Garnet Canyon Trail to Cleft Falls

Garnet Canyon Trail to Cleft Falls is a 7.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Jackson, Wyoming that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September.

rock climbing

Directions from Moose: Travel north on the Teton Park Road to the Lupine Meadows Trailhead.

This is a wonderful hike, with the elevation change you need to catch sweeping views of Teton Valley, Taggart, and Bradley lakes. As you climb higher the switch backs are pretty tiring, but the effort is worth it as you enter Garnet Canyon and the peaks rise around you. Climbing over the boulder field is fun, but if you're not looking to extend your trek, picnic at the little creek and enjoy the view! It took me, my mom, and sister about 6 hours with a lengthy lunch break, and we got an amazing, if small, glimpse into what the Tetons have to offer.

Great hike!

My husband did a summit climb of Grand Teton three years ago, and since we were back in the area, he wanted to show me some of the trail he took for that climb. We actually went a little further than the waterfall, across the boulders and into what he called the Meadows. The weather was cloudy and cool; we got rained on a time or two. I made it just fine on the trail, but the boulder climb was challenging for me (as a clumsy person). We also encountered two bears near the beginning of the trail, a young grizzly and a black bear, who were too intent on eating blueberries to pay any attention to us. We chose to slip around them, both because all the other people on the trail were doing it and because we had bear spray. Great way to spend a day, and I'm happy my husband got to reminisce about his summit experience.

It was about 8.5 miles to the waterfall and back. There's snow on the trail from there on up, but without gear, that's where we stopped. Tons of people we're going further though; way more experienced people!

Not hard, but very beautiful

Sunday, May 21, 2017

We just hiked this beautiful trail on Thursday May 18th. after a few days of snow we were skeptical about how far we could make it up the trail but ended up getting about a mile from the end of the trail before we turned back. the snowy switchbacks were a bit sketchy and we kept slipping. we didnt have yak tracks or poles otherwise we may have made it further. absolutely gorgeous views and a great peaceful hike in the Tetons!

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Great hike. Nice steady elevation gain and great views along the way. My wife was still slated from hiking the day prior and almost had us turn around at the canyon junction. Glad we didn't because the views in the canyon are worth every step you take. Especially in late October with snow capping the mountains. Find the trailhead at Lupine Meadows.

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

Spectacular views. Wowed. Overwhelmed. Grateful. Absolutely worth the effort!

Thursday, July 07, 2016

One of my favorite hikes ever! (And I have hiked all through the Hawaiian islands) The entire hike is amazing. Highly recommended!!!!

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Great trail, well marked. Camped 2 nights at Lupine Meadows and climbed the Middle and South Tetons. Absolutely beautiful.

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Hiked this beautiful trail and camped at Lupin Meadows and climbed the Middle Teton the next day. Amazing views from the top of the Middle Teton.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Beautiful hike, challenging but worth it. The trail is used to access the Grand, Middle and South Tetons so it gets heavily used. The views are absolutely incredible.

Thursday, May 17, 2012

This is a great hike that has spectacular views of the Grand Teton near Jackson Hole, WY. We hiked this trail last July with a group of my 13 year old daughter and some of her friends. It is moderately steep and near the top we encountered a lot of snow left over from the previous hard winter. There is a crystal clear stream at the top of the hike and we had a filter so we were able to get everyone fresh water and enjoyed a sack lunch before heading back down. We saw deer, moose and 3 black bears on the hike.

recorded Teton training walk.

Tuesday, May 09, 2017