Death Canyon to Patrol Cabin

Death Canyon to Patrol Cabin is a 7.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Jackson, Wyoming that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from July until September.

2030 feet

Grand Teton National Park P.O. Drawer 170 Moose, WY 83012-0170 Information (307) 739-3300 More information: http://www.nps.gov/grte/contacts.htm

loved it! did this trail up to the cabin in Aug, it was an amazing day!

I didnt do the whole hike because I did a lot of hiking over the past few days but I think I am giving this a 4 star because of being spoiled with the views of Cascade Canyon. Don't get me wrong, the view of the lake was pretty and the canyon was neat, but if you only got one big hike in you, I would do Cascade

Excellent hike. Takes 4-5 hours, with varied terrain and the trail never gets too steep. The top in the Canyon is well worth the trip, with beautiful walks through meadows, a nice trek of switchbacks along a stream, and a turnoff to go to Phelps Lake if you want a quick dip to cool off after!

The road leading to the trail turns into a very rough dirt road that requires four-wheel drive. Our car couldn't handle it so we had to walk that part to the trailhead. I don't recommend driving the road as it has huge holes, tons of rocks, and big wet areas. The hike is gorgeous and there is a ton of wildlife. We saw a Pika who had made his burrow right off the trail, tons of marmots, and pine marten. The trail is nice and easy to the gorgeous phelps lake lookout, but once you start the canyon it is rough the rest of the way. Cascade Canyon is way easier than this one, but Death Canyon is definitely worth it.

Great hike! Family-friendly. We only hiked as far as Phelps Lake Overlook. Incredible view!

Amazing hike. 100 feet of snow or so at the end. The last mile of the drive isn't really 4x4 as much as high clearance.

Only went up to the Phelps Lake lookout (1 mile in); would love to go back and see the cabin, at least!

Insanely verdant trail full of marmots and excellent views. We did get growled at by a mountain lion on the way back at sunset, so be wary that there are bears and mountain lions in the area. We carried bear spray