Delta Lake Trail

Delta Lake Trail is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Beaver Creek, Wyoming that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

What an epic hike! Completed on 6/21. It was quite an adventure going off the maintained trail (Amphitheater lake trail). The trail is at first easy to follow, but once reaching the first boulder field, it is easy to get off track. There are many routes across the boulder field, but do not be tempted to go left of it. Cross it using your best judgement to route-find, then find the trail that skirts up the far side. There was lots of post-holing above 8700ft once the sun warmed the remaining snow, but there were no snow crossings longer than 50-60ft. I believe the hike was made easier for us by the snow covering the higher boulder fields. My best advice is to be ready to make decisions as it is not always obvious.
I agree with others that this hike is not for everyone, but does give the most unbelievable view of Grand. By far the best day hike I have ever completed.

We loved this hike. As you leave the forest portion of the hike, be sure to take time to enjoy the valley views. The final climb of bouldering/tree hopping is steeper then some might feel comfortable completing (especially on the descent), but the lake is incredible (and cold - take an icy dip) and there are plenty of places to peel around the water’s edge to gain your own slice of Delta privacy. Also, we spotted a young black bear as we dropped back down into the tree line (not interested, much less aggressive).

The hike was absolutely beautiful! Once we got to the “unmaintained” portion of the trail, I will say, it’s not for everyone. Personally we loved having to climb over fallen trees, rock fields, and walking through some snow. Best hiked first thing in the morning! Definitely bring bear spray, tons of water, and good shoes! The view is worth it all!

My husband and I hiked this 6/12. Very strenuous hike uphill but amazing views and wildflowers as far as you can see. We came up on a baby elk within the first mile. Where trail breaks off(it’s unmarked) towards Delta Lake we were not expecting packed snow, navigating boulders, and getting off track a few times. Luckily there were other hikers there to get us back on track. Be careful and tread cautiously. Easy to break thru the ice pack in certain areas. Once you get to Delta Lake you will be glad you persevered!

last part of the trail is washed out and not on the park maps anymore. great views on the way up

Hiked up 6/8 and there was still quite a bit of snow pack the last 0.7 miles. Otherwise, the trail was great. Didn’t use spikes or poles. Lots of post-holing through the snow (which is melting quickly!). Just take your time and be careful!

Hiked up most of the way May 31 st. The snow cover hid the trail and the boulder fields so we turned around. The hike still provided amazing views and was a lot of fun so I would still suggest it. The majority of the hike is moderate but that last portion that we went on was extremely steep. There was also a good variety of wildlife along the trail, including a black bear and a moose.

Water was freezing!

I'm not experienced hiker at all, that's why I chose moderate hike. It was amazing, but not so easy, I would put hard rank to this hike, because climbing through the rocks was not funny for me and my girlfriend at all:)) but no matter what never give up and the view was breathtaking!!! Just be ready to climb rocks. The last few meters of home was the most difficult but as I said it's all worth it! The view like in Switzerland, that's for sure! I did hike at the beginning of August!

my friend and I hiked this on 9/23 which was the beginning of snowfall. There were plenty of parking at the trailhead at around 9:40AM. Once we started to get on the unmaintained trail, we started to see snow on the grounds. There was lots of snow as you go higher on the boulders. It took us almost 4 hours to get to the lake because it was hard to follow footsteps since there was fresh snow in most areas but just go all the way to the end until you hear water..that's the water coming down from Delta. We went through the trees instead of the boulders because we didn't see the "second field of boulders " until later. Since there was so much snow, it was hard to gauge if there are cracks in between boulders so we did fall into cracks many many times. Trekking poles and gaiters are highly recommended to help with this. we only hungout for 15 minutes or so at the lake as it was snowing a lot and our feet were soaked. The snow did go up to thigh high at some points. We slipped a lot on our way down...but it took us about 2 hours going down. Unfortunately, the Tetons were covered by the clouds and lake was frozen but it was still very MAGICAL! will definitely have to come back when it isn't snowing

Not a huge hiker, get winded pretty fast. But this hike wasn't bad at all. Boulder fields are easy to get through too. Worst part was the elevation gain right after the second boulder field up to the lake. I definitely recommend this hike, it's breathing and overall not a long hike up and back.

