Glacier Trail is a 43.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Dubois, Wyoming that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length43.6 miElevation gain8,330 ftRoute typeOut & back
dog friendlyBackpackingHikingNature tripsBird watchingForestRiverViewsWildflowersWildlifeSnow
Waypoints (0)
Contact
Getting There

Wyoming Business Council Tourism Office, Frank Norris Jr. Travel Center, I-25 & College Drive , Cheyenne, WY, 82002-0660, Phone: 307-777-7777, Fax: 307-777-6472

Directions from Dubois: Travel 4 miles south on Highway 26-287 to Whiskey Basin - Trail Lake Road. Continue west on this road for 2.5 miles to Trail Lake -Whiskey Basin Junction. Turn left and follow the south trending road and the Trail Lake ranch signs to the cable across the road, and parking area at mile 11.1. Hikers must proceed on past the cable on the road another .9 mile to the forest boundary and New Glacier trailhead

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (11)
Photos (22)
Recordings (4)
Completed (19)
Becca Stolz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 7, 2020
BackpackingBugsSnow

A wonderful trail overall! The longer you travel on it the better it gets! There are plenty of places to stop and rest that provide amazing views! Saw a ton of wildlife. There’s also great bird watching closer to Gannett Peak! Watch out for bears! Never needed to use spray but definitely saw signs of them around. The trial as I remember had quite a few switchbacks but overall the elevation wasn’t too much for me to handle. There were a few times however I had to stop and let my feet dry after water crossings, nothing above my waist and that was early July. Prepare for misquotes, used my net all the time. Did get a snowstorm on the 4th of July so be prepared for any conditions as well as conditions to change fast. Only saw a handful of others out on the trail. 10/10 recommend! I can’t wait to get back out again!

Brian English
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 14, 2019
Hiking

Not a “hard” trail. Moderate would be a better description. Make sure you check out Bomber Basin and Bomber Falls! Waterfalls and petroglyphs!

Donna Vetter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 29, 2018
Hiking

Not so hard as AllTrails rates it. You only go as far as you want. I did about 5 miles today. It was beautiful and peaceful. Very low traffic on trail. Cool to explore the petroglyphs near TH — don’t miss them. It’s kind of like an Easter Egg hunt looking for them.

Zachary Batche
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 12, 2018
HikingGreat!Snow

When I think of backpacking and adventure this is the trail I think of. You start in a small humble valley, rise up into a beautiful basin or field. and end surround by huge snowy spires and peaks. Ending this trail you have Gannet Peak(highest peak in WY) to your right, Dinwoody Peak, Mt. Dublet, and Mt. Warren to your left and the prominent spine of Mt. Woodrow Wilson right in front of you. Other than a beautiful river, Zen meadows, tons of wildflowers and wildlife, and awe inspiring peaks, this trail gives you access to a years worth of climbing in 1 cirque. This trail will always be one of my favorite trails and I will be coming back here years to come.

Steve Soper
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 4, 2018
Backpacking

I have taken this trail many times. Will be going again this year. My grandson is going for the first time. Great scenery. Great camping. Great fishing. Love the Wind Rivers!

Adventure Jo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 7, 2017

We forked off and tried to make it to Louis lake, but it was getting dark. Gorgeous hike, awesome water falls, but never made it to the lake. We started heading back a little to close to dusk and came across the path of an angry moose or bear. We didn't stick around to see what we pissed off!

Nathan Robbins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 1, 2013
Camping
First to Review

Glacier Trail was my first backcountry camping and mountaineering experience. This past August 2012 I traveled with six other students and two instructors from the Central Wyoming College to make a summit attempt on Gannett Peak. We began at the Whisky Mountain Trailhead near Dubois, Wyo. and hiked straight through ending in Pinedale, Wyo. It was an amazing 11 days in the backcountry. We did successfully reach the summit of Gannett and spent a few days in the cirque. It was a hard push on the way out because we only had permission to camp 10 miles beyond the Cirque. We had to climb Bonney Pass and Knapsack Col before reaching our target campsite. It was a great adventure.

Kris Ciask
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 3, 2020
View Kris's Recording
Matt Murphy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 2, 2020
View Matt's Recording
Robert Morales
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 29, 2019
Lucas Necessary
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 28, 2018
Backpacking