Dunraven Pass to Mt. Washburn Trail

Dunraven Pass to Mt. Washburn Trail is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September.

rock climbing

historic site

A wonderful climb in Yellowstone with views of neighboring mountains and the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. This is a fairly easy hike up a beautiful mountain in Yellowstone with terrific views all the way to the Tetons from the historic firetower on top. Keep an eye out for mountain goats and other animals.

We do this one each time we come nearby and each time it is different. Today it was still very snowy and you had to traverse some fairly deep snow packs on the trail (8-10 ft). But the view from the top was amazing as usual. Be prepared for strong winds as you get higher. The last 100 yards are the worst.

This trail is full of great views!! We didn’t quite make it to the top. It’s currently about 40% full snow cover which becomes difficult when it got slushy later in the afternoon. A couple people we were hiking with were wearing tennis shoes otherwise we would have braved the top of the snow ridge. That with the high winds was enough for us to call it at the end of the last switchback where there is a fantastic view.

Great sight and if right on time gets you to peak in a fair amount of time

Easy hike. Great, wide trail. Nice views. Budget time for at the top; you will want to put the lookout center at the top to good use.

Awesome hike with amazing views. My favorite hike of Yellowstone. Wildlife is abundant as well!

This was our favorite hike in Yellowstone. Uphill on the way up and downhill on the way back. Not hard though, it’s moderate. It is only a bit of of a challenge if you’re not experienced with high altitude hiking (I have lived in Florida my whole life) but you can take small breaks to catch your breath and take some pictures! The views start out great and get even better as you start hiking up. It was so windy at the top that our hats almost flew off but the view from the top was amazing. Going up into the viewing room and signing the log book with our names was such a cool experience. I would do this hike all the time if I could! Highly recommended.

Great hike

Enjoyed this hike. I wouldn't call it hard. Trail is very wide and you pretty much have a gradual ascent to the top with a few areas where it levels off. The view would have been much better had there not been so much smoke in the air from all the fires in Montana and Idaho, but it was still pretty cool. We saw a black bear on the hike which was really cool.

It's an easy to moderate hike with great view. Absolutely amazing weather.

Hiked this in early August with my family, including two kids (ages 10 and 12). We all have hiking experience, but are not regular hikers and the trail was completely manageable. I'd agree with some other reviewers this is more like a moderate trail. When the ground still has snow, I can imagine it is difficult. Very peaceful, not super trafficked but some people along it. Pretty and the view at the top is great - would have been even better without the smoke from MT wildfires. We only saw chipmunks and a marmot, but still fun. Air a little thin towards top. We met another family on the trail and enjoyed walking up with them! As others said, gets chilly and windy at top.

Great hike, no crowds. I would say that the trail is moderate not hard. Saw lots of bighorn sheep and some pikas.

It's a Yellowstone classic that everyone enjoys. You almost always hike up until you reach the top but if you take your time it is not that difficult. Great views, wildlife (marmots and goats), and enjoyable trail.

Beautiful!

Best views we have had so far. Restrooms and little hut area to get out of the wind and cold. Highly recommend.

While this trail had great views it is pretty much a wide dirt road winding up to the outlook on top of the mountain. It is not a hard hike by any means and there were plenty of children making it to the top with no problems. In addition to the views we also saw some female and baby bighorn sheep!

Stunning view all along the hike up to the ranger lookout station. Wildflowers abound and longhorn sheep can be seen along the trail near the top. Pesky chipmunks are always there ready to lighten your load by a few scraps. Once you reach the top, you'll have a panoramic view of the whole park. IMO, this trail should be rated 'moderate' not 'hard'.

Amazing view at the top

I don't understand why this hike is rated hard....I hiked the Warm Creek trail two days ago and it was 50 times more difficult. This hike was pretty fun though, and I saw a lot of Big Horn sheep. There were some areas of the trail that were covered in snow and were kind of slick but not that bad. The parking lot was completely full by 10am when I finished the hike. Also, the trail is fairly wide and has lots of loose gravel. The top of the mountain has a fire lookout tower that you can go inside or go out onto the deck. There were a lot of people on the trail and it was difficult to find a place to use the bathroom without someone walking by.

Beautiful panoramic views and wildflowers. Some goats, marmots, deer. Worth the hike. We did it with 3 kids, one in a backpack carrier.

Great, tough hike! When I went several days ago (Late june) there was snow on the trail looking down over steep drops that made for some slippery and scary moments, but turned out ok. I'd recommend shoes with real traction like hiking boots as opposed to sneakers. The view at the top is pretty cool, and it was a great workout.

Loved this hike. Beautiful 360 views of the greatest National Park the US has to offer.

Quite a bit of snow still, but it's worth it!

Great hike but still lots of snow pack as you go up this time of year. Chilly with the wind as you get near the top.

Relatively easy trail with great 360 degree overlook from the top. Snow still lies here and there in June.

Great hike!! Snow fields throughout to add to the challenge. Great views. Coyote crossed right in front of us and saw mountain goats at top. Steady but not too difficult path. Took 2-1/2 hours up and 1-1/2 down. Can do lunch while enjoying views at top outside or inside fire tower. Don't miss this one.

Gorgeous hike with 360 degree views at the top of the Tetons and other mountain ranges. About half of the trail was covered in snow in late June; however, the trail was well trafficked and a trail was obvious over the snow drifts. Chittenden Road is easier, but Dunraven is well worth the trek.

This was a fun hike with our teenagers. A fairly steady uphill climb with tons of snow still on the ground. Hiking poles are highly recommended to help keep your balance on the snowy parts of the trail, especially when coming down. Gorgeous views at the top. It was very windy at the top so bring a jacket and hold onto your hats. We saw a lone coyote near the beginning of the trail, a group of sheep near the top and on the way down we were told there was a young black bear blocking the trail, but we didn't see him, unfortunately.

Best mountain view in Yellowstone, you see the lake, canyon and all of surrounding mountains, even the Grand Teton. I *loved* the mix of colors, white snow, green grass (from melting snow), yellow canyon, blue sky, different blue lake and the volcano rock adding some black. And the vastness. It was like compressed Alaska, wow.

I've spent the previous day backpacking in Black Canyon of Yellowstone, and even if I hiked up the ridge, those great views were dwarfed by Mt Washburn.

And they even have a "visitor center" describing what you see, it's history and most importantly, it provides a shelter from the strong winds.

I've disliked the path itself: as it's designed for cars and gains elevation just so slow. On the way back, I've cut it down through the snow (essentially skied down, both main switchbacks and the first big switchback). So it was like 2h up, and 0:40h down.

Conditions early-June:
Most of trail covered with lot of snow, but well tracked with footsteps. Some mud at the beginning.
Strong winds on the top.

Friday, June 16, 2017

Great hike. There was some snow patches when we hiked it on June 15th that were a little slick, but we made it to the top. You get really good views the entire way up and the incline that you're hiking at is really not too bad.

Monday, June 12, 2017

Only made it half way up in early June due to snow. Would love to go back and reach the top!