Dunraven Pass to Mount Washburn [CLOSED]

Dunraven Pass to Mount Washburn [CLOSED] is a 6.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from May until October.

closed

As of October 2018, users have reported that all trails up to Mount Washburn are closed due to construction. Please contact Yellowstone National Park before attempting this hike. A wonderful climb in Yellowstone with views of neighboring mountains and the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone.

Trail closed for bear activity. 9/26/18

Amazing!! Would do it again in a heartbeat. Did it in the morning in July, still pretty chilly with some snow near the top. The views along the way and at the top are incredible, but extremely windy at the top. Still a great hike

Great hike in Yellowstone!

Did this trail in July 2017. Long stretches of packed snow near the top and hiked through a small snow storm. Very scenic, great overviews into the park and tremendous views from the top. Also, saw mountain goats grazing on cliff to east of lookout.

Started this hike at 8am this morning. Made it to the observation tower by 9:30am. The trail was almost entirely in the shade during this time of day—a bit chilly, but not uncomfortable. Only three small snow patches remained that touched the trail—enough for some fun pictures, but not enough to impede the trail. Steady climb and a wide trail—enough for a small car to drive on. The wildflowers were abundant, particularly toward the bottom of the trail.

We saw marmots, a dusky grouse, and some goats off in the distance. Views are breathtaking throughout. We spent about an hour at the top enjoying the views. It only took us an hour to walk back down. Parking was easy at 8am, and only saw about 3-4other families on the way up. The trail was busier when we descended. Many families and folks of all ages making the trek. Parking was full by the time we left (around 11:30am).

A few asides: trail could definitely be rated “moderate” when there is no snow impeding (as is now). Also, there is a bathroom at the top in the observation tower.

Hiked this trail2 years ago. Wonderful views from the top. Be sure to bring a jacket however, as it can be cold with the wind.

Hiked this in a near blizzard mid-June 2018. The trail had just opened, so there was still considerable snow on the trail, particularly near the summit. The fresh snow throughout the hike added a few more inches. The views were largely obstructed by the snowy conditions, but the trail was in great shape and presented one hell of a challenge and experience. Would love to do it again in better conditions with views of the park.

This routes much better then the easier, less strenuous/less challenging Chittenden road. We hiked up last week. Saw a Mountain goat and Fox. Great 360 central view of park at top. Definitely a must do hike.

Beautiful views of Yellowstone at the top. We saw mountain goats and marmots. I would rate this as moderate though (although I could see it being harder if there were more snow). It was also extremely windy at the top.

I did this hike on July 1st and there was still snow crossings at 3 points on the trail. Two are in points where it's slippery but not much risk of sliding anywhere, and one is a steep slope where I'd recommend taking the higher path others have packed down, rather than trying to walk along the edge. The snow is deep but packed down, so you should be fine without snowshoes. This makes it slippery but manageable. Poles would help, but I didn't have any and was fine. Just take careful steps.

This is rated as hard, but I think it's more moderate. With the snow it's on the difficult side of moderate. The trail is uphill the whole way, but it's never particularly steep. The trail is wide and the footing is generally stable. There are lots of rocks and tripping hazards, but never anywhere where you risk sliding down. The way down is nice and fast.

It gets extremely windy at the top, to the point where I was blown to the side. Take your time and bring layers! I stopped for lunch inside the fire tower. The views at the top are completely worth the uphill, and you can enjoy the views more on the way down. I saw a small herd of goats near the top, and a marmot.

Went yesterday, and there was still a lot of snow but plenty of families still reached the top.

Beautiful trail. Very muddy at the start. My 9.11.13 yr olds did this trails but they are used to trails like this. A lot of snow at the top- you have to hike on the snow since it covers the trail about 8-10 ft deep- some parts very intimidating. We made it to the observation fire tower and was awesome. I am not sure if I would do this trail if it was pouring rain with all the snow.

Amazing views, saw chipmunks, and several foxes during hike. Mid June and much packed snow covered most of the path of upper trail making hiking very difficult in places, adding a nice thrill. Great hike!

We do this one each time we come nearby and each time it is different. Today it was still very snowy and you had to traverse some fairly deep snow packs on the trail (8-10 ft). But the view from the top was amazing as usual. Be prepared for strong winds as you get higher. The last 100 yards are the worst.

This trail is full of great views!! We didn’t quite make it to the top. It’s currently about 40% full snow cover which becomes difficult when it got slushy later in the afternoon. A couple people we were hiking with were wearing tennis shoes otherwise we would have braved the top of the snow ridge. That with the high winds was enough for us to call it at the end of the last switchback where there is a fantastic view.

Awesome views!!

I've hiked this every time my family comes up to YNP! The wildlife, flowers and sights are the best part of it all. We usually start at the parking lot just off the main figure 8 loop road. You can continue up the road and start on Dunraven Pass at a higher elevation. (Last time hiked was in August 2014, planning on going back up August 2018.)

Great sight and if right on time gets you to peak in a fair amount of time

Sunday, October 22, 2017

Easy hike. Great, wide trail. Nice views. Budget time for at the top; you will want to put the lookout center at the top to good use.

Saturday, September 30, 2017

Awesome hike with amazing views. My favorite hike of Yellowstone. Wildlife is abundant as well!

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

This was our favorite hike in Yellowstone. Uphill on the way up and downhill on the way back. Not hard though, it’s moderate. It is only a bit of of a challenge if you’re not experienced with high altitude hiking (I have lived in Florida my whole life) but you can take small breaks to catch your breath and take some pictures! The views start out great and get even better as you start hiking up. It was so windy at the top that our hats almost flew off but the view from the top was amazing. Going up into the viewing room and signing the log book with our names was such a cool experience. I would do this hike all the time if I could! Highly recommended.

Saturday, September 23, 2017

It’s not an easy hike when there is a lot of snow but definitely worth the incredible views of the park!

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Great hike

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Enjoyed this hike. I wouldn't call it hard. Trail is very wide and you pretty much have a gradual ascent to the top with a few areas where it levels off. The view would have been much better had there not been so much smoke in the air from all the fires in Montana and Idaho, but it was still pretty cool. We saw a black bear on the hike which was really cool.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

It's an easy to moderate hike with great view. Absolutely amazing weather.

Friday, August 18, 2017

Hiked this in early August with my family, including two kids (ages 10 and 12). We all have hiking experience, but are not regular hikers and the trail was completely manageable. I'd agree with some other reviewers this is more like a moderate trail. When the ground still has snow, I can imagine it is difficult. Very peaceful, not super trafficked but some people along it. Pretty and the view at the top is great - would have been even better without the smoke from MT wildfires. We only saw chipmunks and a marmot, but still fun. Air a little thin towards top. We met another family on the trail and enjoyed walking up with them! As others said, gets chilly and windy at top.

Monday, August 14, 2017

Great hike, no crowds. I would say that the trail is moderate not hard. Saw lots of bighorn sheep and some pikas.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

It's a Yellowstone classic that everyone enjoys. You almost always hike up until you reach the top but if you take your time it is not that difficult. Great views, wildlife (marmots and goats), and enjoyable trail.

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Beautiful!

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Started at Dunraven Pass up to Mt Washburn to the Seven Mile Hole Trail and ended up at our room at the Canyon Lodge. Estimated the hike at 13.4 miles. Saw signs of bears on Trail but never saw one. We seemed to be following it. Only met 2 hikers Mt Washburn Spur and 2 more on the Seven Mile Hole. Mt Wasburn Hot Springs is worth the trip. Awesome.