Delta Lake Trail is a 9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Beaver Creek, Wyoming that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October.

PLEASE NOTE: The trail to Delta Lake is an unofficial, non-maintained trail. There are several boulder fields to navigate, fallen trees, and steep, loose dirt. This trail is not maintained by the park.

Hiked this trail with my girlfriend on Sept 7th. I am 64 yrs young, but live at sea level (St. Pete,FL)
the first 3-4 miles not so bad, but once you leave the maintained trail it gets much tougher.
That combined with the lack of oxygen made me consider quitting several times. Luckily for me,
my girlfriend is younger and in better hiking shape, so I toughed it out. It was the best pay-off to a hike
that I have ever experienced. The view was spectacular. The sun on the lake and the reflection of the sky made it seem that you were in a painting. As with many places we have been, none of the pictures, as beautiful as they are, can quite hold up to being there. It was very hard to leave.

did the hike 4th of july weekend. amazing hike!! worth the switchbacks and boulder field scramble. the view at the top was amazing. the lake was so cool! take plenty of water! we all depleted our water on the way up and refilled with our filters at the lake. we arrived early but not early enough and had to park further out. about 10 miles up and back to the car. we did see a mom and cub on our way up. they wandered off into the field away from us so definitely bring bear spray, never know!

phenomenal hike with great views. This hike leans towards the more difficult side. It took us around 5 and a half hours for the entire trip.
Plan on taking a lot of water or at least water filters to restock on water at the lake itself.

Very icy conditions with considerable snowfall covering the large boulders. Mentally and physically challenging! Make it to the top and you’ll be greeted with a spectacular view.

Incredible payoff at the end. Easily one of my top 3 hikes ever.

Traveled on 10/12/18. Trails were pretty moderate until the boulder fields. Boulders were covered with several inches of snow which made it even more challenging. Cairns were extremely helpful in guiding. We were the first to travel this morning, so we actually followed a wolf’s footprints all the way to the top. Views were incredible, would love to try again when the lake is not frozen.

One of the best hikes i've ever done, extremely tough but SO worth the effort!

Our group did this hike on 10-5-18 right after an early snowfall. The first half of the trail was easy going, but as we approached the first large tree fall and entered the boulder fields, the ground became very muddy. While it was a little slow going through the boulders, the most difficult part was climbing the muddy trail at the end toward the lake. I highly recommend yak tracks and trekking poles to navigate this section if hiking in similar conditions. I’m not sure I’d attempt this hike with any more snowfall unless footwear is designed for the ice, mud, and/or snow. With that said, the lake was absolutely glorious and breathtaking. It was worth every step up and back to see it. It’s cold at the top, so bring layers to allow an enjoyable stay.

Took 2 hours to the lake edge, about the same going down. Hardest part was navigating the rock / boulder fields, but, after reading several other more detailed posts from AllTrails, it was not bad. The rock piles left by other hikers was most helpful!

Hike was tough, especially the steep bolder field to get to the lake. The view of the lake/tetons was worth it but definitely difficult.

Great hike. 11/10. Took us about 2 hours to make it up, generally fast paced hikers, little to no breaks.
Not hard to find at all. The trail is pretty well marked and worn down. All you need is a general sense of direction and some common sense.
Follow the maps provided by AllTrails and your golden.
Parker Rangers/ workers at the information desk were a pain in the butt. We asked them where the trail head (parking areas) was to get to delta lake and they absolutely refused to tell us. I asked 2 separate rangers before I decided they all had sticks up their butts and that it was a lost cause. They both said something along the lines of “Delta lake is a social trail, which means it is not maintained by the park. We strongly suggest you attempt the amphitheater and surprise lake trails instead” and I said, yeah that’s fine, I’ve already hiked those is it the same place? And once again word for word Park Ranger Frank (that was his name) repeated word for word what he had told me refusing to give me any information. So I was quite astounded after I asked him why he isn’t telling me information about it because, it is your freakin job, he started with all bologna. And honestly on top of that, not even in the slightest regard communicating to me like a normal human being. I was pretty pissed. I’ve visited a ton of National Parks and it seems the only park where rangers are absolute a-hole degenerate losers is in Teton National Park. So In closing I have no idea why they were trying to deter us from going to delta lake.

I will add, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE HIKE. It’s not difficult until you get to the unkept part, but even then, if you’ve ever hiked anything somewhat strenuous before it isn’t a problem. Absolutely breath taking views. Well worth it.

Oh and save yourself the headache and just don’t mention to the poop sniffing park rangers your headed to delta lake.

I love AllTrails. Thank you.

Hard but totally worth it

Hiked this trail with my wife and 2 teenage sons on September 26. Beautiful hike. It's rough getting there but well worth it. Unbelievable views of the lake and the valley.

Did this hike 2 days ago with my girlfriend. It is challenging, especially if you don’t choose the right path. If you follow the rockpiles, you end up passing the last boulder field on the left side which is steep and sandy, which makes it easy to slip, especially on the way down. I fell once on the way down, no injuries. However, we saw a woman that broke her arm due to tripping on the boulders and a teenage girl whose bear spray went off in her face when tripping. So go straight across the last boulder field, or even better: by bypassing underneath it. Delta lake is truly amazing, the colours are extraordinarily beautiful and it’s only lightly trafficked. The water was frozen on the side, so swimming was not an option for us. We reached the lake after 2.5 hours. Start with this lake and spend a good amount of time at it, before heading to Surprise and Amphitheater. Hiking those 2 lakes is a piece of cake although the switchbacks get rather boring. When you reach those lakes around 4 or 5-ish, most of the people will be gone so you have the lakes to yourself. Don’t bring too much water, a filter will do the job on this hike. On the way down we saw a brown bear eating berries and passing us at a distance of 1 meter which was scary and amazing at the same time. The elevation can be tough, especially if you’re from a flat country like ours (The Netherlands).

