Fairy Falls

Fairy Falls is a 4.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near West Yellowstone, Wyoming that features a waterfall. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips.

hot springs

This was a cool hike but easy.. once we passed the overlook to Primastic Springs the crowd definitely thinned out. Once you get to Fairy Falls I would seriously consider continuing on to Imperial Gyser. There was nobody back there so it felt like it was our own private gyser.... it also goes off like every 30 seconds. If you do the whole thing you get to see prismatic, the waterfall and a gyser.

Definitely go past the falls to imperial geyser! Totally worth it!

The falls were quite beautiful. The hike was easy and had lots of other hikers.

We did this trail at the beginning of September 2017. It takes you past midway geyser basin and then you walk on a pretty boring (and flat and easy) path surrounded by pines for quite a while. However, eventually you get to fairy falls which are pretty. If this was the only thing you saw I probably wouldn't have loved this trail as the path to it was so boring. However, you can continue on to the imperial geyser. This is what makes the trail so worth it. There is this beautiful geyser in this amazingly blue pools. My husband and I had this site all to ourselves for a while. It was so amazing and relaxing. If you go on this trail and turn around after fairy falls you're truly missing out on an amazing experience.

Nice trail!!! The fall is incredible. Beware no bathrooms at trail head, but plenty of privacy spots on the trail. Saw a buffalo grazing along the way.

Fairy Falls is a beautifil trail you have to pass the sign that goes to the grand prismatic over look 90% of the people will stop there. I hiked this trail with my girlfriend planning to propose at the top of the waterfall. When we got to the top there was only 5 people. I proposed to her she said Yes! This will now be forever a place we cherish together. Truly remarkable. Thanks All trails for letting me plan my proposal trip and making this an easy hike to access.

The normal trail just re-opened mid-July. You can now take a side trail to the new Grand Prismatic Spring overlook which was great! The Fairy Falls trail is a really good trail and a super easy hike. Lots of down timber from fires years ago and lots of newer growth trees. Saw lots of wildflowers and it was green and beautiful. The waterfall is amazing!

This review has to be taken in the context of 2017. The normal trail is closed this year, so you have to take the service road from fountain flats and connect to the normal trail. This makes Fairy Falls a 9 mile out and back hike. The AllTrails map at time of writing corresponds to this route. However, because of that added distance, there was nobody there. Because this is a relatively short easy hike, I imagine it is completely overrun with people in a normal season. But with the added mileage, it was empty. We had the Falls to ourselves for an hour. With the spring runoff, they were fantastic. This waterfall is hard to photograph because it's so tall. I tried to have my wife stand at the base as a size reference, and you can't see her in the photograph. The rock coloration and erosion pattern isn't like anything I've ever seen. It was spectacular.

As far as difficulty, the hike was almost perfectly flat. The service road (fountain freight road, I think? On the NPS website under the Falls) runs through a couple large valleys. It's really flat and really exposed, but the scenery is incredible. There were slot of Bison close to the road, and I never felt closer to the park than when I was on that road. The length is the only challenge. There were a lot of mosquitoes in the last mile, so bug spray.

Pros - Spectacular Waterfall, Valley scenery and wildlife, No crowds, can be shortened significantly with a bike
Cons- Long, flat, exposed

Hiked 1st week of June 2017, entirely clear of snow