Grand Prismatic Hot Spring

Grand Prismatic Hot Spring is a 1.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming that features hot springs and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 1.6 miles Elevation Gain: 200 feet Route Type: Out & Back

hot springs

Short walk and crowded but I loved the view from above.

We always seem to hit this when it's rainy and steamy instead of clear. Still beautiful. Easy walk for my kids 10, 8, 5, 3.

Very worth it!

Busy, but beautiful

This was very easy and give you a look at some other geysers. Definitely worth checking out!

Very easy trail, nice view. I’d recommend to go when it’s hot because I went at 7am (mid August) to avoid the crowd but as the air is cold and there are so much steam from the pool that you can’t see anything. I stood there till 10am when the air is warmer and there were less steam and you could see some colours. So Steam vs. Crowd -your choice.

If you want to see the Grand Prismatic from a higher elevation, then take this hike. It is not too difficult. Kid friendly. A cool view for pictures of The Grand Prismatic. It does get crowded. I recommend doing it either early morning or in the evening after 4 or 5 pm. I did not go all the way to the waterfall.

This is not the right trail for getting to the prism. This is actually almost a five mile round trip to get there.

Very crowded like the rest of yellowstone, but much better view than on the board walk below.

Amazing view from the outlook.

overcrowded but worth the view

Amazing, above-view of Grand Prismatic. There really is no other way to see the full extent of the colors and the pool as a whole, except from above (on the boardwalk, you’re too close for the full, magnificent picture). The trail is hot, over-crowded, and juuuuuust steep enough to make you sweat and wish you brought more water, but it’s definitely worth it for the view. I recommend bringing water and not wearing flip flops. You’ll need to be patient at the overlook to get your good photos.

Loved this trail! It was easy except for the slight incline, but the view at the top was SO worth it!!

The trail is hot and crowded, but certainly worth it for the view of the spring. I don't know how else to get a true experience of the spring, since you can't see the colors and size from the boardwalk below. I would rate this as one of the must-see attractions at the park if you plan to stick close to the road.

A great view of the spring and its colors.

This can hardly be called a hike. You basically walk for 10-15 minutes with hundreds/thousands of other people around you (extremely overcrowded) and then it goes up a bit for 5 minutes. The view "at the top" is quite nice, but I honestly wish I simply wouldn't have done it.

The hike to the Grand Prismatic Spring overlook is low impact and accessible for most age and fitness demographics. We did it in flip-flops. You will likely not find peace and serenity on this trail, nor will you be challenged. This is a highly trafficked trail leading to a wonderful top-down view of the Grand Prismatic Spring. It was quite crowded when we were there. It will probably be crowded when you're there too. It's crowded for a reason though, as the Spring is a sight to behold from above.

Dig the hell out of this. You won’t regret it

We did this back in May and the boardwalk was a bit icy Spring was steaming so hard to get get look

Trail leads you through beautiful hot springs, all while under a wide open sky.

I would say this is more of a stroll than a hike, but regardless beautiful view of the entire spring. Pretty flat and wide trail the whole way with a couple small switchbacks up to the view point at the top. Very crowded, no water, no outhouse.

It’s hard to call this a trail, but we enjoyed getting to see the beautiful Grand Prismatic Spring from a better vantage point. Very, very easy and short hike. We arrived early and got great parking, but later in the day we saw cars had to park along the road. The viewpoint at the top is crowded, but it was worth it overall in our opinion.

The only reason to still give 2 stars is because of the pretty view in the end. The trail itself is not really exiting and way to overcrowded

Beautiful view of the water

Trail itself is not a big deal, but the view of the spring from above is WAY better than the more trafficked boardwalk. The spring is INCREDIBLE. A wonder of nature. Instagram pics @marcomoore

Mid June - Great out and back trail with an awesome Overlook of the Grand Prismatic itself! The trail was open when we went and quite heavily traveled so be prepared to share the trail up and back as well as the overlook! Great for the family but may be difficult for anyone with mobility issues as there are some narrow places and it can get cramped in places. Well worth it!

Hiked about 2 pm on a cloudy day. Crowded. We were lucky to find a parking spot. The colors were muted and not near as bright as I was expecting. I’m sure if it was sunny it would’ve been much better. Liked Morning Glory better and much less crowded. A couple we met the day before had hiked here and saw a grizzly near the power line.

Quite easy. Some elevation gain at the end of the trail. Watch out for bison scats on the trail.

Nice trail to beautiful geysers, 4 star because of tourists.