This hike was amazing. It was challenging especially if you’re not an avid hiker or used tot the elevation change.

Beware of the 3 boulder fields making sure you follow the cairns. Be careful and make sure you have more water than you think you will need.

We got a late start at 11am and made it up around 4:30pm with members in our group needing to stop to breathe every five minutes or so closer to the top.
The length of this hike is highly dependent on the fitness level of your weakest member.

Loved it was worth it when I got there!

This is an incredible hike. Challenging, with uphill almost the entire way up, but SO beyond worth it. Finishing the last switchback and moving on to the unmaintained trail was a pretty obvious choice on the path. The unmaintained trail over the boulders was difficult. There is a mini boulder field, a bigger one with the cairns to guide, then the largest one. We messed up on the largest boulder field....followed a group up to the top toward the left side of the mountain. Do not make this mistake!!!! Head across the boulders to the right and you will reconnect with the path to the lake.

We loved this hike. We are not avid hikers, and we definitely could feel the pain, but we still made it to the lake and had an amazing experience. Great views all the way to your destination!

Left the trailhead at 7:15 am, first one at the lake. Difficult, but well worth it. 2.5 hours up

Loved this hike and the view is well worth the difficulty. We are from Oregon so while we do lots of long hikes with good amounts of elevation gain this was still challenging. The last mile is the most difficult part. Lots of loose dirt and crossing boulder fields. Most boulder fields are well marked except the last one we came upon and hiked up a good amount in the wrong direction only to see two hikers come down from another area. We knocked down the inaccurate cairns and headed back down. It looks like the distance has been updated from 7 to 9 miles which is accurate according to our trackers. We heard a few other hikers had turned back on our way down because they couldn’t find the trail/it was too challenging. So basically it’s difficult but WORTH IT!

This... this is why we hike. Worth the effort. More simple to find than some reviews say. At the first switchback after the sign for 1.8 and 1.6 miles to Surprise and Amphitheater, take the trail on the right that descends a bit. You’ll have to climb under a downed tree, but then it’s smooth sailing from there. For the most part, there’s a clearly defined dirt path. On the boulder sections, there are cairns marking the way. Be sure to get an early start!

AWESOME

This is an excellent hike, but this is not a short hike as another reported, this is 3-6hr both ways, maybe even 7hr, depending on your speed. I'm not a seasoned hiker, but have hiked other hard trails, compared to those I would really categorize this as extra hard. No negative marks, just pointing out this is not for beginners. A hard hike but Awesome view at the end. Recommend committing half day for this hike if you plan staying and really enjoying the prize at the end of the trail.

Such a nice short hike! Did it to fill the day, along with amphitheater lake. Delta lake is the nicest, but steep. Green lake, wonderful background mountains.

This hike is difficult for the last mile. Went up with an off duty park ranger who was very helpful but mentioned that they have had to rescue 3 people this summer. Some from injury and one from lack of physical ability. He also said that there are black bears about 50% of the time. We did not see any however. If you are somewhat active and are willing to take your time you can do this hike. The pictures do not do the views justice. It is absolutely gorgeous at the top. Pack a light lunch and eat it at the top and enjoy God’s beauty.

Truly an awesome hike both ways. Took me about 2:20 to get to the top, stopping along the way to take in the views and catch a breather. Started at 8:30 am and was back at the car around 2. The transition to the Delta Lake trail isn’t hard to spot, as you just continue on straight and down instead of turning on the next switchback. This is where the trail gets difficult, but also where it’s most exciting. Climbing over and under fallen trees, navigating boulder fields (follow the dirty boulders from other hikers’ boots!), and that last steep incline up the waterfall. All worth it once you see the lake. I veered off the trail a few times in the boulder fields, but a quick look at the All Trails app helped me get back on track. Spent an hour at the top laying on a rock taking it all in. Still hard to believe really how beautiful it was! 11/10 would recommend.

I was pretty worried about this trail, but the extremely difficult parts are very short. Definitely doable. You have service most of the way, so I recommend keeping this app opening to follow the trail.

Challenging, and very rewarding view of Delta Lake at the top. Poles recommended.

I did this hike a little over a week ago and it was one of my favorites to date. It is very well marked until it splits off from the main trail and is no longer a maintained trail. I counted the switchbacks so I would know when to look for the split off. It is not obvious and you have to walk down slightly and then you pick up the trail. After that split it is fairly obvious where the trail is.

There is a first bolder field and after getting through it, stay to the right of the next section of boulders. I ended up scrambling up the rock face and missed the obvious trail to the right. It’s not the end of the world if you miss it, but would have been an easier way had I stayed in trail.

The lake itself is unbelievable. It truly looks as amazing as the photos. It took me an 1:40 to hike up and I stayed up there for about an hour. And then about 1:20 or less down.

Tough hike as you get closer to the lake with beautiful views. As you approach the trail sign for surprise Lake and Amphitheater Lake you basically walk back past it and begin the most difficult part of the hike, under fallen trees and climbing up boulder fields. Arriving at Delta Lake makes it all worth it though, the views are amazing!

Very difficult hike, be prepared for the challenge. The view is amazing and totally worth the climb.