Awesome hike ! Worth the time and pain!

This was a hard hike but well with it! The lake is gorgeous. The turn off is pretty easy to miss so you have to keep your eyes out.

Awesome hike, amazing lake. Last section gets steep and difficult. Highly recommend.

Beautiful and challenging hike if you aren't used to elevation. This has about a 2000" elevation change. I am decently in shape and it took me 4 hours to ascent and 2 to descent - i took my time. The entire hike is uphill, after leaving the official trail onto the unmarked, it becomes more challenging. The boulder fields took a lot of energy, and for someone not used to such heights took a little mental exercise too. It helps that the trail is heavily trafficked (both before and leaving the official trail). Make sure to wear proper footwear, the boulder field could potentially break an ankle if a misstep is taken. The lake was absolutely worth the hike, it was breathtakingly beautiful and the water is really that shade of turquoise.

The boulder field at the end is a bit challenging but if you follow the cairns you will make it up okay. The lake at the top is beautiful but there isn't much room so try and get there early. It's a busy trail by 8:30 to 9:00. Very good chance of seeing a black bear and other small wildlife.

Gorgeous hike, but strenuous. Steep climb crossing two boulder fields.

If you are not an experienced hiker, take caution. This is a hard hike. Specially if you have fear of heights.
3/4 of the path is a regular hike path. The real challenge comes when the rocks start.
You'll cross 2 sets of rocks which shake like crazy. 2/5 of my group stopped after the first set of rocks.
Next is another set of rocks and a steep climb to the lake.

Do not forget to download the map beforehand.
All this effort is worth it !

Hard work climbing up the boulder fields, but well worth it. We watched the eclipse from the top which made it absolutely amazing.

Once you get off the switch backs going to Amphitheater, it's actually quite a fun trail. It's definitely more challenging, but fun. I'd say it's more of a difficult hike than a moderate one, so be prepared to work for it. The lake at the end is well worth it!

Tough ascend but the most memorable place at the end!! Well worth it

Tough hike, uphill the whole way. Start on the busy trail to amphitheater then veer off over two boulder fields. Lake is stunning

Best hike in Grand Teton---but definitely not moderate. It's a hard hike but worth it!

This hike is awesome with beautiful valley and Teton views but gets hard after the turn to the Delta Lake route. The trail becomes very narrow and difficult to follow with hard boulder passes. Wear adequate hiking shoes and bring a lot of water. When you reach the lake, it is breathtaking!

Challenging but rewarding trail. Last portion is very steep but very rewarding when you get there. I would rate this trail moderate to difficult due to the rock slides you must climb over (I am an experienced hiker). Took 2 hours to get there.

This is one stellar hike, but don't get fooled, it is challenging to get here. This in part to the fact the the trail is unmarked and it's easy not to find it without a Topo map. I highly recommend a Topo map downloaded off line to get here. The last half mile of this hike is a steep ascend on boulders, so make sure you wear appropriate non slippage footwear. Trekking poles are helpful, but I hiked without them. Once you get here, the views are absolutely stunning. It was still some snow there on the lake. enjoy!!!

Awesome hike! The last half mile was definitely a little strenuous, but the view was worth it. Be ready for the boulders

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Did this summer of 2016. This doesn't seem to be heavily trafficked. You leave the main trail and then you have to do some bushwhacking and trail finding, depending on time of year. Depending on how familiar you are with GTNP, I probably wouldn't recommend attempting this without a Topo map app. The lake is beautiful, but remember it will probably be breezy and chilly. We boulder scrambled the final ascent, it was a little sketchy. The lake is worth it...sitting there with the Grand towering over you. Amazing.