Hermitage Point Trail Loop

Hermitage Point Trail Loop is a 10.1 mile loop trail located near Moran, Wyoming that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options.

Grand Teton National Park P.O. Drawer 170 Moose, WY 83012-0170 Information (307) 739-3300 More information: http://www.nps.gov/grte/contacts.htm

This was likely our least favorite hike from our Tetons trip. The length doesn't bother me if there is pay off, but unfortunately it just wasn't there. The first 2-3 miles of the hike around the ponds and lakes on the peninsula are nice (we saw deer, beavers, falcons, storks), but after that it's mile after mile of wooded hiking with not many views of the Tetons or the water. The "point" didn't have too many places to settle in and enjoy, and with all the motor boats speeding around it didn't seem all that serene or earned. This trial also had hoards of mosquitoes as compared to the rest of the park (in late July, early morning).

Did the entire loop with lunch at the point. Saw only a few hikers on the trail today. Trail offers some wide area's were horses share the trail. ( only saw them on the way back). Grizzly with two cubs were reported the day before in the first section but we saw nothing the entire hike. The trail has several ways to hike it and offers some great views of the Tetons.

For the most part the trail I would have rated as easy. It is wide and somewhat flat with an easy grade elevation. It does get moderate in some area's and the trail becomes narrow.

Wild flowers are just starting to pop and there are some great area's to get some color in. Some of the trails has area's under restoration. Trail had been cleared recently by the park service. All in all I will add this to my favorite list.

We walked the Hermitage Point Trail early June starting on the western side via Herron Pond, Hermitage Point then back east to Swan Lake and Colter Bay. Took about 4.5 hours including lunch at a slow pace. Highlights were Herron Pond with beaver? dam, water lillies, eagle, geese, ducks, herron, a woodpecker and the views at Hermitage Point. The 2.2 mile section between Herron Pond to Hermitage Point was pretty dull through pine forest but the eastern side from Hermitage Point to Swan Lake was a bit more varied with ups and downs and glimpses of creeks, meadows, and mountains. Sadly the track diverted away from Swan Lake fairly quickly back into pine with glimpses through to the lake - just enough to hint at all the amazing birds and beavers you're missing.

It is about a 8-10 mile loop that allows for amazing mountain views and lots of animal sightings. Saw lots of bear tracks and scat. Saw a moose and definitely scared something else up.

great lake & mtn views with slight elevation changes..long hike & a bit mundane at times..well worth the blister!!

Going to the right when you start the trail is incredible. If I did it over I wouldn't do the loop, I would go back the same way I came in, once I got to the point. The views are much better.

Monday, May 23, 2016

Friday, September 11, 2015

Nice long easy hike. A little mundane in the beginning but beautiful at Hermitage Point.

Friday, September 11, 2015

Nice long easy hike

Friday, January 24, 2014

Easy and flat, but long. Beautiful scenery. Our eight-year-old hiked this with no problems, and our four-year-old was comfortable in the kid carrier on Daddy's back. Moose sightings are possible.