Canyon Rim North Trail to Inspiration Point

Canyon Rim North Trail to Inspiration Point is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 7.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,148 feet Route Type: Out & Back

hot springs

partially paved

Note: As of May 2019, North Rim Trail is closed at Inspiration Point and the Brink of Upper Falls is closed for construction. These closures are through the summer of 2019.

While the first part of the trail is closed, you can hike it from the first parking are on the north rim. We just hiked from the easternmost parking area to Inspiration Pt and back. There were very few hikers and really nice views!

The trail is closed :(

Very beautiful.... really peaceful.... lots of great views!

Brink of the upper falls and parts near inspiration point are closed too. Trail is beautiful outside of that.

Only did about 3 miles of the trail due to construction closures

Thursday, September 27, 2018

Great trail with great views the whole way! Was surprised by a grizzly on the trail about 15 yrds from us as we turned a corner about halfway from the inspiration point trailhead. Ended up driving to inspirational point.

Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Nothing beats the Canyon area in Yellowstone. This hike won't disappoint and is a great trek through the backcountry, rated as moderately trafficked but I rarely see more than a handful of groups when I get started before 8am. Did see a Grizz once on this trail so make plenty of noise!

Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Is quite crowded for most of it but the views are excellent.

Thursday, September 13, 2018

good

Friday, September 07, 2018

Great hike. The views were amazing. Started at Lower Falls, hiked to Inspiration Point and then back to Grand View and Overlook.

Thursday, September 06, 2018

Can’t wait to go back! When I was there, my husband and I hiked a portion of it with our 6th month old which was interesting. It was steep and chilly so we ended up turning around but the views were INSANE! Super pretty place, I don’t think Americans realize how lucky they are to have a country so beautiful as ours! The GC at YST is amazing and everyone should see it! Next time I intend to take my older kids there to hike the entire park!

Friday, August 17, 2018

My friends and I did this hike last Sunday (8/12) and were somewhat disappointed with the closures on the trail. Also, the entirety of this hike runs alongside North Rim Drive, which really takes away from the majesty of hiking in the wilderness. We started this trek around 3 pm and arrived back at our car around 5 pm. Instead of starting at the Upper Falls, like the trail map suggests, we actually began at the Brink of the Lower Falls Trail. This ended up being the highlight of our day, as the views looking back into The Grand Canyon of Yellowstone were absolutely breathtaking! After making the trek back up to the road, we continued onward to Lookout Point and Grand View. We would have liked to reach Inspiration Point but were met with a closure sign upon arriving at the trailhead, which really put a damper on the day. We did end up driving along the South Rim Drive to Artist Point, which was a pleasant consolation, even though Inspiration Point provided a higher vantage point and an entire view of the canyon, which we missed out on. If you’re looking to escape the masses on the road, this is not the trail for you.

Saturday, July 14, 2018

Almost gave the trail 4 stars due to all the closures that interrupted our hike because there were no signs warning us of them til we got to the closure— but the views were so breathtaking it’s still worth 5 stars to me. This trail was the highlight of my entire Yellowstone trip, 10/10 would do again.

Monday, July 09, 2018

We walked from the back of canyon village, south on the trail east of sunbeam and walked along the rim and down to red rock point. It was a great walk and the right amount for our 9 and 7 year old. We saw a sleeping bison in canyon village car park on the way and then a bull elk in the lodge car park in the way back. The views of the waterfall and the canyon were fabulous.

Friday, June 08, 2018

Trail was closed 1 mile in. Looks like it would have been a great hike.

Sunday, May 13, 2018

Hiked in July 2016. Incredible, inspiring views from multiple lookouts along the trail. A bit strenuous in hot weather due to elevation gain, but exhilarating and not to be missed.

Sunday, March 18, 2018

Great views of the Yellowstone Canyon on this. While there is the trail that can be walked in its entirety, there are also parking spots at various places so you can make this work however you please in terms of whether you want to hike it or just stop at the designated viewpoints. I went as the sun was setting and it was incredibly beautiful.

Monday, December 18, 2017

I didn’t hike the trail —we only went to the touristy section where you can see Inspiration point and the canyon. It was amazing. So beautiful. Probably one of the prettiest places in Yellowstone. Grateful our Hiking group took the time to see this even though was w little crowded. Go early for fewer crowds.

Monday, October 09, 2017

Beautiful trail with amazing views. Hiked parts of it in July 2017. You can get right next to the head of Yellowstone falls and/or take some great photos at a distance as well. Not for small children.

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Four stars because of the awesome scenery! Trail was closed in 2 places, so was unable to hike the entire thing. Pretty easy hike with lots of people.

Thursday, August 31, 2017

many portions of the trail are closed for repairs boooo

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Very short and easy. If you take the one-way drive you can stop at multiple points along the canyon rim and have amazing views at each one. I would recommend going down one of the trails that actually descends into the canyon some because that is where the best views are.

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

Unreal views of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone!

Tuesday, August 01, 2017

AllTrails should really flag that portions of this trail are closed for rehabilitation