Jackson Peak Trail is a 10.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Jackson, Wyoming that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length10.3 miElevation gain2,641 ftRoute typeOut & back
Dogs on leashHikingForestViewsWildflowers
Description
Waypoints (5)

Users have reported that the road leading to the trailhead might require a 4x4 or high clearance vehicle. Depending on vehicle and weather, you might be able to park farther down the road and walk to the trailhead.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (56)
Photos (117)
Recordings (50)
Completed (122)
Ryan Noonan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 4, 2020
Hiking

Easy, unless you’re dragging a 95lb brat with you the whole way (girlfriend)

View Ryan's Recording
Theo Kralovic
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 22, 2020
Hiking

great hike. great views. bring water.

View Theo's Recording
Kevin Watt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 26, 2020
Hiking

Great hike, road is rough as other have said. But the view is worth it

View Kevin's Recording
Pet Fish
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 9, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful trail and spectacular 360 degree views. The last bit of dirt road up to the trail head can get pretty gnarly in some places so I’d say if you don’t have four wheel drive or some good clearance, don’t try it. My biggest gripe was with some people and their dogs. If you’ve got a dog and it’s aggressive to other dogs in any way or maybe you’re not super comfortable hiking with your dog, please just keep it on a leash. I had my dog on a leash in the final push towards the summit and a lady’s poodle bit him out of nowhere. I had to kick her dog off him and she didn’t even apologize. I asked her to please put it on a leash and not half an hour later I saw it off leash growling at another hikers dog. Again at the summit I had another guys dog run up to mine and started growling and baring teeth. All he did was yell from across the peak “it’s ok”. Listen, just because you’ve grown accustomed to your dogs bad behavior, doesn’t mean the rest of us have to be ok with it. It’s extremely disrespectful and a bad situation waiting to happen. To take my mind off it I had a nice turkey wrap I made in the morning. I put some beets and arugula with mayo and hot sauce to boot. It was one of the best hiking wraps I’ve had to date, I swear. Those Annie whole wheat tortillas are no joke! They held in all the deliciousness no problem. Honestly would be a five star hike and wrap if it weren’t for the bad dog owners.

Todd Foley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 16, 2020
View Todd's Recording
J Z
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 4, 2020
HikingSnow

Quite a bit of snow after you get past the lake. We were not able to summit due to high snow. Beautiful flowers!

Savannah Tobey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 16, 2020

hiked it 6/15/20 trail 2.5-3mi in is clear and beautiful. starting around mile 3 there was still a lot of snow... so much so that the normal route to Goodwin lake was gone due to snow coverage. post-holed our way up to the peak anyways. lake is still frozen. maybe give it a couple weeks before going if you want dry feet would rate it as moderate. also the bugs are waking up...

Stephanie Selin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 24, 2019
Hiking

So the road to the trail head was mad rough, we made it in our rental (Kia rio sedan) but my husband it’s an experienced driver. The hike it’s self is AMAZING. Not too hard, except we decided to rock climb up from the lake, haha. The real trail is not very hard, can be tiring though. At the fork where the sign is & a creek go left for the actual trail.

Daniel Norris
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 13, 2019
Hiking

just a little snow on the top section of trail. absolutely beautiful. we bought our to dogs to the summit today. highly recommend it!

DoctorofaCertainSize .
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 5, 2019
Hiking

My husband, two large dogs and I hiked this Sept 4. It is an awesome trail. Moderate hike until the last mile, the last mile to the summit is steeply graded and difficult. We stopped at the lake for a swim break- the water was amazing, treat yourself to an alpine lake swim! Not crowded at all, we passed a party of horse packers, and a few groups on their way down from the summit (we summited at 2:30). After that we saw only 2 people on the trail the rest of the ascent and the entire descent. No wildlife or bear signs. Well maintained trail. Great for dogs, all the way up to the summit. The views were incredible!!!!! Absolutely do this hike with your dogs if you are in Jackson Hole, it is so worth it! (If you are hesitating on if you can do it, give it a try! We are overweight flatlander and with persistence and taking breaks, we had no issues with this hike at all. Very manageable. Bring lots of water!) Road needs a 4wd to get all the way to trailhead, we did it in our Lexus RX350, and it was manageable without issue (as long as you know what you are doing!)

