hike.

Beautiful trail around the lake! There is a lot of people on this trail it seems ,but it’s well worth it.

Beautiful trail! For those of us wanting to save $ this is the way to go. From the entrance, we took a left on Jenny Lake. We took a minor detour to Moose Pond where we saw 2 moose! The trail around the lake provides stunning views of Jenny Lake, ample shade, and some smalls climbs throughout. The hike to Hidden Falls, Inspiration Point, and Cascade Canyon are classic, with breathtaking views. This is a fantastic first hike for first time visitors to the park.

Fun 7-8 mile hike. Takes anywhere from 3-4 hours. Both sides of the lake are very different so I recommend doing the entire loop. However, for those who don’t feel like completing the task you can take a ferry back the the start about halfway through.

Be honest, I could totally understand why a lot of ppl like this trail but for me, not really. Cuz the design of this trail is a little bit wired and really rocky. It goes up and down no matter you get in or out, which make you tired without taking their boat shuttle. I began from Jenny lake to cascade trail then go back to Jenny Lake. This is the worst trail design I have ever seen. Two stars for the lake, zero for the trail.

This is a beautiful hike with gorgeous views! We started at the trail head and went clockwise. After reading the reviews, we wanted to get the harder part done first. On the way we did see a momma bear and 2 cubs, thankfully at a good distance away. We detoured to Hidden Falls and also up to Inspiration Point. We then continued on down the Cascade Canyon Trail and took a unmarked and less-maintained trail back to the Jenny Lake Loop. After making it past the String Lake Outlet, the hike back around was easy, with little elevation. With the added detours the total trek was 9 miles.

Great views, a must to get to falls. Did this via boat shuttle over to trail then counter clockwise down. Came across a mama bear (she crossed the trail 10ft from us) and her two cubs.

The trail was a bonus since we seen beautiful sceneries but seeing the elk in the water which was Amazing. later we drove a trial in which we cam across momma bear and her 3 cubs now that was cool to watch!! Great things like videos did us well! Cya on the dirt road!

Great hike, did the loop plus the falls and the inspiration point in about 4 hours. Very busy the closer you get to the falls. Moose sighting was a plus, and the east side of the loop got closed at midday due to bear activity...that was cool too!

This was a really good trail to do, it was not as crowded as i expected we got there for 9:30. I went with my parents (both in their late 50s). Great hike with amazing views. I seriously recommend you to hike counterclockwise from the ferry. There were amazing views instantly and there wasn’t much of an incline compared to the left side.

Hindsight being the gift that it is, this trail was too much for me. I took the advice from a few reviews and started at the Visitors Center and went to the right, which made for a lovely morning of hiking alone. However, this left most of the elevation gain in the last few miles of the hike when I was most exhausted and out of water. Poor planning on my part! The scenery was excellent and I would easily recommend this hike to others that are more athletic than I.

We took a group of 27 on the trail 3 days ago. Ages ranged from 13 to 55. We followed the advice of previous reviews and went counter clockwise. The views of the Tetons were amazing. It was an excellent hike, well maintained and shaded for the first half. A group of ours took the boat back which was much needed. Another group went to hidden falls (a must see) and inspiration point and then took the boat and another group continued around the lake and ended up seeing a moose at moose pond. It was very crowded toward the end of the day with people going to see hidden falls so go early and less people appeared to travel counter clockwise because it is longer - but well worth it.

Awesome hike. Lots of shade and some sun. Not too hilly.

Good hike aside from the boat people. They were not too bad though once you get away from the falls. Wild flowers were everywhere and we saw an osprey nest with babies. A few places to dip in the lake to cool off.

We hiked around Jenny Lake clockwise starting at the Jenny Lake museum and store. It’s relatively flat until you reach the opposite side and start trekking uphill towards Hidden Falls and then Inspiration Point (if you choose to detour there, which I recommend doing). Both are crowded but it doesn’t keep you from getting to experience the beautiful views across the lake into the plains. We then continued past the boat dock, where everyone else hopped onto the shuttle to go back to the starting point - but we kept walking, following the signs for String Lake. This took us along a more remote shoreline, with beautiful wild flowers and interesting trees. There are also some creeks and we heard there were a few bears along that route too earlier in the week. When you reach the end of the lake near String Lake, we just veered right at every fork in the trail (it’s hard to get lost when you’re going directly around a lake.) The views on the last shore edge of the lake were spectacular of the Grand Teton. A great hike but be prepared for a long one - it was about 9.5 miles all the way around + Inspiration Point and Hidden Falls.

We hiked to inspiration point via Jenny Lake trail and part of the Cascade Canyon. Back by boat shuttle. We saw a bear on the trail and a moose in the distance.

We started before 9am clockwise around lake a few weeks ago and ended up turning around due to a momma bear and her cubs right off the trail. Be aware, carry spray, and make the right choice for yourself! Beautiful hike, wish we could have gotten to the other half.

My husband and I did this with our 19 yr old son and 17 yr old daughter. There were many out with little children and even kids in flip flops but I imagine they made it a shorter hike. We did not do the ferry and did the entire loop. Instead of going to the Canyon after Inspiration Point we took the Horse Trail to bring us back around to the lake. We would not have found the trail on our own but someone said to “take a sharp right at the river” and sure enough we saw an unmarked trail. This part was very very quite. Glad there were 4 of us so we could make some noise and be Bear Aware. We were definitely dressed for hiking with hiking boots, sunscreen, granola bars and water pouches in our backpacks. We made the 8.5 mi hike in 5 hrs and just before my knee decided it was done. This was an excellent hike with beautiful views.

Very nice hike. Very busy until the falls and then almost no one for the rest of the trail. The world arrives and leaves with the boat that commutes. Do not forget the bear spray and water, start the ride before 9:00 if possible. The hike is quite tiring because long and climbing in some places.

Beautiful! Just beautiful. We took the advice from previous reviews and got there before 9. So smart, when we left there were more cars along the roads and entrance than I thought possible! We also took advice from others and went to the right (counterclockwise) once you get to the head of the lake from the visitor center. So happy we did that. It was much more flat/downhill with small bursts of uphill vs. majority uphill. We stopped at the hidden falls and went up to the inspiration point. All said and done got 9 miles in. Easy hiking with breathtaking views. Crowded around the hidden falls and inspiration point but other than that not too shabby. Definitely a must if you’re there!

Well worn, easy path. We went clockwise so that we could do the harder part first and then went to hidden falls. We completed the entire loop in 4 hours with a 10 and 11 year old. We stopped at boat dock to refill our water bottles and eat lunch. Quite a few people out there hiking but still did see a black bear on the trail. He went on his way down to the water.

Wonderful hike around the lake. Some areas have little shade. Went to Hidden Falls and relaxed on the rocks there. My GPS kept glitching and did not record most of the return trip (I also paused the recording to take pictures and forgot to resume a handful of times).

Beautiful hike around the lake. Not too busy in May, but may still need snowshoes. Some sections closed, so pay attention to signage. Saw moose, marmots, and a black bear. Sometimes this hike shows as easy, othertimes, moderate. It's definitely more in the moderate range with the elevation loss and gain