Learn more

Garnet Canyon Trail to Cleft Falls

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(113)
Grand Teton National Park

Garnet Canyon Trail to Cleft Falls is a 7.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Jackson, Wyoming that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September.

Distance: 7.7 miles Elevation Gain: 2,260 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Directions from Moose: Travel north on the Teton Park Road to the Lupine Meadows Trailhead.

icy

This was an extremely difficult climb where death is a consequence of a misstep at some points. I climbed this on July 4, 2020 with trail head temperature at 80+ degrees F. I highly recommend bringing crampons , ice axe, heavy winter coat, gloves, pants, and rope.

got past the boulder fields and went to the waterfall... beautiful! #2 trail GTNP IMO. #1 being Delta

Trail ended because I wasn’t going to risk it on that steep incline. Beautiful view thou!

I'd say the majority of this hike was on the marginal side of challenging. As long as you're ready for the incline and the altitude it won't overwhelm you. However, we didn't complete the trail and instead stopped about 3/4 of a mile short, because we didn't feel comfortable crossing some of the snow without better shoes or crampons. We saw 2 black bears on separate occasions. Lots of marmots too. The views were pretty awesome; we could see pretty far from so high up.

Terrific hike. A few snow fields towards the top but they were manageable with care.

great trail big mountain and a great way to climb the grand teton

This hike is awesome - I had time for a quick morning hike but didn’t want to battle the crowds of some of the more trafficked trails and this did not disappoint! Caveat: I recommend getting an early start if you want to place to yourself, it was definitely getting busier on my way down. Also I’d recommend two water bottles if you can - the elevation gain is no joke (I’d say I’m pretty in shape but was coming from basically sea level so needed all the water). Lastly, hiking shoes/ankle support is a must as the trail turns to straight rocks at the top and it’s pretty easy to twist an ankle if not paying attention.

Wonderful hike. Great views. Loved hearing water for most of the walk. We did not see any bears although others did. Would do again!

Amazing. We brought our 10 and 13 year old boys. They made it to just above the caves to get above 10,000 feet. 11 miles round trip. Epic.

Fantastic trail. The views the entire way were incredible!

A beautiful, challenging hike with great views all the way up. The trial ends as Garnet Canyon narrows to a point and from there it’s a perilous boulder climb (with no discernible trail) up to the Middle Teton saddle. But that part is a legit, equipment necessary climb, not a hike. I started at 7am and was done by 11am with time at the top to climb a few boulders, rest and enjoy the view. Met only a few hikers on the way up, but on the way down the path was jam packed.

Awesome trail with great views. Definitely a little challenging but not too crazy. Reccomend for sure.

A great trail with a little bit of everything for someone that wants a challenge. Great views from all throughout of Grand Teton Natl Park, a few waterfalls throughout that make for great stops. We reached the top in just over 2 hours, but continued past the marked end to reach the Saddle, where there are great views of Middle Teton. The trail is still a little obscured toward the top by snow, and connecting this trail to get to the Saddle required a fairly strenuous boulder climb, but it was well worth it. We stumbled into a yearling Grizzly on the climb down, this is definitely a trail to bring your bear spray on.

Thu Jun 27 2019

Great scenic rewards as you ascend. Trail gets progressively more difficult as you ascend

Thu Jun 20 2019

Beautiful! Towards the end there’s still snow on the ground but doable! Trail starts in the forest and as you climb higher you start to have beautiful views! Weather was windy and cold in mid June so dress in layers! This trail has everything, waterfalls, views, mountains, snow, forest...

Thu May 30 2019

Hiked this trail today. Upper trail still covered in snow and slick. I had to stop about 1/4 mile from cleft falls. Got a great view of Middle Teton though.

Thu Nov 01 2018

Beautiful. May take longer than you think to complete the hike. Route-finding can be difficult in the boulder section and may not be appropriate for children, older folks, or disabled. A stunning annual run for us with access to the Middle/Grand saddle.

Thu Oct 04 2018

We managed to do this trail in 4 hours between rain showers. The canyon is wonderful and great fall colors. No sign of bears but it is prime territory’s I tale precautions

Thu Sep 27 2018

First real big hike in Tetons. So worth the hike. Definitely gotta go again. Challenging hike and rock scrambling.

Tue Sep 18 2018

Fantastic trail, with breathtaking vistas, trail challenging enough to be exciting. Love it

Mon Sep 10 2018

It's nice, I've done with along with amphitheater and delta lake. But if you feel that's too much, skip this part and only do the lakes!!! They are much nicer

Mon Aug 13 2018

The hike starts a little slow but afer 2-3 miles in really opens up! I recommend climbing past the boulders and continuing up the snow. You will not be disappointed with this one

Wed Jul 25 2018

Hiked with my beautiful wife on July 13, 2018. The view gets progressively better and better as you go. There are some places to fill up with ice cold water along the way, and make sure you plan for some time to sit among the large rocks at the top. Challenge: see if you can keep a bare foot in the water for 15 seconds - I did.

Mon Aug 28 2017

This is a wonderful hike, with the elevation change you need to catch sweeping views of Teton Valley, Taggart, and Bradley lakes. As you climb higher the switch backs are pretty tiring, but the effort is worth it as you enter Garnet Canyon and the peaks rise around you. Climbing over the boulder field is fun, but if you're not looking to extend your trek, picnic at the little creek and enjoy the view! It took me, my mom, and sister about 6 hours with a lengthy lunch break, and we got an amazing, if small, glimpse into what the Tetons have to offer.