Tim Brooks
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 29, 2019
Hiking

My wife and I along with our pug Chapo love this hike. The hike goes by the Goodwin lake which is a great place to stop have a quick bite to eat as you push to the top. The trail conditions are awesome, and the views in my opinion or second to none! I would highly advise anybody in good condition to do this hike.

Victoria Solarte
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 5, 2019
HikingBugs

Super fun hike just to the lake with our dog. Saw about 4 other groups, 3 with dogs. Will definitely do it again it’s beautiful!

View Victoria's Recording
Torie Anne
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 31, 2019
Hiking

My husband and I completed this hike July 29. It was a recommendation by a local and it didn’t disappoint! We were able to drive our 4x4 truck right to the trailhead. The road is definitely rough leading to it, so plan accordingly. We were surprised how the elevation gain started immediately but moderated a couple miles in. The climb didn’t really begin again until after Goodwin Lake. We lost the trail near Goodwin Lake. When you get to the little stream, stay left and cross the stream to stay on the trail. We ended up staying right and climbed through the boulder field and up and out of the canyon. We enjoyed the challenge! The views at the top were beyond! We didn’t see another soul until we were coming down. Not sure if it’s usually so lightly traveled or if it was because of the weather! Worth every second.

Amy C
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 30, 2019
View Amy's Recording
Alyx Belisle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 27, 2019
Hiking

We didn't make it all the way to the peak but the lake was very nice. The wildflowers were beautiful. The first mile was a quick elevation but after that the hike was pretty moderate. we parked about a mile from the trailhead because the road for that last stretch is pretty washed out.

View Alyx's Recording
Lisa Wan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 31, 2018

Trail is great, uphill for the first half at least, but beautiful enough to distract you. The lake is beautiful as is the rest of the hike up towards the peak. I did not make it to the peak but my friends did. (The altitude slows me down, and my friends are much fitter than I am) The road requires a four wheel drive with high clearance and you need to NOT care that the sides of your car will get scratched up. As a result of how far out this trail head it, it is never crowded. You’ll see other people but most of the time you’ll have solitude. Another positive, dogs allowed and they can swim in Goodwin Lake.

Kirstin Biery
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 4, 2018
Hiking

made it to the trail split and then some bad looking weather scared us. this trail is beautiful, especially all the flowers in the beginning. WARNING: getting to the trailhead is a bit difficult without 4 wheel drive or high clearance vehicle. We parked about 1 mile away and walked up the road. Hopefully will do this trail again later and make it to the top.

Samantha C
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 2, 2018
Hiking

Hiked this June 30, 2018–beautiful wildflowers but still a decent amount of snow to get to the summit. Still doable but it slowed us down! Definitely a favorite hike.

M Annitto
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 30, 2018

Great hike but I just want to update about the road getting there---it is in rough shape as of May 2018. A lot of the info online about the road is outdated. Forest service even has a sign at one point after you pass Curtis Campground with a warning, even with 4WD.. I ended up parking and hiking on part of the road quite a way to get to the trailhead only because I was there so I could bring the dog.... Great hike if you get there but the road is currently an issue.

Denise Andrews
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 3, 2017
Hiking

Can only get to this trailhead with a 4 wheel vehicle the road is carved up by runiff. Got to trailhead early enough (8:45) am that we did not see anyone else until the last bit of the return trip. Beginning is steep through fields and some forest, then mostly moderate forest trails. Could only get to granite lake because of snow. Roundtrip was about 6.2 miles.

Dylan Williams
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 13, 2017
First to Review

The hike to Goodwin lake is really beautiful and not so hard. The beginning is a little steep, but then it levels out until you get to Goodwin lake. About 3 miles to the lake. Continue around the left side of the lake, then head on the path that goes to open fields. It will get really steep there, and you will go around the south side of the mountain and head up. You will pass onto the alpine level, so no more trees. When you reach the top, the views are scenic. Sheep mountain can be seen and so can the Tetons. A super good hike, would 100% recommend this for someone looking to Summit a nice mountain!

Jeremy Barnum
Gray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 28, 2020
View Jeremy's Recording
AllTrails User
Gray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 25, 2020
Jack Herrick
View Jack's Recording
AllTrails User
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 21, 2020
Morgan Pratt
Gray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 10, 2020
View Morgan's Recording
Mike Kaeske
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 6, 2020
View Mike's Recording
Thomas Caruso
View Thomas's Recording
Andy Richardson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 4, 2020
View Andy's Recording
Margot Craig
Gray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 23, 2020
View Margot's Recording