Canyon Rim North Trail to Inspiration Point [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(161)
Yellowstone National Park

Canyon Rim North Trail to Inspiration Point is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 7.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,148 feet Route Type: Out & Back

hot springs

partially paved

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information. Note: As of May 2019, North Rim Trail is closed at Inspiration Point and the Brink of Upper Falls is closed for construction. These closures are through the summer of 2019.

icy

Great trail, walked from the parking lot. Had a variety of sceneries. Snow, rocks, cool trails, trees, bridges, live animals, and water falls. First time hiking this trail. Worth the hike to the top. Great view of the lake. Was about 7 miles but easy. Even saw a moose on the way back.

I’ve been coming back here for the past 4yrs and it never gets old! Super easy walk

While the first part of the trail is closed, you can hike it from the first parking are on the north rim. We just hiked from the easternmost parking area to Inspiration Pt and back. There were very few hikers and really nice views!

The trail is closed :(

Wed May 29 2019

Brink of the upper falls and parts near inspiration point are closed too. Trail is beautiful outside of that.

Sun May 26 2019

Sat Feb 23 2019

Only did about 3 miles of the trail due to construction closures

Thu Sep 27 2018

Great trail with great views the whole way! Was surprised by a grizzly on the trail about 15 yrds from us as we turned a corner about halfway from the inspiration point trailhead. Ended up driving to inspirational point.

Tue Sep 25 2018

Nothing beats the Canyon area in Yellowstone. This hike won't disappoint and is a great trek through the backcountry, rated as moderately trafficked but I rarely see more than a handful of groups when I get started before 8am. Did see a Grizz once on this trail so make plenty of noise!

Tue Sep 18 2018

Is quite crowded for most of it but the views are excellent.

Thu Sep 13 2018

good

Mon Sep 10 2018

It was great! Although that might be over doing a little, might be worth just doing key lookout

Fri Sep 07 2018

Great hike. The views were amazing. Started at Lower Falls, hiked to Inspiration Point and then back to Grand View and Overlook.

Thu Sep 06 2018

Can’t wait to go back! When I was there, my husband and I hiked a portion of it with our 6th month old which was interesting. It was steep and chilly so we ended up turning around but the views were INSANE! Super pretty place, I don’t think Americans realize how lucky they are to have a country so beautiful as ours! The GC at YST is amazing and everyone should see it! Next time I intend to take my older kids there to hike the entire park!

Fri Aug 17 2018

My friends and I did this hike last Sunday (8/12) and were somewhat disappointed with the closures on the trail. Also, the entirety of this hike runs alongside North Rim Drive, which really takes away from the majesty of hiking in the wilderness. We started this trek around 3 pm and arrived back at our car around 5 pm. Instead of starting at the Upper Falls, like the trail map suggests, we actually began at the Brink of the Lower Falls Trail. This ended up being the highlight of our day, as the views looking back into The Grand Canyon of Yellowstone were absolutely breathtaking! After making the trek back up to the road, we continued onward to Lookout Point and Grand View. We would have liked to reach Inspiration Point but were met with a closure sign upon arriving at the trailhead, which really put a damper on the day. We did end up driving along the South Rim Drive to Artist Point, which was a pleasant consolation, even though Inspiration Point provided a higher vantage point and an entire view of the canyon, which we missed out on. If you’re looking to escape the masses on the road, this is not the trail for you.

Sat Jul 14 2018

Almost gave the trail 4 stars due to all the closures that interrupted our hike because there were no signs warning us of them til we got to the closure— but the views were so breathtaking it’s still worth 5 stars to me. This trail was the highlight of my entire Yellowstone trip, 10/10 would do again.

Mon Jul 09 2018

We walked from the back of canyon village, south on the trail east of sunbeam and walked along the rim and down to red rock point. It was a great walk and the right amount for our 9 and 7 year old. We saw a sleeping bison in canyon village car park on the way and then a bull elk in the lodge car park in the way back. The views of the waterfall and the canyon were fabulous.

Fri Jun 08 2018

Trail was closed 1 mile in. Looks like it would have been a great hike.

Sun May 13 2018

Hiked in July 2016. Incredible, inspiring views from multiple lookouts along the trail. A bit strenuous in hot weather due to elevation gain, but exhilarating and not to be missed.

Sun Mar 18 2018

Great views of the Yellowstone Canyon on this. While there is the trail that can be walked in its entirety, there are also parking spots at various places so you can make this work however you please in terms of whether you want to hike it or just stop at the designated viewpoints. I went as the sun was setting and it was incredibly beautiful.

Mon Dec 18 2017

I didn’t hike the trail —we only went to the touristy section where you can see Inspiration point and the canyon. It was amazing. So beautiful. Probably one of the prettiest places in Yellowstone. Grateful our Hiking group took the time to see this even though was w little crowded. Go early for fewer crowds.